Global Warming Actually Still Accelerating - no "lull"

That's the question I posed to you. And I am still waiting for your answer.
Why don't you address your idiotic assertions that get called for the idiocy that they are?....Let's start with Venus being 28% closer to the sun is "slightly" nearer to the star.

I'm pretty sure someone could whip up an attractive full color chart or graph to debunk your rank foolhardiness.

Spoken like someone with NO credentials.

Care to argue the precision of a Sippican T5 XBT with me?

Well, there is the entirety of the science, all of which supports my position because my position is that it's correct.

ROFL, why don't you learn a new act? This ones old..

Face it, the scientist act isn't for you.. You just aren't sharp enough to pull it off. If you were you would have by now.. This is how many attempts now?

:lol:

I'm not a scientist. I'm an engineer. I've told you that several times now. Memory problem?

Socko, I wasn't aware you told ME you were an engineer.. Perhaps you can point that post you made to me out.. You did make this post though...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/7645892-post560.html

I think it is very telling that Trenberth prefers to use heat content for ocean depths but seldom mentions that the actual temperature change is measured in hundreths of a degree. Does anyone here believe that we knew the temperature of deep oceans back in 1950, 1970 or even 1990? Especially down to a hundredth of a degree?

Yes. I was making some of those measurements.

So that was you, claiming you made those measurements of the deep ocean back then.. ERGO, a claim of expertise on the matter, hence my point and your BS getting old now...So either you are claiming to be a scientist or an engineer, does it really matter when it's BS anyway?

You're a forum trolling sock, and one of low-rep clones we have had a rash of lately..

I don't think it is too much of a reach to suggest that every single poster on this board understands that CO2 produced by humans has changed our climate.

I am not saying that some questionsdo not remain, because they do, but the basic premise of climate change has simply been known and understood for too long to make most denial credible.

Anyone who believes in science as a concept understands that.

What we see here now is some empty kind of theatre, of posters arguing purely for the sake of arguing.

I have to say, I don't find that "You can't convince me!" style of debate terribly engaging.

That's the question I posed to you. And I am still waiting for your answer.
Why don't you address your idiotic assertions that get called for the idiocy that they are?....Let's start with Venus being 28% closer to the sun is "slightly" nearer to the star.

I'm pretty sure someone could whip up an attractive full color chart or graph to debunk your rank foolhardiness.

Do you believe that what happened to Venus cannot happen to Earth? If not, why not? If so, Why?

I believe this,

Genesis 8:22
King James Version (KJV)

22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Speck -

On January 1, 1990, Pope John Paul II delivered his World Day of Peace message to Catholics around the world, and for that year’s address he lamented a “widespread destruction of the environment.” World peace, he warned, was threatened not only by arms, conflict, and injustice, but by “a lack of due respect for nature.”

John Paul II’s message on that day pointed to a worldwide ecological crisis, and while it did not mention climate change by name his references were clear. “Industrial waste, the burning of fossil fuels, unrestricted deforestation, the use of certain types of herbicides, coolants and propellants: all of these are known to harm the atmosphere and environment,” he said. “The resulting meteorological and atmospheric changes range from damage to health to the possible future submersion of low-lying lands.”

The Catholic Church and Climate Change | The Yale Forum on Climate Change & The Media

Most of those don't say that CO2 doesn't promote growth. THey state that the advantage of CO2 will be nullified by lack of water (not in evidence) and increasing temps (debatable).

I didn't say it wouldn't promote growth. Increased CO2 increases growth and improves water use efficiency. But the effects of GHG-induced global warming will harm crops in several ways and the net result will be reduced crop yields.

If you think a lack of water as a result of increased temperatures is "not in evidence" you need to review the world's drought record of the past several decades. And if you think it debatable that temperatures have been increasing, I don't know why I'm wasting my time talking to you. There's a name for people that have lost touch with reality.

Abraham3 said:
I'm not a scientist. I'm an engineer. I've told you that several times now. Memory problem?

Socko, I wasn't aware you told ME you were an engineer..

I posted it. I have no control over what you do and do not read. Post your personal email address and I'll make certain you don't miss anything.

So that was you, claiming you made those measurements of the deep ocean back then.. ERGO, a claim of expertise on the matter, hence my point and your BS getting old now...So either you are claiming to be a scientist or an engineer, does it really matter when it's BS anyway?

