🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Getting To Be ‘Woke’

Curious that all the schools in those Red states are still controlled by Dems. I guess the GOP doesn't care about education, at least not public school education.

Nothing curious about it, except to people who are willfully obtuse.

Being a "red state" doesn't mean there are no Democrats living in it. And leftists have long since barricaded the doors of academia to make it impossible for conservatives to even get into the system, let alone to change it.

Conservative parents, on the other hand, really don't give a damn about public school education when compared to their own children's education. This is why more and more of them are abandoning that asylum to the lunatics in charge, and putting their kids in private schools, charter schools, or home school. Only a fool decides that an institution is more important than their responsibility to the people they love.
"Conservative parents, on the other hand, really don't give a damn about public school education when compared to their own children's education".
So I'm correct, conservatives and the GOP don't care about public school education and the "death spiral". Even when they are in the majority. In this case, being right doesn't make me happy.

Did they ever care or were desegregation and busing the final straws?

I know you thought that cutting off part of what I said was somehow going to make it awful and shameful, but I actually have no problem with it. NO, we do NOT give a rat's ass about public schools in and of themselves.

Here's a little knowledge to put into your otherwise vacant skull: institutions have no intrinsic value. They are not important and meaningful in and of themselves. Humans are; institutions are valuable only to the extent that they serve humans and are useful. Public schools do not serve conservative parents and are not useful to them, therefore they are valueless.

WE care about our children; you, apparently, care more about institutions than kids. And you try to hide your willingness to sacrifice kids to your political agenda by screaming, "YOU DISAGREE WITH ME BECAUSE YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE!" For the record, trying to make every conversation about race and calling people "racist!" just marks YOU out as the bigot here. I couldn't care less about race; YOU, apparently, can't see anything else.

You really need to drop the schtick. Explain to us why a private school or homeschool is supposedly more effective.

Home-schooled student surpass government school students in every category and metric.

"New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

Ian Slatter
Director of Media Relations

August 10, 2009

Each year, the homeschool movement graduates at least 100,000 students. Due to the fact that both the United States government and homeschool advocates agree that homeschooling has been growing at around 7% per annum for the past decade, it is not surprising that homeschooling is gaining increased attention. Consequently, many people have been asking questions about homeschooling, usually with a focus on either the academic or social abilities of homeschool graduates.

As an organization advocating on behalf of homeschoolers, Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) long ago committed itself to demonstrating that homeschooling should be viewed as a mainstream educational alternative.

We strongly believe that homeschooling is a thriving education movement capable of producing millions of academically and socially able students who will have a tremendously positive effect on society.

Despite much resistance from outside the homeschool movement, whether from teachers unions, politicians, school administrators, judges, social service workers, or even family members, over the past few decades homeschoolers have slowly but surely won acceptance as a mainstream education alternative. This has been due in part to the commissioning of research which demonstrates the academic success of the average homeschooler.

The last piece of major research looking at homeschool academic achievement was completed in 1998 by Dr. Lawrence Rudner. Rudner, a professor at the ERIC Clearinghouse, which is part of the University of Maryland, surveyed over 20,000 homeschooled students. His study, titled Home Schooling Works, discovered that homeschoolers (on average) scored about 30 percentile points higher than the national average on standardized achievement tests.

This research and several other studies supporting the claims of homeschoolers have helped the homeschool cause tremendously. Today, you would be hard pressed to find an opponent of homeschooling who says that homeschoolers, on average, are poor academic achievers.

There is one problem, however. Rudner’s research was conducted over a decade ago. Without another look at the level of academic achievement among homeschooled students, critics could begin to say that research on homeschool achievement is outdated and no longer relevant.

Recognizing this problem, HSLDA commissioned Dr. Brian Ray, an internationally recognized scholar and president of the non-profit National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI), to collect data for the 2007–08 academic year for a new study which would build upon 25 years of homeschool academic scholarship conducted by Ray himself, Rudner, and many others.

Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

National Average Percentile Scores

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

a. Core is a combination of Reading, Language, and Math.
b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test.

There was little difference between the results of homeschooled boys and girls on core scores.

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Household income had little impact on the results of homeschooled students.

$34,999 or less—85th percentile
$35,000–$49,999—86th percentile
$50,000–$69,999—86th percentile
$70,000 or more—89th percentile

The education level of the parents made a noticeable difference, but the homeschooled children of non-college educated parents still scored in the 83rd percentile, which is well above the national average.

Neither parent has a college degree—83rd percentile
One parent has a college degree—86th percentile
Both parents have a college degree—90th percentile

Whether either parent was a certified teacher did not matter.

Certified (i.e., either parent ever certified)—87th percentile
Not certified (i.e., neither parent ever certified)—88th percentile

Parental spending on home education made little difference.

