Giving the Remington R51 v2 a chance...

Three reasons...

1) LOVE the looks of this firearm. Reminds me strongly of the CZ82, the P64 and the PPK.

2) The price is right... $239 at Bud's.

3) Remington has moved it's headquarters out of New York to North Carolina, and this firearm is manufacture in Huntsville Alabama.

From Remington
Remington R51 Smoke/Silver

Bud's
Remington Firearms 96234 R51 Single 9mm 3.4 7+1 Gray Polymer Grip Stainless St

Reviews

Chuck Hawks
Remington R51 Pistol 2017

TTAG
Gun Review: Remington R51 Gen 2 - The Truth About Guns
It looks cleaner than the P64 which is itself a very rough copy of the Walther PPK and the CZ82's grip is much more ergonomic. I know I own both........

In 9x18?
yes

Modern semi autos are as reliable as a wheelgun.
Yet we have Remington's offering. I hate semis.

Offering what? The semi auto.
The more likely failure these days is bad ammo,which you'll only find in cheap target rounds.
But you go ahead and keep your head down while I advance on your position when you run dry...and I still have ten rounds left.
On top of that I can replace a magazine just as fast as an experienced wheel gun shooter with a speed loader......and still have 15 to your 6.
It's a losing proposition for you anyway you look at it.

Got my eye on the ATI HP9 with 20+1 capacity.

American Tactical Imports HP9

Cannot find a single on of these for sale online right now... but here are some of the specs.

ATI HP9 — Pistol Specs, Info, Photos, CCW and Concealed Carry Factors™, Firepower, Concealalability, Reviews, and User Comments — WhichGun.com

Last edited:

As much as I'd like to have one, and I look at them and the Makarovs often on Classic Arms, I can't justify another caliber handgun just a half step down from 9mm Nato on my budget.

In fact, I'm going the other way, reducing chamberings with similar capabilities...choosing one and selling the other...or others.

You kind of have to admire Remington having the chutzpah to call it a Gen 2.... the first one was so bad, I'm surprised they just didn't retire the name.

But, it still looks like the kind of gun you'd take off a dead Russian spy.

Yeah, it does have that Makarov look, doesn't it!

As much as I'd like to have one, and I look at them and the Makarovs often on Classic Arms, I can't justify another caliber handgun just a half step down from 9mm Nato on my budget.

In fact, I'm going the other way, reducing chamberings with similar capabilities...choosing one and selling the other...or others.
The old Soviet bloc didn't have qualms about the short 9, worked well for them but if you're looking to up caliber on a classic then go with the CZ52, all metal (2.09 lbs) and fires a 7.62x25 round. It's big but relatively flat, single stack and if you're using FMJ ammo you have to know what's behind your target, what's behind that and possibly what's behind that.......... The only weak point is the original cast firing pins, new very strong ones (kind of expensive) and unused originals (cheap) are readily available.

Ballistics test;

They do make hollow point for it also.

Kinda pissed I sold mine now........ May get a new one but they've jumped in value, around $400 now, mine cost me $100.

It looks cleaner than the P64 which is itself a very rough copy of the Walther PPK and the CZ82's grip is much more ergonomic. I know I own both........

I am a huge Combloc fan and have several Makarovs and a Polish P-83 which I often carry along with a CZ-75D PCR which is a compact, double stack 9x19. I wanted to like the R51 as it was more compact along the lines of a P-83 but in the more potent 9x19 rather than the 9x18. I just can't trust the R51, so never bought one. Maybe they're better now, but doesn't sound that way.

I am a huge Combloc fan and have several Makarovs and a Polish P-83 which I often carry along with a CZ-75D PCR which is a compact, double stack 9x19. I wanted to like the R51 as it was more compact along the lines of a P-83 but in the more potent 9x19 rather than the 9x18. I just can't trust the R51, so never bought one. Maybe they're better now, but doesn't sound that way.
If you ever get a P64 you need to switch out the #24 main spring with a #19 unless you don't mind a heavily muscled trigger finger......... The #19 makes the double action much easier without making the single action sloppy. I bought mine from Wolff Gunsprings.

Last edited:
If you ever get a P64 you need to switch out the #24 main spring with a #19 unless you don't mind a heavily muscled trigger finger......... The #19 makes the double action much easier without making the single action sloppy. I bought mine from Wolff Gunsprings.

Yeah, I've read that. I've bought a lot of springs from Wolff over the years for other guns. The P-64 is a little small for my tastes. I much prefer my P-83. However, the P-64 can be a slick little carry gun if you change out some springs as you suggest.