I was responding to a fooking question - posted by IanC, not you - as to whether or not anyone believed the quoted resolution of bathythermograph data. I supported my response with the fact that I have dropped and analyzed BT data for over 30 years. You obviously have never come within a hundred yards of one or you'd be commenting on the facts of the matter instead of attacking me personally.

You're a forum trolling sock, and one of low-rep clones we have had a rash of lately..

The world has a rash from the likes of you.

You've mangled my quotes AGAIN.. Next time I will mangle yours.. Because you're not playing nice.. And please --- before you ATTACK --- think... I may be obtuse because I expect you are following developments closer than you actually are.. I ASSUME you're up to speed on the implications of Septillion joules of energy "hiding" in the oceans. Maybe you're not.. Because the old AGW fairytale required little expenditure of knowledge to parrot.

Here is the abstract of Balmaseda, Trenberth and Kallen's "Distinctive climate signals in reanalysis of global ocean heat content":

The elusive nature of the post-2004 upper ocean warming has exposed uncertainties in the ocean's role in the Earth's energy budget and transient climate sensitivity. Here we present the time evolution of the global ocean heat content for 1958 through 2009 from a new observation-based reanalysis of the ocean. Volcanic eruptions and El Niño events are identified as sharp cooling events punctuating a long-term ocean warming trend, while heating continues during the recent upper-ocean-warming hiatus, but the heat is absorbed in the deeper ocean. In the last decade, about 30% of the warming has occurred below 700 m, contributing significantly to an acceleration of the warming trend. The warming below 700 m remains even when the Argo observing system is withdrawn although the trends are reduced. Sensitivity experiments illustrate that surface wind variability is largely responsible for the changing ocean heat vertical distribution.

And the accompanying graphic we've all seen before:

2nrghkx.jpg

First, I would ask you to find anywhere in Balmaseda et al 2013 a statement indicating that they now believe their to be a 30-50 year lag between forcing factors and land/ocean temperatures - as you have been claiming they so state. The full text is available at Distinctive climate signals in reanalysis of global ocean heat content - Balmaseda - 2013 - Geophysical Research Letters - Wiley Online Library

Second, I would ask you to explain in the graphic above, at points where major volcanic eruptions are noted, the almost immediate response and the brief, 1-2 year recovery, if the system as a whole contains a 30-50 year lag as you contend.

I'm surprised you didn't remember what thread we were in.. So I toyed with you a little, but at least now --- you understand my comments about the OP topic..

I'm sure the paper is not stating a lag factor for the "hidden warmth".. Trenberth has unwittingly tho opened a can of worms here. Because his personal revelation that the Earth climate has storage mechanisms was obviously new to both him and Climate community as a whole.. But this is the ultimate inference that they are making. That like charging a battery -- the warming is STILL THERE.. Unfortunately for the warmers, it's in a place right now that can't influence the weather or human conditions IMMEDIATELY. That is actually the unspoken capitualization of the paper (i have skimmed it).

But like a battery, I can measure INSTANTEOUSLY the amount of the charge that I put into it.. So seeing immediate changes due to external forcings (like volcanoes) is not surprising to me.

Surprises me that you are surprised at this surprise..

OBSERVING the act of storing is not the same as the "discharge rate" of the storage. And I imagine that eventually all this energy Trenberth originally misplaced will have to be recycled to the surface gradually where it CAN be part of the radiative and thermal exchange with the rest of the universe.. The time scales and energy flows are brand NEW to the discussion but IMPLIED by the entire premise of the work...

Let's just say this can of worms WILL get unraveled and better models might even show a trigger point where all this "hidden storage" gets suddenly swept up into dominant ocean currents and decides to melt the Arctic in one decade.. THERE WILL BE an analysis of the delayed release of this energy..

In the meantime --- studying the LAG between natural forcings (like the substantial TSI increase since 1700) and temperature just MIGHT REVEAL a good approximation of what the discharge rate for this stored energy might be.. Don't expect you to "get" any of this unscripted science speculation until you read about it on your favorite "warmer" blog in a few years..

BTW: I predict that the climateers will also realize that the ocean is NOT the only energy storage game in town.. All those massive stores of calthrates was created by ancient energy "excesses" that also got hidden.. Created at a time when WARMTH allowed for massive bioactivity in the Arctic.

It's all part of the science that was missing all along in accounting for energy "balance". The release of the calthrates would represent an "opportunistic" lag delay of release that is a delayed function of temperature wouldn't it?

I know what thread we're in and you weren't toying with me. You really are full of shite.