Spent $600 or more on the student—89th percentile
Spent under $600 on the student—86th percentile

The extent of government regulation on homeschoolers did not affect the results.

Low state regulation—87th percentile
Medium state regulation—88th percentile
High state regulation—87th percentile

HSLDA defines the extent of government regulation this way:

States with low regulation: No state requirement for parents to initiate any contact or State requires parental notification only.

States with moderate regulation: State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress.

State with high regulation: State requires parents to send notification or achievement test scores and/or professional evaluation, plus other requirements (e.g. curriculum approval by the state, teacher qualification of parents, or home visits by state officials).

The question HSLDA regularly puts before state legislatures is, “If government regulation does not improve the results of homeschoolers why is it necessary?”

In short, the results found in the new study are consistent with 25 years of research, which show that as a group homeschoolers consistently perform above average academically. The Progress Report also shows that, even as the numbers and diversity of homeschoolers have grown tremendously over the past 10 years, homeschoolers have actually increased the already sizeable gap in academic achievement between themselves and their public school counterparts-moving from about 30 percentile points higher in the Rudner study (1998) to 37 percentile points higher in the Progress Report (2009).

As mentioned earlier, the achievement gaps that are well-documented in public school between boys and girls, parents with lower incomes, and parents with lower levels of education are not found among homeschoolers. While it is not possible to draw a definitive conclusion, it does appear from all the existing research that homeschooling equalizes every student upwards. Homeschoolers are actually achieving every day what the public schools claim are their goals—to narrow achievement gaps and to educate each child to a high level.

Of course, an education movement which consistently shows that children can be educated to a standard significantly above the average public school student at a fraction of the cost—the average spent by participants in the Progress Report was about $500 per child per year as opposed to the public school average of nearly $10,000 per child per year—will inevitably draw attention from the K-12 public education industry."
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp
These results don't surprise me at all. The most critical role in education is the parents one. If they care about education then the kids will do well, regardless of where they go to school. Homeschoolers are a self-selected group whose parents are concerned about education, it makes sense their kids will do well regardless of the reasons for the homeschooling. Same goes for charter schools. I'm fine with both so long as children whose parents are less serious can still get a decent public school education.

Public schools do not serve conservative parents and are not useful to them, therefore they are valueless.
Conservative parents are welcome to homeschool their kids or take advantage of private/charter schools, I have no problem with either. Ideally though, they should get involved in their local public schools and make them better for everyone.

They are wrong about public schools not being useful to them since they and their children will have to share the country and having a class children who get an inadequate education has dire consequences for everyone. Regardless of race.

BTW, I like to shorten long threads but I try not to change the writers intent. My apologies if I did.

Are we supposed to be a color-blind society or not? Hierarchy doesn't involve skin color, it involves net worth:
View attachment 258032

So are we playing the race card again or not?
Is it about family formation and being raised by a mother AND a father that leads to success?
Or is it about IQ and who works hard in school and gets a decent job?
So does trying to play the race card make you a fool? (we're color blind and not buying that one)

The race card has been played since 1641. It was invented by whites. Your post is gibberish.

You one of those low IQ guys? I'll try typing slower.......
1. Are we playing the race card or not? Yes or no, I thought we're a color-blind society?
2. You remind me of that prof that Obama had the "beer summit" with, with that race chip on his shoulder, and that color-blind police officer who didn't take his bullshit.
3. This article is basically what I was hinting at

Family Structure: The Growing Importance of Class

You one of those low IQ guys? I'll try typing slower...….The race card has been played since 1641. It was invented by whites.

Are you talking about historian Henry Louis Gates who was racially profiled by that white cop while in his own garage?

Your post is gibberish.

Correct, Henry Louis Gates Jr. - Wikipedia.
was breaking into his own home, the police were called by neighbors to investigate...he was not profiled....you know the rest....his attitude got him arrested...

1. The race card has been played since the beginning of time. It was not invented in 1641 here in the US.
2. Still waiting for a simple Yes/No answer from you, are we a color-blind society? (I'd like to think so)
3. Are there racists here in the US?
ans: there are "subtle" racists in US society, I don't know what to do about it. This is from wiki:
Racism in the United States - Wikipedia

"Sociologist Russ Long stated in 2013 that there is now a more subtle racism that associates a specific race with a specific characteristic. In a 1993 study conducted by Katz and Braly, it was presented that "blacks and whites hold a variety of stereotypes towards each other, often negative". The Katz and Braley study also found that African-Americans and whites view the traits that they identify each other with as threatening, interracial communication between the two is likely to be "hesitant, reserved, and concealing". Interracial communication is guided by stereotypes; stereotypes are transferred into personality and character traits which then have an effect on communication."

I hope that as the economy improves that relations improve and people are generally happier with their lives. I don't like when the dems start their "urban plantation" racial bullshit about "reparations" and Biden's "they'll put y'all back in chains" garbage.

