Giving anyone who turns in a gun to the police a $100 tax credit

A $100 credit on Federal Income Taxes for each gun turned in?

• I think it's a good idea.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don't think it's a good idea.

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
The gun buyback program in San Francisco seems to address the problems that you mentioned.
See Gun buyback program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On a more personal note, I had a cousin an attorney who got into trouble for misappropriating funds that a client had entrusted to him. He resolved the situation by kiliing himself with a firearm that he possessed. If the gun had not been so readily available to him, perhaps he would have chosen a less violent way to deal with his problem.

Great. Maybe he would have hanged himself or slit his wrists instead, huh?

Here are some interesting statistics about guns and suicides:
Firearms and Suicide Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner. Firearms are used in more suicides than homicides. Death by firearms is the fastest growing method of suicide. Firearms account for 50 percent of all suicides.
See: AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics via @sharethis

Nice dodge and weave. What do you do for encore?

These gun buyback programs have been proven to be the PERFECT opportunity for criminals to "dump" guns that have been used to commit crimes.

These gun buyback programs have also been used by people to get rid of "junk" guns that need repair or are in such bad condition that they are inoperable.

The gun buyback programs are the same as the Obama "cash for clunkers" program": COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURES.
The gun buyback program in San Francisco seems to address the problems that you mentioned.

Participation conditions included: proof of San Francisco residency, the gun must meet California's definition of a "firearm," and the gun had to be a working firearm (no dummy replicas, plastic BB or pellet guns, or guns clearly not in working condition because of missing parts required for operation, or antiques for which no ammunition is available).

On a more personal note, I had a cousin an attorney who got into trouble for misappropriating funds that a client had entrusted to him. He resolved the situation by kiliing himself with a firearm that he possessed. If the gun had not been so readily available to him, perhaps he would have chosen a less violent way to deal with his problem.

Like carbon monoxide? A razor blade to the wrists? Poison? A leap off a tall building? A bridge abutment at 100 MPH?

Don't even try to tell me he would still be alive if he did not have access to a gun. Don't you fucking DARE! Suicide has hit much closer to my home. I am VERY familiar with it.

Great. Maybe he would have hanged himself or slit his wrists instead, huh?

Here are some interesting statistics about guns and suicides:
Firearms and Suicide Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner. Firearms are used in more suicides than homicides. Death by firearms is the fastest growing method of suicide. Firearms account for 50 percent of all suicides.
See: AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics via @sharethis

Yeah, interesting thing about suicides, especially if they succeed...they can't tell you what they would have done if a firearm was unavailable, whether they considered alternative options.

Forum List

Back