You made several statements that Trenberth was now claiming or admitting that thermal energy was hidden in the deep ocean for 30-50 years. Now you admit he said no such thing.

I am impressed. You just never stop making it up, do you.

I don't think it is too much of a reach to suggest that every single poster on this board understands that CO2 produced by humans has changed our climate.

I am not saying that some questionsdo not remain, because they do, but the basic premise of climate change has simply been known and understood for too long to make most denial credible.

Anyone who believes in science as a concept understands that.

What we see here now is some empty kind of theatre, of posters arguing purely for the sake of arguing.

I have to say, I don't find that "You can't convince me!" style of debate terribly engaging.

I hate to say it, but there are a number of posters here who reject the idea that CO2 has changed our climate.

Abraham3 said:

Socko, I wasn't aware you told ME you were an engineer..

I posted it. I have no control over what you do and do not read. Post your personal email address and I'll make certain you don't miss anything.

I was responding to a fooking question - posted by IanC, not you - as to whether or not anyone believed the quoted resolution of bathythermograph data. I supported my response with the fact that I have dropped and analyzed BT data for over 30 years. You obviously have never come within a hundred yards of one or you'd be commenting on the facts of the matter instead of attacking me personally.

The world has a rash from the likes of you.

So then you can't point to one post out of "several" where YOU told ME specifically you were an engineer... Oh come now low-rep clone, we know better than that.. YOU forgot who YOU were this time, AGAIN... Dude you do it a lot...

Yes, yes you did socko.. we know, you are an expert in whatever you need to be, to win this debate..

ROFL, BTW.... when you said;

" You obviously have never come within a hundred yards of one"

One what socko? A BT data? LOL, where you just stomping your foot and saying "I know you are but what am I"???

You should just call me a doodie-head, and run off, it would have at least looked better than that childish nonsense..

And I am attacking you because you aren't debating honestly. When you got caught bullshitting instead defending it, you tried to claim some position of authority on the matter. A position that you, just like the countless times before, and under various other names, do not have..

You don't learn from your previous mistakes socko.. You pull this everytime you get either too busted, or too lazy to defend a position or claim. You suddenly pull I'm an authority" out of your ass, when you're in a pickle... WHat's worse is you say crap like "I've told you that several times now."when we can all see that under this name you use now, you did nosuch thing with me.. In fact with this name you're using we haven't talked much. I figured why bother, I can talk to one of the other "you"...

How many of you now have the same rep problem? LOL 4? 5? ROFL, it's okay junior, we are really fooled...

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but there are a number of posters here who reject the idea that CO2 has changed our climate.

There are a number who 'pretend' to reject the idea, but increasingly I get the idea they are going through the motions out of sheer belligerancy rather than any real interest in science.

It's been a long, long time since SSDD, Westwall et al showed any interest in what is actually happening in the Arctic, for instance.

Certainly some of the less literate posters can maintain denial because they aren't likely to happen upon a newspaper in the average year, but for the average poster on this board - denial is starting to ring might hollow.

There are a number who 'pretend' to reject the idea, but increasingly I get the idea they are going through the motions out of sheer belligerancy rather than any real interest in science.

It's been a long, long time since SSDD, Westwall et al showed any interest in what is actually happening in the Arctic, for instance.

Certainly some of the less literate posters can maintain denial because they aren't likely to happen upon a newspaper in the average year, but for the average poster on this board - denial is starting to ring might hollow.

Oh stop... YOU haven't done anything here but getbusted time and again lying, editing quotes, when you even quote people, and being a general crybaby.

No one pretends here but you and the clone army...

Yet more lies from saggy I see. Never, ever make assumptions for others. It makes you look like an ass. Here is the truth about the Arctic today, so far there have been half the number of days above 0C that is usually seen. That makes this year the coldest in the Arctic so far....

meanT_2013.png

COI | Centre for Ocean and Ice | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut

Yet more lies from saggy I see. Never, ever make assumptions for others. It makes you look like an ass. Here is the truth about the Arctic today, so far there have been half the number of days above 0C that is usually seen. That makes this year the coldest in the Arctic so far....

meanT_2013.png

And yet the extent of Arctic sea ice is below normal:

N_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Ahem. I suppose it didn't occur to you that over half of those temperature measurements in your graph are above normal. And I suppose it also didn't occur to you that most of those abnormal temperature measurements occurred during peak Arctic sea ice formation.

