Get ready the next NBA cleansing will be aimed at Orlando Magic owner

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Rich Devos will be the next target.

He and son Doug donated to anti-gay marriage group, and in America 2014 that means he must be stripped of everything, and soon they'll be calling for flogging in the public square.

Leading gay rights activist declares boycott on Amway for president's donation to anti-gay marriage group

Amway makes no apologies for president Doug DeVos' 'private gift' to anti-gay marriage group

ADA, MI - A leading national gay rights activist announced he is launching on Amway boycott three years after the direct selling giant's president donated $500,000 to a conservative group that has worked to ban gay marriage.

LGBT rights activist Fred Karger says he is officially announcing the boycott of the Ada-based company and other DeVos family businesses including the Orlando Magic basketball team during a press conference this afternoon in Las Vegas.

Karger says he has obtained tax records that show Doug DeVos gave $500,000 to the*National Organization for Marriage (NOM)*Education Fund through hisDouglas & Maria DeVos Foundation.

Karger called the gift "largest family donation to NOM in its history. Only the Catholic Church’s political arm the Knights of Columbus has given more to the ‘Hate Group’ NOM.”

The donation appears to have been made in 2009.

Fueled with large donations from the Catholic and the Mormon churches, the organization campaigned for Proposition 8 in California, a constitutional amendment to prohibit same sex marriage. The organizations supports similar efforts in other states.

"With four crucial gay marriage elections coming up on November 6 we feel that an Amway Boycott will send a message to Amway owners and other potential mega-donors that if you plan to give lots of money to anti-LGBT organizations like NOM or directly to the November anti-gay marriage campaigns we may well take action against you,” Karger said in a statement.

Fred Karger

Karger is the founder and president of*Rights Equal Rights,*created to fight Proposal 8. He was also a*gay Republican presidential candidate*until officially halting his campaign in June.

Amway's founding families have never been shy about their conservative views. They have given to many conservatives causes over the years including the Republican party.

Karger's press release hints that he wants to pressure Amway - which had sales of $10.9 billion last year - to make amends by donating to organizations that support gay rights.

“We at Rights Equal Rights (formerly Californians Against Hate) have conducted four (4) boycotts in the past of large donors to California’s Yes on Prop 8 and settled two of them," Karger said. "Those companies later gave equal amounts of money to LGBT organizations.”

Karger called Amway the biggest boycott target of Rights Equal Rights to date. He is asking people not only to avoid Amway's hundreds of products but the NBA basketball team Orlando Magic, which is owned by Amway co-founder Rich DeVos along with his hotels, car dealerships and fitness centers.

"Rights Equal Rights will be rolling out many more activities over the next several months and years, asking people all over the world who believe in equality to boycott Amway and all its subsidiaries!," Karger said.
Leading gay rights activist declares boycott on Amway for president's donation to anti-gay marriage group | MLive.com

Yep, they're starting to talk about him.

While We’re On The Subject, The Orlando Magic’s Owner Is Vehemently Opposed To Gay Rights…

Richard DeVos considers himself a prototypical Christian of sorts, who seeks to reunite two long divided Protestant sects. DeVos is very religious, and lives his life by the word of the Christian Reformed Church, which should mean something like “we are all God’s children and in this thing together.” Apparently not. Judging by this interview, the billionaire Agway co-founder selects his acts of charity for people he deems deserving. Read what he told mLive back in 2009, and let it slosh around in that skull of yours for a while.

[mLive] Q: You gave $100,000 to the effort to defeat the recognition of gay marriage in Florida. Why did you choose to put money behind that cause?

A: Because I believe in it. That’s just a sacred issue of respecting marriage. It was not an anti-gay thing.

I have been hung in effigy by the gay community for a long time, from when I was on President Reagan’s first AIDS commission…

From that point on, that’s when they were hanging me in effigy because I wasn’t sympathetic to all of their requests for special treatment. Because at that time it was always somebody else’s fault. And I said, “You are responsible for your actions, too, you know. Conduct yourself properly,” which is a pretty solid Christian principle. You’ve got to take responsibility for your actions. It went from there to a series of requests for special treatment…

…Call [gay marriage] something else. Call it anything you want to.*But marriage is a sacred document, OK?*A sacred sacrament in the church and in the world.*Don’t mess with it.

Go do something else. I deal with a lot of wonderful gay people. I hire a lot of them. I use a lot of them. I respect them. They’re terrific. I am good friends with them. But you live your life the way you want to live and I’ll live mine and I won’t stick my nose in yours.*But don’t keep trying to change things.That’s all.

His insistence that gay folks shouldn’t “keep trying to change things” sounds like the most callous, simple, and ignorant way to view the issue of gay rights — something he also deems “favors.” Because “helping thy neighbor” is “special treatment” when it comes to laws enacted to deter hate crimes, the spread of HIV/AIDS, and workplace discrimination.

Hey, this isn’t nearly the same thing as Donald Sterling’s recorded hate-rant. It is, however, food for thought when discussing the NBA as*a place for everyone, vis-a-vis the opinions held by the owners.

The Magic Owner Is Not A Fan Of Gay Rights | NBA & Sterling | SportsGrid

This will be a perfect setup for anyone to easily and frequently surreptitiously record any number of black NBA players disparaging homos. When those tapes are exposed they'll have to disband the entire league. Awesome!

Forum List

Back