God: Loved, or Feared?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
How is God viewed? Is it 'God is love,' or is God a judge who will punish bad behavior?
And what is the effect of that view?

1." For the past two generations, God has rarely been depicted as judging and punishing. Instead all we have heard is the phrase, “God Is Love,” which, when offered as the one description of God, is morally meaningless — and even morally dangerous.

2. If your aim is to produce moral behavior — and that should be the primary aim of every religion — “God is love” is no more helpful than “Dad is love” is to producing a good son.
Morally speaking, “God will judge you” is a far superior message.

3. Because we live in the most secular age in recorded history, our age lacks any concept of an afterlife reward and punishment. Making things worse, it is also a wisdom-challenged age that believes people are basically good — and therefore don’t need threats of punishment. Worst of all, this thinking has spread to mainstream Judaism and Christianity, most of whose clergy find threats of hell intellectually primitive and morally useless.

a. Last week, Pope Francis warned Italy’s Mafia leaders that if they continue their evil ways, they will go to hell."
Pope Francis threatens hell -- Hooray!

4. Radio host Dennis Prager told of this question asked of a teenage girl: 'Why don't you use drugs?' Her answer, telling and consistent with the above, was 'My mother would kill me!"
Not "because my mother loves me."

Actually, the University of Oregon had an enlightening answer to the question.

5. "....criminal activity is lower in societies where people's religious beliefs contain a strong punitive component than in places where religious beliefs are more benevolent.... where many more people believe in heaven than in hell, for example, is likely to have a much higher crime rate than one where these beliefs are about equal. The finding surfaced from a comprehensive analysis of 26 years of data involving 143,197 people in 67 countries.

a. .... a nation's rate of belief in hell predicts lower crime rates, but the nation's rate of belief in heaven predicts higher crime rates, and these are strong effects," ... it's possible that people who don't believe in the possibility of punishment in the afterlife feel like they can get away with unethical behavior.

b. .... in the International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, Shariff reported that undergraduate students were more likely to cheat when they believe in a forgiving God than a punishing God.

6. .... a growing body of evidence that supernatural punishment had emerged as a very effective cultural innovation to get people to act more ethically with each other.

7. In 2003, he said, Harvard University researchers ... found that gross domestic product was higher in developed countries when people believed in hell more than they did in heaven.

8. "This research provides new insights into the potential influences of cultural and religious beliefs on key outcomes at a societal level,"
Belief in hell, according to international data, is associated with reduced crime | Media Relations

The following, a pretty strong take on the above data, suggests that offering salvation for repentance, is actually a negative.

9. " If you promulgate the notion that people are born bad, and cannot help but to sin, but will still gain entrance into paradise as long as they "repent"-- they are more likely to sin, repent, sin, repent--and repeat when necessary. Pelagius was wise, and realized that this belief would lead to "moral laxity"--

10. The ancient Christian philosopher Pelagius also pointed this out long ago. That is, the Christian version of salvation promoted by Augustine, leads to "moral laxity" as believers are "saved" regardless of their actions--no consequences in relation to their salvation."
Debunking Christianity: Survey - Why Do Atheists Care Whether Christians Believe in Christianity or Not?

We get to choose. We will bow before God our lord and savior or our final judge.

Both. A healthy amount of fear even for a loving G-d is natural. G-d not only can end us on a whim, but He also decides our eternal state. So we both love and fear G-d. Love because He asks very little for the upside return, and fear because He's the Master of All. We love our parents as well as fear them in much the same way.

For the unbeliever, the fear of God is the fear of the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God (Luke 12:5; Hebrews 10:31). For the believer, the fear of God is something much different. The believer's fear is reverence of God. Hebrews 12:28-29 is a good description of this: “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ’God is a consuming fire.’” This reverence and awe is exactly what the fear of God means for Christians. This is the motivating factor for us to surrender to the Creator of the Universe.

Both. A healthy amount of fear even for a loving G-d is natural. G-d not only can end us on a whim, but He also decides our eternal state. So we both love and fear G-d. Love because He asks very little for the upside return, and fear because He's the Master of All. We love our parents as well as fear them in much the same way.

"We love our parents as well as fear them in much the same way."

Don't misconstrue this as disagreeing with your post.....

...but, did you find it in the Bible that we are ordered to love our parents?