Oh, and then there is this:

Fig3-a-350x338.png

Figure 3a. This image of air temperature anomalies at the 925 hPa level from July 1 to 10 July 10, 2013 shows higher than average temperatures over the Arctic, especially over the Kara Sea. Air temperature anomalies are relative to the 1981 to 2010 average.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Last edited:
Westwall -

That makes this year the coldest in the Arctic so far...

Ah ha....and of course you can explain why 2013 Arctic Ice is still - as of Monday August 05 - well below the 1981-2010 average.

"Sea ice extent retreated fairly rapidly through the first two weeks of July as a high pressure cell moved into the central Arctic, bringing warmer temperatures over much of the Arctic Ocean. Ice extent remains below average on the Atlantic side of the Arctic, and is near average to locally above average in the Beaufort and Chukchi seas and along much of the Eurasian coast.

While the rate of Arctic sea ice loss is normally fastest during July, the warmest month of the year, ice loss was even faster than usual over the first two weeks of July 2013. As a result, on July 15 extent came within 540,000 square kilometers (208,000 square miles) of that seen in 2012 on the same date. The ice loss is dominated by retreat on the Atlantic side of the Arctic, including the East Greenland, Kara and Laptev seas, and Baffin Bay. In the Beaufort and Chukchi seas and much of the Eurasian coast, the ice cover remains fairly extensive, especially compared to recent summers. Compared to the 1981 to 2010 average, ice extent on July 15, 2013 was 1.06 million square kilometers (409,000 square miles) below average."

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Actually, this is a very good example of what I meant before - you know full well that Arctic Ice is collapsing. You know it as well as I do, or anyone else who reads the news does. And yet here you are arguing against it.

Is it just belligerance or pride, or is there some reason you cannot admit what you know to be true?

Last edited:

Most of those don't say that CO2 doesn't promote growth. THey state that the advantage of CO2 will be nullified by lack of water (not in evidence) and increasing temps (debatable).

I didn't say it wouldn't promote growth. Increased CO2 increases growth and improves water use efficiency. But the effects of GHG-induced global warming will harm crops in several ways and the net result will be reduced crop yields.

If you think a lack of water as a result of increased temperatures is "not in evidence" you need to review the world's drought record of the past several decades. And if you think it debatable that temperatures have been increasing, I don't know why I'm wasting my time talking to you. There's a name for people that have lost touch with reality.

No --- you need to present evidence that every drought, every flood, every snowmaggedon, every tornado is ample evidence of Global Warming.. How's that drought in Arizona coming eh?? A mere month ago -- it was proof of Climate change.. Today -- it's raining in the desert...

Get off my cloud..
Aren't you embarrased claiming that weather is climate? Explain the map below to me in terms of a 1degF change in temp. in your lifetime..

20130803Precip.jpg

How the Holy Hell do you go from 200% of normal to 30% of "normal" in 50 miles or less??? And then --- have the cajones to call that "Climate Change" due to CO2 ?????

Last edited:
Here is the abstract of Balmaseda, Trenberth and Kallen's "Distinctive climate signals in reanalysis of global ocean heat content":

The elusive nature of the post-2004 upper ocean warming has exposed uncertainties in the ocean's role in the Earth's energy budget and transient climate sensitivity. Here we present the time evolution of the global ocean heat content for 1958 through 2009 from a new observation-based reanalysis of the ocean. Volcanic eruptions and El Niño events are identified as sharp cooling events punctuating a long-term ocean warming trend, while heating continues during the recent upper-ocean-warming hiatus, but the heat is absorbed in the deeper ocean. In the last decade, about 30% of the warming has occurred below 700 m, contributing significantly to an acceleration of the warming trend. The warming below 700 m remains even when the Argo observing system is withdrawn although the trends are reduced. Sensitivity experiments illustrate that surface wind variability is largely responsible for the changing ocean heat vertical distribution.

And the accompanying graphic we've all seen before:

2nrghkx.jpg

First, I would ask you to find anywhere in Balmaseda et al 2013 a statement indicating that they now believe their to be a 30-50 year lag between forcing factors and land/ocean temperatures - as you have been claiming they so state. The full text is available at Distinctive climate signals in reanalysis of global ocean heat content - Balmaseda - 2013 - Geophysical Research Letters - Wiley Online Library

Second, I would ask you to explain in the graphic above, at points where major volcanic eruptions are noted, the almost immediate response and the brief, 1-2 year recovery, if the system as a whole contains a 30-50 year lag as you contend.

I'm surprised you didn't remember what thread we were in.. So I toyed with you a little, but at least now --- you understand my comments about the OP topic..

