Geothermal Killing Iceland

I worked at the ATI (formerly Allegheny Ludlum) plant in Brackenridge Pa. and they haven`t used coal for the last 6 or 7 decades at least. Human beings are 18% carbon. Do you think we`re made from coal? :)
Coke and Carbon both come from Coal. Are you stating that ATI did not and does not use either?

3312 - Steel Works, Blast Furnaces (including Coke Ovens), and Rolling Mills | SIC Code List
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Directory

The SIC Directory contains a database of all the North American Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes. Use the search box or simply click on any category below.

Find Steel Works, Blast Furnaces (including Coke Ovens), and Rolling Mills Business & Services

SIC Code : 3312
Ati Allegheny Ludlum Corp

100 River Road Brackenridge, PA 15014
Business Type : B2B (Business to Business)

I worked at the ATI (formerly Allegheny Ludlum) plant in Brackenridge Pa. and they haven`t used coal for the last 6 or 7 decades at least. Human beings are 18% carbon. Do you think we`re made from coal? :)

Any way you phrase it, steel, even in an electric arc furnace, is made with carbon and or coke, to increase the heat.
Inspection Detail | Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Allegheny Ludlum
100 River Road
Brackenridge, PA 15014 Union Status: Union
SIC: 3312/Steel Works, Blast Furnaces (Including Coke Ovens), and Rolling Mills
NAICS: 331221/Rolled Steel Shape Manufacturing

And I am prepared to post two articles noting the vast number of deaths attributable to coal fired power plants- for every one article you post about geo thermal power.

Is Geo Thermal power impact free? Absolutely not- I have been around a geo thermal plant.

Are they as bad as coal?

Not by a long shot.
ah, you are mad? So sad, and yes, everything in a Geothermal Power Plant is or has carbon in it. The entire plant can be said, to be made of Carbon. All those millions of tons of steel pipes that geothermal eats through in Iceland, you make those coal. Without coal you can not make all that steel. How many tons of steel do they replace every year? You have no idea nor have you even considered it. And yes, we do understand that deaths occur with everything, but Green Clean Renewable energy are deaths you are specifically liable for. These are deaths you create because of your ideology. And remember, when you have to build a lot more stuff to replace one thing, you create a lot more deaths. Sad, call it Renewables or Clean or Green, and the Liberal Democrat Drones mindlessly can not see all that carbon or co2.
I was a steelworker from 1972 to 2006 and we never used coal. You had no idea.

Electric Arc Furnace Steelmaking
You'll have to excuse Elektra, she is really pretty ignorant about most industrial processes. She should stay where she belongs, in the kitchen. LOL

You'll have to excuse Elektra, she is really pretty ignorant about most industrial processes. She should stay where she belongs, in the kitchen. LOL
Why don't you take up the argument? Whats the matter, not as smart as a housewife? Can't make steel without coal, for the electricity. Can't make steel without coke, which comes from coal. Can't make steel without carbon, which comes from coal as well. Three facts. What facts have you got old crock, how about a link, please post a link old crock, that way I can use your link to show how you are wrong. Go ahead, we have been down this road before, I dare you old crock, post a link, go ahead, you know you want to, but you also know you screw yourself over every time. ha! ha!

The mining of metallurgical coal is not even a blip in the carbon budget. Yes, we use carbon for alloying steel, and in the anodes for the arc furnaces. Very little coal is used for melting the steel anymore. Far too slow.

The mining of metallurgical coal is not even a blip in the carbon budget. Yes, we use carbon for alloying steel, and in the anodes for the arc furnaces. Very little coal is used for melting the steel anymore. Far too slow.
Link liar link!

And I am prepared to post two articles noting the vast number of deaths attributable to coal fired power plants- for every one article you post about geo thermal power.

Is Geo Thermal power impact free? Absolutely not- I have been around a geo thermal plant.

Are they as bad as coal?