That poor boy can't change, and can't admit the truth.

This is what he has tied himself to, whether he even believes it or not.

Destroying him as we have is a lesson for any who may not have questioned the Liberal orthodoxy of hate and victimization.

Lol!

I don't think I need your explanation of what kind of racism occurs in this country.

Gates was profiled by his neighbors and he had every right to be angry about getting done that way in his home. His neighbors knew who he was. The entire incident was unnecessary.

You pay reparations to native Americans every year, so no one wants to hear your racist musings about reparations.

You aren't going to get jack son.

I don't care. If we don't get what we are owed this nation will lose everything it's got.

Nope, we'll be fine.

Actually, you aren't. But stay fooled.

Actually I am, I'm inoculated for all types of parasites. Including you.

Seems that you guys have been the parasites.

"I don't think I need your explanation of what kind of racism occurs in this country."

Had you stopped writing after the first thee words, this would have been an exceptionally honest post.

Really?

Ever since the first Asians arrived in America, there has been anti-Asian racism. This includes prejudice and acts of discrimination. For more than 200 years, Asian Americans have been denied equal rights, subjected to harassment and hostility, had their rights revoked and imprisoned for no justifiable reason, physically attacked, and murdered.

Ethnic Competition Leads to Violence
As the section on Asian American history discussed, numerous acts of discrimination against Chinese immigrants culminated in the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. For the first and so far only time in American history, an entire ethnic group was singled out and forbidden to step foot on American soil. Although this was not the first such anti-Asian incident, it symbolizes the legacy of racism directed against our community.

It was followed by numerous denials of justice against Chinese and Japanese immigrants seeking to claim equal treatment to land ownership, citizenship, and other rights in state and federal court in the early 1900s. Many times, Asians were not even allowed to testify in court. Perhaps the most infamous episode of anti-Asian racism was the unjustified imprisonment of Japanese Americans during World War II -- done solely on the basis of their ethnic ancestry.

lynch1.jpg
One may think that as the Asian American population becomes larger and more integrated into the mainstream American social and political institutions that incidents of anti-Asian racism would occur less often. In fact, the opposite has been true. The last 20 years or so has seen Asian Americans become the fastest-growing targets for hate crimes and violence.

It seems that whenever there are problems in American society, political or economic, there always seems to be the need for a scapegoat -- someone or a group of people who is/are singled out, unjustifiably blamed, and targeted with severe hostility. Combined with the cultural stereotype of Asian Americans as quiet, weak, and powerless, more and more Asian Americans are victimized, solely on the basis of being an Asian American.

License to Commit Murder = $3,700
Perhaps the most graphic and shocking incident that illustrates this process was the murder of Vincent Chin in 1982. Vincent was beaten to death by two White men (Ronald Ebens and Michael Nitz) who called him a "jap" (even though he was Chinese American) and blamed him and Japanese automakers for the current recession and the fact that they were about to lose their jobs. After a brief scuffle inside a local bar/night club, Vincent tried to run for his life until he was cornered nearby, held down by Nitz while Ebens repeatedly smashed his skull and bludgeoned him to death with a baseball bat.

The equally tragic part of this murder were how Vincent's murderers were handled by the criminal justice system. First, instead of being put on trial for second degree murder (intentionally killing someone but without premeditation), the prosecutor instead negotiated a plea bargain for reduced charges of manslaughter (accidentally killing someone). Second, the judge in the case sentenced each man to only two years probation and a $3,700 fine -- absolutely no jail time at all.

The judge defended these sentences by stating that his job was to fit the punishment not just to the crime, but also to the perpetrators. In this case, as he argued, both Ebens and Nitz had no prior criminal record and were both employed at the time of the incident. Therefore, the judge reasoned that neither man represented a threat to society. However, others had a different interpretation of the light sentences. They argued that what the judge was basically saying was that as long as you have no prior criminal record and have a job, you could buy a license to commit murder for $3,700.

Anti-Asian Racism & Violence : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

It appears that you are asleep.

You one of those low IQ guys? I'll try typing slower...….The race card has been played since 1641. It was invented by whites.

Are you talking about historian Henry Louis Gates who was racially profiled by that white cop while in his own garage?

Your post is gibberish.

Correct, Henry Louis Gates Jr. - Wikipedia.
was breaking into his own home, the police were called by neighbors to investigate...he was not profiled....you know the rest....his attitude got him arrested...