I'm sure the paper is not stating a lag factor for the "hidden warmth".. Trenberth has unwittingly tho opened a can of worms here. Because his personal revelation that the Earth climate has storage mechanisms was obviously new to both him and Climate community as a whole.. But this is the ultimate inference that they are making. That like charging a battery -- the warming is STILL THERE.. Unfortunately for the warmers, it's in a place right now that can't influence the weather or human conditions IMMEDIATELY. That is actually the unspoken capitualization of the paper (i have skimmed it).

But like a battery, I can measure INSTANTEOUSLY the amount of the charge that I put into it.. So seeing immediate changes due to external forcings (like volcanoes) is not surprising to me.

Surprises me that you are surprised at this surprise..

OBSERVING the act of storing is not the same as the "discharge rate" of the storage. And I imagine that eventually all this energy Trenberth originally misplaced will have to be recycled to the surface gradually where it CAN be part of the radiative and thermal exchange with the rest of the universe.. The time scales and energy flows are brand NEW to the discussion but IMPLIED by the entire premise of the work...

Let's just say this can of worms WILL get unraveled and better models might even show a trigger point where all this "hidden storage" gets suddenly swept up into dominant ocean currents and decides to melt the Arctic in one decade.. THERE WILL BE an analysis of the delayed release of this energy..

In the meantime --- studying the LAG between natural forcings (like the substantial TSI increase since 1700) and temperature just MIGHT REVEAL a good approximation of what the discharge rate for this stored energy might be.. Don't expect you to "get" any of this unscripted science speculation until you read about it on your favorite "warmer" blog in a few years..

BTW: I predict that the climateers will also realize that the ocean is NOT the only energy storage game in town.. All those massive stores of calthrates was created by ancient energy "excesses" that also got hidden.. Created at a time when WARMTH allowed for massive bioactivity in the Arctic.

It's all part of the science that was missing all along in accounting for energy "balance". The release of the calthrates would represent an "opportunistic" lag delay of release that is a delayed function of temperature wouldn't it?

I know what thread we're in and you weren't toying with me. You really are full of shite.

You made several statements that Trenberth was now claiming or admitting that thermal energy was hidden in the deep ocean for 30-50 years. Now you admit he said no such thing.

I am impressed. You just never stop making it up, do you.

I'm truly sorry you don't have the mental flexibility to think for yourself in terms of the IMPLICATIONS of what this OP paper actually infers..

Tell me "if it's hiding in the oceans" when it's gonna manifest in surface effects then.. DO YOU have a mechanism for this hidden warmth to affect weather or climate? How many years before it manifests as a thermal exchange with the surface and the atmos?

It exists -- it just hasn't been elaborated yet.. Not "making it up" --- just quicker to grab the importance of this capitulation that the media reports simply as "it really hasn't stopped warming"..

It was pruned to be a media event -- leaving out important justifications.. An academic sounding excuse for the stalling of the surface temps.. And your congregation has totally bit the hook..

Don't blame me for the slow uptake of your "climate scientists" or their desire to acheive a certain PR result.

Don't worry -- it WILL eventually unravel thread by thread...

Last edited:

meanT_2013.png

And yet the extent of Arctic sea ice is below normal:

N_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Ahem. I suppose it didn't occur to you that over half of those temperature measurements in your graph are above normal. And I suppose it also didn't occur to you that most of those abnormal temperature measurements occurred during peak Arctic sea ice formation.

Oh, and then there is this:

Fig3-a-350x338.png

Figure 3a. This image of air temperature anomalies at the 925 hPa level from July 1 to 10 July 10, 2013 shows higher than average temperatures over the Arctic, especially over the Kara Sea. Air temperature anomalies are relative to the 1981 to 2010 average.

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Maybe. Of course that "normal" was taken when we were emerging from the "are we going into a new ice age" scare of the 1970's era so the ice was at an all time high. We know through newspaper articles that the ice was much lower in the 1920's and '30's, hell almost EVERY decade one of you warmist chicken littles screamed hysterically about the "melting Arctic". Below are just a very few examples. Enjoy the read..... When are you going to get you sandwich boards proclaiming the end is nigh?

repent-the-end-is-nigh-ye-must-be-cleansed.png

screenhunter_12-feb-03-06-541.gif

screenhunter_30-jan-16-09-201.jpg

screenhunter_162-sep-17-20-41-1.png

icecover_current.png

Forum List

Back