Not by a long shot.
ah, you are mad? So sad, and yes, everything in a Geothermal Power Plant is or has carbon in it. T

No- i am informed.

I didn't say that there was no carbon in a geo thermal power plant. You are just lying.

But a geo thermal power plant is not a carbon fuel based power plant- which is why you despise them- as you do any electrical power generation that does not include burning coal, oil or gas.

Are they as bad as coal?

Not by a long shot

.......a geo thermal power plant is not a carbon fuel based power plant- which is why you despise them-
Nice, you even get to dictate how I feel! That in itself shows that your comments are feeling based, not fact based.

I love geothermal plants, they pay me very good to inspect the pipes and components. An easy $15k a month.

Yet, even though they pay me a fortune, I am honest enough to state the shortcomings.

I would make a fortune if we had more, an easy quarter million a year!

Are they as bad as coal?

Not by a long shot.
Geothermal is worst than coal. It would take 100? 200? 300? Geothermal plants to equal the power of one modern coal plant.

Geothermal is thee most expensive energy that exists.

Geothermal can only be built and maintained by using steel which is only produced with coal.

Geothermal is toxic global warming hot spots.

Geothermal Fracks.

Geothermal Fracks toxic waste as well.

Geothermal weakens or cools as soon as you begin to use any one particular source.

The bottom line is, Geothermal is not Green or Clean nor should it be advocated to be tried everywhere.
Geothermal should be dead as a source of energy, it has failed. It has failed to be clean, it has failed to not produce c02, it has failed to save us from using more fossil fuels and coal. Technically, it will always use coal, as coke, to replace miles of pipes every year.

Geothermal power can't be 'tried everywhere'- only where geothermal activity is close to the surface- so that is a pretty stupid statement from the start.

Geothermal power is not absolutely clean- it is just much cleaner than coal.

The difference between coal and geo thermal for example- is that coal has to be mined- which is destructive and has harmful health implications- while geo-thermal utilizes natural emissions- which by themselves may be harmful- but are naturally occuring

http://geo-energy.org/reports/GeothermalGreenhouseEmissionsNov2012GEA_web.pdf
Distinguishing between natural and anthropogenic emissions associated with geothermal resource
development is difficult because
of the dispersed nature of natural emissions

.......a geo thermal power plant is not a carbon fuel based power plant- which is why you despise them-
Nice, you even get to dictate how I feel! !

No- I don't dictate how you feel- I am just commenting on your obsessive and passionate hatred for any power source that is not carbon fueled(coal, oil, gas)

You hate solar. You hate geo thermal. You hate wind.

But you never hate coal.

And you never compare the environmental impact of any of those- with coal.

Because your goal is to malign other industries- not to compare them with their competition.

Are they as bad as coal?

Not by a long shot.
Geothermal is worst than coal. It would take 100? 200? 300? Geothermal plants to equal the power of one modern coal plant.

Geothermal is thee most expensive energy that exists.

Geothermal can only be built and maintained by using steel which is only produced with coal.

Geothermal Fracks.

Geothermal weakens or cools as soon as you begin to use any one particular source.

Well lets talk about that:
a) Geo thermal plants don't produce as much as one modern coal plant- that by itself is neither a plus or a minus.
b) Expense is of course a serious consideration- how expensive is it compared to say coal?
Geothermal Basics - Power Plant Costs

According to studies, an economically competitive geothermal power plant can cost as low as $3400 per kilowatt installed. (1) While the cost of a new geothermal power plant is higher than that of a comparable natural gas facility, in the long run the two are similar over time. This is because natural gas construction costs account for only one third of the total price of the facility, while the cost of the fuel at a natural gas facility represents two thirds of the cost. The initial construction costs of a geothermal facility, in contrast, represent two thirds or more of total costs. So although initial investment is high for geothermal, natural gas and geothermal are still economically comparable over a long term.