1. The race card has been played since the beginning of time. It was not invented in 1641 here in the US.
2. Still waiting for a simple Yes/No answer from you, are we a color-blind society? (I'd like to think so)
3. Are there racists here in the US?
ans: there are "subtle" racists in US society, I don't know what to do about it. This is from wiki:
Racism in the United States - Wikipedia

"Sociologist Russ Long stated in 2013 that there is now a more subtle racism that associates a specific race with a specific characteristic. In a 1993 study conducted by Katz and Braly, it was presented that "blacks and whites hold a variety of stereotypes towards each other, often negative". The Katz and Braley study also found that African-Americans and whites view the traits that they identify each other with as threatening, interracial communication between the two is likely to be "hesitant, reserved, and concealing". Interracial communication is guided by stereotypes; stereotypes are transferred into personality and character traits which then have an effect on communication."

I hope that as the economy improves that relations improve and people are generally happier with their lives. I don't like when the dems start their "urban plantation" racial bullshit about "reparations" and Biden's "they'll put y'all back in chains" garbage.

I don't think I need your explanation of what kind of racism occurs in this country.

Gates was profiled by his neighbors and he had every right to be angry about getting done that way in his home. His neighbors knew who he was. The entire incident was unnecessary.

You pay reparations to native Americans every year, so no one wants to hear your racist musings about reparations.

I don't care. If we don't get what we are owed this nation will lose everything it's got.

"If we don't get what we are owed this nation will lose everything it's got."

I certainly agree.....hoping that you get what you are owed......

....we'll miss you.

The Definition of Cruel and Unusual Punishment
The recent case of Wen Ho Lee further symbolizes not just how authorities can be not just insensitive to Asian Americans but also outright hostile to us as well. Dr. Lee was working as a research scientist at the Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory on military missile systems. In the midst of national hysteria about nuclear secrets being passed onto China in 1999, Dr. Lee was arrested and charged with 59 counts of mishandling classified information.

His arrest was one thing. But again, the most outrageous part of the story was how he was subsequently treated by the "criminal justice" system. Dr. Lee was denied bail, kept in solitary confinement, and forced to wear leg shackles and chains for nine months. Keep in mind that he was never charge with espionage -- just mishandling classified documents. All the while, the U.S. Justice Department struggled to build a case against him.

Finally, in September 2000, just two days before they were forced to produce documents to support their case against him, the government dropped all but one of those 59 charges against him. This was also after everyone learned that an FBI agent provided false testimony about Dr. Lee in the initial investigation. Dr. Lee was finally released after pleading guilty to one count of mishandling computer data. At his release hearing, the presiding judge in the case took the unprecedented step of apologizing to Dr. Lee:
I sincerely apologize to you, Doctor Lee, for the unfair manner in which you were held in custody by the executive branch. They have embarrassed our entire nation and each of us who is a citizen of it.

The world-renowned New York Times also issued an official apology to its readers regarding its coverage of Dr. Lee's situation. The Times admitted that they did not do the proper research and factfinding when they first investigated the story and that they were wrong in presuming Dr. Lee was guilty and wrong for helping to convict him in the court of media sensationalism and public opinion. Finally, in August 2001, the Justice Department released a report that criticized the Energy Department for providing inaccurate, incomplete, and misleading information to the FBI and the FBI for failing to investigate and verify that information in its case against Wen Ho Lee.

Dr. Lee's case is yet another example of government-sanctioned scapegoating and racial profiling -- singling out someone to take the blame for some overexagerated problem just because of his/her race or ethnicity. Sadly, it is a continuation of a pattern of anti-Asian racism that continues to target our community, based again on the two predominant stereotypes against us -- that we're all the same and that we're all foreigners and therefore, not American.

Anti-Asian Racism & Violence : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

Check yourself before you run your mouth Asian.

Curious that all the schools in those Red states are still controlled by Dems. I guess the GOP doesn't care about education, at least not public school education.

Being a "red state" doesn't mean there are no Democrats living in it. And leftists have long since barricaded the doors of academia to make it impossible for conservatives to even get into the system, let alone to change it.

Conservative parents, on the other hand, really don't give a damn about public school education when compared to their own children's education. This is why more and more of them are abandoning that asylum to the lunatics in charge, and putting their kids in private schools, charter schools, or home school. Only a fool decides that an institution is more important than their responsibility to the people they love.
"Conservative parents, on the other hand, really don't give a damn about public school education when compared to their own children's education".
So I'm correct, conservatives and the GOP don't care about public school education and the "death spiral". Even when they are in the majority. In this case, being right doesn't make me happy.

I know you thought that cutting off part of what I said was somehow going to make it awful and shameful, but I actually have no problem with it. NO, we do NOT give a rat's ass about public schools in and of themselves.

Here's a little knowledge to put into your otherwise vacant skull: institutions have no intrinsic value. They are not important and meaningful in and of themselves. Humans are; institutions are valuable only to the extent that they serve humans and are useful. Public schools do not serve conservative parents and are not useful to them, therefore they are valueless.