Yeah, I've read that. I've bought a lot of springs from Wolff over the years for other guns. The P-64 is a little small for my tastes. I much prefer my P-83. However, the P-64 can be a slick little carry gun if you change out some springs as you suggest.
I like my P64, nice pocket piece and not heavy at all, 22oz.

The old Soviet bloc didn't have qualms about the short 9, worked well for them but if you're looking to up caliber on a classic then go with the CZ52, all metal (2.09 lbs) and fires a 7.62x25 round. It's big but relatively flat, single stack and if you're using FMJ ammo you have to know what's behind your target, what's behind that and possibly what's behind that.......... The only weak point is the original cast firing pins, new very strong ones (kind of expensive) and unused originals (cheap) are readily available.

Ballistics test;

They do make hollow point for it also.

Kinda pissed I sold mine now........ May get a new one but they've jumped in value, around $400 now, mine cost me $100.

I have one...great gun. Came with the interchangable 9x19 barrel.

Three reasons...

1) LOVE the looks of this firearm. Reminds me strongly of the CZ82, the P64 and the PPK.

2) The price is right... $239 at Bud's.

3) Remington has moved it's headquarters out of New York to North Carolina, and this firearm is manufacture in Huntsville Alabama.

From Remington
Remington R51 Smoke/Silver

Bud's
Remington Firearms 96234 R51 Single 9mm 3.4 7+1 Gray Polymer Grip Stainless St

Reviews

Chuck Hawks
Remington R51 Pistol 2017

TTAG
Gun Review: Remington R51 Gen 2 - The Truth About Guns
It’s more a question of ‘why,’ rather than giving the R51 a chance.

The fact is there are better options for a concealed carry pistol at around that price.

And even with the reliability issues resolved, the Pedersen action is a classic example of a ‘solution’ in search of a problem that doesn’t exist – a design that has not proven to be as reliable as the Browning locked breech action.

Of course, it’s perfectly appropriate to purchase a pistol based on subjective factors such as appearance and corporate image, but an objective argument can’t be made in support of purchasing an R51.

But you go ahead and keep your head down while I advance on your position when you run dry...and I still have ten rounds left.
I've never shot at a human. I've learnt to shoot at animals only when I know I'll hit my desired point of impact. I hate the way semis can malfunction with crap reloads or just because they're semis. Manually loaded firearms always seem to go bang no matter what they're fed.

Last edited:
Carrying all the time is overdoing it. When I lived in Maine, there was little threat from humans (although there was an exceptional period not of my provoking when a potential attack on our home existed).
Carrying in the woods was prudent for some of the wildlife there. Concealed was not a consideration. Stopping something big was. .357 = stop.

It’s more a question of ‘why,’ rather than giving the R51 a chance.

The fact is there are better options for a concealed carry pistol at around that price.

And even with the reliability issues resolved, the Pedersen action is a classic example of a ‘solution’ in search of a problem that doesn’t exist – a design that has not proven to be as reliable as the Browning locked breech action.

Of course, it’s perfectly appropriate to purchase a pistol based on subjective factors such as appearance and corporate image, but an objective argument can’t be made in support of purchasing an R51.

I absolutely agree with everything you said. There are better, proven options, even in that size range, and even smaller. I have a LOT of semi auto pistols using the Browning locked breech action as do most of us. However, I do like something a little different, and that's why I own an HK P7M8, and P7 PSP. However, they are proven to be very reliable over decades, but they do use a different action, which is more or less a dead end for pistols.

Your point is valid. The only reason to buy an R51 is as a novelty for the Pedersen action. If they can get it to be reliable, I'd consider one just for something a little different.

Carrying all the time is overdoing it.

That's a personal choice for the individual to make. You can't anticipate when you may need a gun no matter how "safe" of an area you live. That being said, I don't carry during the week as my company does not allow firearms on their property, not even the parking lot. So, if I am armed its evenings, and weekends only. I don't fee unsafe when unarmed either, but I feel better suited to defend myself armed.

With today's choices in reliable pocket pistols you can easily carry a gun like you'd carry a cell phone.

Now that's a civilised country, where one feels the need for a sidearm when shopping.

Now that's a civilised country, where one feels the need for a sidearm when shopping.
While passing through Wilmington, Delaware a while back, I saw a fat guy in a K Mart with a 9mm in a holster on his hip. There was a terrible minute that I was tempted to take.
Get thee behind me, Satan!
Carrying means that wherever you are, there's a gun.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
I've never shot at a human. I've learnt to shoot at animals only when I know I'll hit my desired point of impact. I hate the way semis can malfunction with crap reloads or just because they're semis. Manually loaded firearms always seem to go bang no matter what they're fed.

Like I said...I've put thousands of rounds through my FNX and it's never malfunctioned.

Forum List

Back