Geothermal power plants are characterized by high capital investment for exploration, drilling wells, and plant installation, but low cost for operation and maintenance. In 2001, EPRIestimated that capital reimbursement and associated interest account for 65% of the total cost of geothermal power. (8) Capital costs of a combined cycle natural gas power plant, in contrast, only represents about 22% of the levelized cost of electricity produced from the plant, while the fossil fuel cost accounts for 67% . (9) However, geothermal plants have no fuel costs, and over a typical 30-year plant life the fuel costs for a natural gas or coal plant can represent twice their initial capital cost. Over the life of the plant, when you consider capital costs and total fuel costs, geothermal projects can be a sound investment.

Are they as bad as coal?

Not by a long shot.

Geothermal Fracks.

Every source of electrical power uses steel. The difference between a geothermal plant and a coal powered plant is while both use lots of steel- coal power plants burn even more coal making the power.

I have no idea what you think that sentence means.

Geothermal Fracks.

Do you consider fracking to be bad? As you know the vast majority of fracking is being done to produce natural gas and oil- are you against natural gas because of fracking?

Do you consider fracking to be bad? As you know the vast majority of fracking is being done to produce natural gas and oil- are you against natural gas because of fracking?

Geothermal weakens or cools as soon as you begin to use any one particular source

And coal mines eventually run out of coal, and gas wells eventually run out of gas. And?

What you have failed to do- in your tirade against geothermal- is compare health consequences from geothermal to health consequences from coal fired power plants.

Certainly we should all be concerned by a report that suggests that the proximity of a geothermal plant causes additional deaths.

Do you have that same concern with coal fired power plants? Thousands more of these- which are much more likely to be in close proximity to population centers.

Why don't you take up the argument? Whats the matter, not as smart as a housewife? Can't make steel without coal, for the electricity. Can't make steel without coke, which comes from coal. Can't make steel without carbon, which comes from coal as well. Three facts. What facts have you got old crock, how about a link, please post a link old crock, that way I can use your link to show how you are wrong. Go ahead, we have been down this road before, I dare you old crock, post a link, go ahead, you know you want to, but you also know you screw yourself over every time. ha! ha!

Well you have convinced me. We should not be wasting our precious coal using it to create electricity- we should preserve it to make steel.

Geothermal is probably also causing the undersea volcanism in Antarctica. It's probably no less likely than blaming the Antarctic melt on "global climate warming change"

LOL 'geothermal' is causing volcanism'?

Sure, the AGW Cult claim that atmospheric CO2 is heating the deep ocean, whose to say where it stops?

Well the Cult of the Science deniers like you who tell us that 'geothermal is causing volcanism'- who is to say where you will stop with the 'fake news'?

No- I don't dictate how you feel- I am just commenting on your obsessive and passionate hatred for any power source that is not carbon fueled(coal, oil, gas)

But you never hate coal.

Because your goal is to malign other industries- not to compare them with their competition.
Ha, ha, ha, and again you dictate how I feel. You don't always have to be a liar. Of course I should give you the benefit of the doubt. It is likely you believe everything you heard, and you believe everything you think and write is the truth. I must consider that you can not participate in forum such as this without becoming emotionally involved. I can see that you are not able to reason and think objectively. I can also see that you can not think of using your time to educate yourself about the subject at hand.

Solar is built with coal.
Wind is built with coal.
Geothermal is built with coal.

At that they have increased the use of coal. They do not replace or displace the use of coal.

It is really that simply.

But you never hate coal.

Ha, ha, ha, and again you dictate how I feel. .

Why do you believe that I am able to dictate how you 'feel'?

I am just pointing out the obvious- you hate any 'alternate' energy.

You attack wind, solar and now geothermal- and ignore coal.

Bizarrely you attack wind, solar and geothermal for health and environmental issues- and absolutely ignore those issues for coal or oil or gas.

You are just obsessively against anything that competes with coal.

Forum List

Back