WE care about our children; you, apparently, care more about institutions than kids. And you try to hide your willingness to sacrifice kids to your political agenda by screaming, "YOU DISAGREE WITH ME BECAUSE YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE!" For the record, trying to make every conversation about race and calling people "racist!" just marks YOU out as the bigot here. I couldn't care less about race; YOU, apparently, can't see anything else.

You really need to drop the schtick. Explain to us why a private school or homeschool is supposedly more effective.

Home-schooled student surpass government school students in every category and metric.

Ian Slatter

August 10, 2009

Each year, the homeschool movement graduates at least 100,000 students. Due to the fact that both the United States government and homeschool advocates agree that homeschooling has been growing at around 7% per annum for the past decade, it is not surprising that homeschooling is gaining increased attention. Consequently, many people have been asking questions about homeschooling, usually with a focus on either the academic or social abilities of homeschool graduates.

As an organization advocating on behalf of homeschoolers, Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) long ago committed itself to demonstrating that homeschooling should be viewed as a mainstream educational alternative.

We strongly believe that homeschooling is a thriving education movement capable of producing millions of academically and socially able students who will have a tremendously positive effect on society.

Despite much resistance from outside the homeschool movement, whether from teachers unions, politicians, school administrators, judges, social service workers, or even family members, over the past few decades homeschoolers have slowly but surely won acceptance as a mainstream education alternative. This has been due in part to the commissioning of research which demonstrates the academic success of the average homeschooler.

The last piece of major research looking at homeschool academic achievement was completed in 1998 by Dr. Lawrence Rudner. Rudner, a professor at the ERIC Clearinghouse, which is part of the University of Maryland, surveyed over 20,000 homeschooled students. His study, titled Home Schooling Works, discovered that homeschoolers (on average) scored about 30 percentile points higher than the national average on standardized achievement tests.

This research and several other studies supporting the claims of homeschoolers have helped the homeschool cause tremendously. Today, you would be hard pressed to find an opponent of homeschooling who says that homeschoolers, on average, are poor academic achievers.

There is one problem, however. Rudner’s research was conducted over a decade ago. Without another look at the level of academic achievement among homeschooled students, critics could begin to say that research on homeschool achievement is outdated and no longer relevant.

Recognizing this problem, HSLDA commissioned Dr. Brian Ray, an internationally recognized scholar and president of the non-profit National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI), to collect data for the 2007–08 academic year for a new study which would build upon 25 years of homeschool academic scholarship conducted by Ray himself, Rudner, and many others.

Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test.

There was little difference between the results of homeschooled boys and girls on core scores.

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

The education level of the parents made a noticeable difference, but the homeschooled children of non-college educated parents still scored in the 83rd percentile, which is well above the national average.

The extent of government regulation on homeschoolers did not affect the results.

States with low regulation: No state requirement for parents to initiate any contact or State requires parental notification only.

States with moderate regulation: State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress.

State with high regulation: State requires parents to send notification or achievement test scores and/or professional evaluation, plus other requirements (e.g. curriculum approval by the state, teacher qualification of parents, or home visits by state officials).

The question HSLDA regularly puts before state legislatures is, “If government regulation does not improve the results of homeschoolers why is it necessary?”

In short, the results found in the new study are consistent with 25 years of research, which show that as a group homeschoolers consistently perform above average academically. The Progress Report also shows that, even as the numbers and diversity of homeschoolers have grown tremendously over the past 10 years, homeschoolers have actually increased the already sizeable gap in academic achievement between themselves and their public school counterparts-moving from about 30 percentile points higher in the Rudner study (1998) to 37 percentile points higher in the Progress Report (2009).

As mentioned earlier, the achievement gaps that are well-documented in public school between boys and girls, parents with lower incomes, and parents with lower levels of education are not found among homeschoolers. While it is not possible to draw a definitive conclusion, it does appear from all the existing research that homeschooling equalizes every student upwards. Homeschoolers are actually achieving every day what the public schools claim are their goals—to narrow achievement gaps and to educate each child to a high level.

Of course, an education movement which consistently shows that children can be educated to a standard significantly above the average public school student at a fraction of the cost—the average spent by participants in the Progress Report was about $500 per child per year as opposed to the public school average of nearly $10,000 per child per year—will inevitably draw attention from the K-12 public education industry."
HSLDA: New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

Try using information that is not from the home school legal defense fund.

Pros of Public School:

• Learning within a group setting
  • Extra-curricular activity availability
  • More curriculum opportunities
  • Diverse social education
Cons of Public School:

• High student-teacher ratio
  • Less independence (scheduled learning)
  • School chooses curriculum
  • Peers based on area instead of choice
Pros of Home School

• Free to choose curriculum
  • Free to choose schedule
  • Small teacher to student ratio
  • Teaches students to be independent in their learning choices
Cons of Home School

• Usually more expensive than public school
  • Teachers are not always qualified to teach all subjects
  • It’s harder to provide social interaction
  • Colleges sometimes have stricter admission policies concerning homeschooled students.
Public School vs Home School - Education Bug

Ian Slatter

August 10, 2009

The Results

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

Cons of Home School

• Colleges sometimes have stricter admission policies concerning homeschooled students.

Standardized test results for 16,000 home educated children, grades K-12, were analyzed in 1994 by researcher Dr. Brian Ray. He found the nationwide grand mean in reading for homeschoolers was at the 79th percentile; for language and math, the 73rd percentile. This ranking means home-educated students performed better than approximately 77% of the sample population on whom the test was normed. Nearly 80% of homeschooled children achieved individual scores above the national average and 54.7% of the 16,000 homeschoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter. 1

A Harvard University (MA) admissions officer said most of their home-educated students "have done very well. They usually are very motivated in what they do." Results of the SAT and SAT II, an essay, an interview, and a letter of recommendation are the main requirements for home-educated applicants. "[Transcripts are] irrelevant because a transcript is basically a comparison to other students in the school."

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000017.asp

Still, many admissions officials say they are becoming more at ease with applicants who took alternative paths, if for no other reason than it’s a booming market. Almost 2 million American students are educated at home, and more than 80 percent of colleges have formal policies for assessing these applicants – up from 52 percent in 2000.

Chicago Tribune - Historical Newspapers

The number of home-learners in Massachusetts is about 9,000—1.2% of all students—up from approximately 3,000 in 1983, said Patrick Farenga, publisher of Growing Without Schooling magazine in Cambridge, Mass. This increase is remarkable in an era of two-income families because it pretty much requires one dedicated parent (generally the mother) at some financial sacrifice.
Account Suspended

For Carey, home-schooled since she was 2, acceptances are more than an entrance ticket to a college classroom--she's already taken courses and will earn a Harvard Extension School associate's degree (AA) in June--they are evidence her schooling is as rigorous and legitimate as those earning traditional high school diplomas.
Harvard Professional Development | Harvard DCE

Recent statistics from The College Board and the American College Testing Program (ACT) indicate that home schoolers are exceeding the national average test scores on both the SAT and the ACT college entrance exams. In 1999, the 2219 students who identified themselves as home schooled students on the SAT test, scored an average of 1083 (verbal 548, math 535), 67 points above the national average of 1016. A perfect SAT score is 1600. Also in 1999, 3616 home school students taking the ACT scored an average of 22.7, compared to the national average of 21, a perfect score being 36.
College-bound Home Schoolers Make Headlines (HSLDA | National Center News)

Everything I did was only possible because my parents were dedicated and loving enough to homeschool my sister and me. My mother, a former Montessori teacher and author of several children’s books, took the time to instruct us every day. Aside from textbook lessons, she had us perform many exercises designed to stimulate our creativity.
How Homeschooling Works

Bet you weren't homeschooled, huh?

Ian Slatter

August 10, 2009

The Results

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

Cons of Home School

Standardized test results for 16,000 home educated children, grades K-12, were analyzed in 1994 by researcher Dr. Brian Ray. He found the nationwide grand mean in reading for homeschoolers was at the 79th percentile; for language and math, the 73rd percentile. This ranking means home-educated students performed better than approximately 77% of the sample population on whom the test was normed. Nearly 80% of homeschooled children achieved individual scores above the national average and 54.7% of the 16,000 homeschoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter. 1

A Harvard University (MA) admissions officer said most of their home-educated students "have done very well. They usually are very motivated in what they do." Results of the SAT and SAT II, an essay, an interview, and a letter of recommendation are the main requirements for home-educated applicants. "[Transcripts are] irrelevant because a transcript is basically a comparison to other students in the school."

HSLDA | Homeschooled Students Excel in College

Still, many admissions officials say they are becoming more at ease with applicants who took alternative paths, if for no other reason than it’s a booming market. Almost 2 million American students are educated at home, and more than 80 percent of colleges have formal policies for assessing these applicants – up from 52 percent in 2000.

The number of home-learners in Massachusetts is about 9,000—1.2% of all students—up from approximately 3,000 in 1983, said Patrick Farenga, publisher of Growing Without Schooling magazine in Cambridge, Mass. This increase is remarkable in an era of two-income families because it pretty much requires one dedicated parent (generally the mother) at some financial sacrifice.
Account Suspended

For Carey, home-schooled since she was 2, acceptances are more than an entrance ticket to a college classroom--she's already taken courses and will earn a Harvard Extension School associate's degree (AA) in June--they are evidence her schooling is as rigorous and legitimate as those earning traditional high school diplomas.

Recent statistics from The College Board and the American College Testing Program (ACT) indicate that home schoolers are exceeding the national average test scores on both the SAT and the ACT college entrance exams. In 1999, the 2219 students who identified themselves as home schooled students on the SAT test, scored an average of 1083 (verbal 548, math 535), 67 points above the national average of 1016. A perfect SAT score is 1600. Also in 1999, 3616 home school students taking the ACT scored an average of 22.7, compared to the national average of 21, a perfect score being 36.

Everything I did was only possible because my parents were dedicated and loving enough to homeschool my sister and me. My mother, a former Montessori teacher and author of several children’s books, took the time to instruct us every day. Aside from textbook lessons, she had us perform many exercises designed to stimulate our creativity.
How Homeschooling Works

Since standardized tests have been proven not to be accurate in measuring IQ, let me know when you wake up.

Nope, we'll be fine.

Actually, you aren't. But stay fooled.

Actually I am, I'm inoculated for all types of parasites. Including you.

Seems that you guys have been the parasites.

Says the little man demanding white folk's money.

Ian Slatter

August 10, 2009

The Results

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

Cons of Home School

Account Suspended

How Homeschooling Works

Since standardized tests have been proven not to be accurate in measuring IQ, let me know when you wake up.

Good to see you don't mind taking a beating in every post.

Most folks actually like to be right once in a while.....

4.The distinction between the views of the Left and the Right in education is about which comes first: achievement or self-esteem. Progressive Education aims to “level the playing field.” Translation: “lower the standards.” Everyone’s work goes up on the walls because it’s not fair to judge a child’s work as there are no wrong answers, only life experiences.

‘Lost in all the chanting for change is the core commitment to impart actual knowledge. For progressives in the Age of Obama, setting high academic standards is secondary to the self-improvement of the "whole child" and "service" to the cause of social justice.’ The Three R's in the Age of Obama: Rappin', Revolution and Radicalism

Research demonstrates that true self-esteem arise from true achievement, and also shows that kids with the highest self-esteem, particularly minority youngsters, often show distressingly low achievement levels as well as sundry pathologies.

5.' In the light of the essential nature of emotion to the Left, it makes perfect sense that they have created the (highly destructive) self-esteem movement, based on how one feels about oneself. Of course, it is always quite a high number for Leftists, convinced that they are brighter, kinder, finer, more sophisticated, more enlightened, more selfless, and, of course, more intellectual.'
Dennis Prager

“A 1989 study of mathematical skills compared students in eight different countries. American students ranked lowest in mathematical competence and Korean students ranked highest. But the researchers also asked students to rate how good they were at mathematics. The Americans ranked highest in self-judged mathematical ability, while the Koreans ranked lowest….
There is no evidence that high self-esteem reliably causes anything.”
Catholic Education Resource Center

In fact, feeling good is so central to Liberalism, that it is a higher value than truth. The Left has changed American school textbooks from books attempting to convey history to books attempting to make women and members of select minorities feel good about themselves. Democrat lawmakers pass laws demanding that textbooks be rewritten to include more Democrat Party blocs.
California Gay Textbooks Proposal Would Require LGBT Lessons In Schools

As long as the Left/Liberals/Democrats continue to control the schools, America will continue in the death spiral of the woke generation.
One must understand how to be a gracious looser to be a gracious winner.

4.The distinction between the views of the Left and the Right in education is about which comes first: achievement or self-esteem. Progressive Education aims to “level the playing field.” Translation: “lower the standards.” Everyone’s work goes up on the walls because it’s not fair to judge a child’s work as there are no wrong answers, only life experiences.

‘Lost in all the chanting for change is the core commitment to impart actual knowledge. For progressives in the Age of Obama, setting high academic standards is secondary to the self-improvement of the "whole child" and "service" to the cause of social justice.’ The Three R's in the Age of Obama: Rappin', Revolution and Radicalism

Research demonstrates that true self-esteem arise from true achievement, and also shows that kids with the highest self-esteem, particularly minority youngsters, often show distressingly low achievement levels as well as sundry pathologies.

5.' In the light of the essential nature of emotion to the Left, it makes perfect sense that they have created the (highly destructive) self-esteem movement, based on how one feels about oneself. Of course, it is always quite a high number for Leftists, convinced that they are brighter, kinder, finer, more sophisticated, more enlightened, more selfless, and, of course, more intellectual.'
Dennis Prager

“A 1989 study of mathematical skills compared students in eight different countries. American students ranked lowest in mathematical competence and Korean students ranked highest. But the researchers also asked students to rate how good they were at mathematics. The Americans ranked highest in self-judged mathematical ability, while the Koreans ranked lowest….

In fact, feeling good is so central to Liberalism, that it is a higher value than truth. The Left has changed American school textbooks from books attempting to convey history to books attempting to make women and members of select minorities feel good about themselves. Democrat lawmakers pass laws demanding that textbooks be rewritten to include more Democrat Party blocs.

As long as the Left/Liberals/Democrats continue to control the schools, America will continue in the death spiral of the woke generation.

We used to call it the "dumbing down" of the US education system. If you track how the US kids do against the rest of the world we're losing badly. Why is that? Social promotion? Too many low IQ kids; the upper and middle class are not forming families and raising smart kids? The progressives don't like data analysis disproving their beautiful theories; i.e. their beautiful theories are killed by those ugly little facts...
Mainly GOP discrimination against blacks and browns in the cities....

Ian Slatter

August 10, 2009

The Results

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

Cons of Home School

Account Suspended

How Homeschooling Works

Being right in your brainwashed tiny mind meaning being an actual Outlet of GOP spam and probably a Russian plant LOL... Every respected media and all the law enforcement in the world thanks you are absolutely out of your mind.

Ian Slatter

August 10, 2009

The Results

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

Cons of Home School

Account Suspended

How Homeschooling Works

Being right in your brainwashed tiny mind meaning being an actual Outlet of GOP spam and probably a Russian plant LOL... Every respected media and all the law enforcement in the world thanks you are absolutely out of your mind.

So you are unable to find a single thing not 100% true, correct and accurate in my posts, and you are left with naught by "is not, isssssss noooooottttttt!!!!"

You're dismissed.

"Joe Biden Is In For A Rude A-WOKEning

Even though [Joe Biden] was a star in it just a couple of years ago, the left’s hatred for Donald Trump and chased it into the arms of radicals and lunatics. It is not the party of his two previous failed runs, this one is more “woke” than anything he’s remotely used to, anything anyone is used to. And they aren’t willing to forgive, forget, or accept any impurities of thought.

....Biden’s whole past is littered with statements that would have him run off any college campus…were he not a Democrat. His legislative record is from a time when Democrats supported bills that were tough on crime, opposed the legalization of drugs, opposed illegal immigration, were against reparations for slavery, and seemed to not hold the country in so much contempt. He’s going to have to run by denouncing and denying everything he’s ever been."
Joe Biden Is In For A Rude A-WOKEning

Dennis Prager

We used to call it the "dumbing down" of the US education system. If you track how the US kids do against the rest of the world we're losing badly. Why is that? Social promotion? Too many low IQ kids; the upper and middle class are not forming families and raising smart kids? The progressives don't like data analysis disproving their beautiful theories; i.e. their beautiful theories are killed by those ugly little facts...

Got a link for that? Out here in flyover country the school districts run education, we don't get federal aid that I know of, we pay a lot of tax to fund the schools. Why do you blame the GOP for city schools? Parents need to be involved with their kid's education, check homework, etc. Can't the urban plantations get anything right?

Dennis Prager

Got a link for that? Out here in flyover country the school districts run education, we don't get federal aid that I know of, we pay a lot of tax to fund the schools. Why do you blame the GOP for city schools? Parents need to be involved with their kid's education, check homework, etc. Can't the urban plantations get anything right?
Our suburban and rural schools do just fine, and of course they get federal aid. Our large black and brown urban areas are a total mess. The problem is the GOP give away to the rich and lack of investment in America and Americans the last 35 years. worst inequality and upward Mobility ever and in the modern world. Of course the discriminated against do the worst. And you morons believe that any help for them is discrimination against whites. Brainwashed functional morons....

Dennis Prager

There is so much that you are not aware of, super duper. Of course when you cut Federal taxes on the rich for 35 years, federal aid to the states goes down and State and local taxes go up, which kill the non Rich. Google "the only tax graph you need to know"and find out how misinformed and brainwashed you are. If you count all taxes we have a flat tax system which is a giveaway to the rich. There's a reason why every tax system ever taxes the rich more.

Dennis Prager

Our suburban and rural schools do just fine, and of course they get federal aid. Our large black and brown urban areas are a total mess. The problem is the GOP give away to the rich and lack of investment in America and Americans the last 35 years. worst inequality and upward Mobility ever and in the modern world. Of course the discriminated against do the worst. And you morons believe that any help for them is discrimination against whites. Brainwashed functional morons....

1. Suburban and rural school districts are self-sufficient. Urban school districts are a mess, whose fault is that? It's not the GOP's, the democrats run most urban areas. The rich, aka the top half of the incomes pay 99% of the taxes, so your post is nonsense. Nothing is "given away" to the rich. How about a few links to prove your point, especially about "school taxes"? We pay a lot to support out schools, if the urban dwellers don't pay, that's their fault. Here is an example of Urban vs Rural schools, who gets to say what's "fair"?
Bill to shift federal education funding pits urban vs. rural schools

2. Its always someone else's fault, especially the GOP's. Its discrimination. We need reparations. How about you pay your own fucking way and stop being leeches?

Forum List

Back