These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, 2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life.
- Deuteronomy 6

My experience has been that given enough time, every fundamentalist will reveal that at the heart of their faith is not a fear or love of god, though that will dominate the rhetoric. What is really feared is death. The desperate need to overcome the abyss will allow the most outlandish flights of logic, and it isn't confined to a particular faith tradition, though it is most pronounced in the Abrahamic beliefs.

The following, a pretty strong take on the above data, suggests that offering salvation for repentance, is actually a negative.

9. " If you promulgate the notion that people are born bad, and cannot help but to sin, but will still gain entrance into paradise as long as they "repent"-- they are more likely to sin, repent, sin, repent--and repeat when necessary. Pelagius was wise, and realized that this belief would lead to "moral laxity"--

10. The ancient Christian philosopher Pelagius also pointed this out long ago. That is, the Christian version of salvation promoted by Augustine, leads to "moral laxity" as believers are "saved" regardless of their actions--no consequences in relation to their salvation."
Debunking Christianity: Survey - Why Do Atheists Care Whether Christians Believe in Christianity or Not?
I have a high regard for Dennis Prager’s points of view on many or most issues. He does quite well in this one, too. My only objection is to how he treated points 9. & 10. “Gaining entrance into heaven” does not mean or imply that the moment one dies Heaven welcomes.

And I really doubt Augustine could ever be paraphrased the way Prager did here, i.e. “believers are ‘saved’ regardless of their actions--no consequences in relation to their salvation." Where in the world did that come from? That is totally “un-Catholic.”

Briefly stated: Most Christians are totally oblivious to the reality and magnitude of purgatory. Most people cannot stand the thought of being subjected to real torture or loneliness or pains of any kind for a day or a week. And yet, they do not consider that the punishment for our sins [even those we repent of I might add!] could very easily add up to decades or centuries of unimaginable pain and loneliness in purgatory.

As the Bible says - - God is not one to be mocked. Augustine is not one to mock God either. Prager makes good points, but ends it kind of poorly. Of course he is Jewish and not Christian so this purgatory matter is probably not well defined or considered on his part.

My experience has been that given enough time, every fundamentalist will reveal that at the heart of their faith is not a fear or love of god, though that will dominate the rhetoric. What is really feared is death. The desperate need to overcome the abyss will allow the most outlandish flights of logic, and it isn't confined to a particular faith tradition, though it is most pronounced in the Abrahamic beliefs.

BELIEVERS have no reason to fear,God tells to fear not BUT THE BIG FEAR OF UNBELIEVERS IS DEATH AND FINAL JUDGMENT!!AND RIGHTLY SO!!!

BELIEVERS have no reason to fear,God tells to fear not BUT THE BIG FEAR OF UNBELIEVERS IS DEATH AND FINAL JUDGMENT!!AND RIGHTLY SO!!!

Perfectly proving my point.
I thank you.

These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, 2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life.
- Deuteronomy 6

The God of the Bible is a wife-beater. He's all sunshine and love when you're doing what He wants, but step out of line and he'll fuck you up good. It's for your own good you see. He doesn't want to give us a black eye or break our arm or push us down the stairs for eternity, but He knows what's best for us.

Now, I'm sure God doesn't want to come down hard on us, but hey, Ike had to keep Tina in line to get Tina to stardom. So we should just suck it up the next time God is using a belt on us and saying, "I love you so much, baby! Why do you make me beat you?"

- Deuteronomy 6

Well, there is that whole commandment about honoring one's mother and father which could be construed as an order to love as well as obey.

The God of the Bible is a wife-beater. He's all sunshine and love when you're doing what He wants, but step out of line and he'll fuck you up good. It's for your own good you see. He doesn't want to give us a black eye or break our arm or push us down the stairs for eternity, but He knows what's best for us.

Now, I'm sure God doesn't want to come down hard on us, but hey, Ike had to keep Tina in line to get Tina to stardom. So we should just suck it up the next time God is using a belt on us and saying, "I love you so much, baby! Why do you make me beat you?"

You mean like the mudslide? The earthquake?

Examples of god moving in mysterious ways.

You mean like the mudslide? The earthquake?

Examples of god moving in mysterious ways.

Mysterious, dickish, ways.

The true God is a jealous GOD, and he will judge. He has no love for the wicked, and the left shall pay for their foul heresy.

I don't know. I mean "The Emperor protects!" is a pretty good slogan, but then again "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!" is pretty much the most bad ass battle cry out there.

"2. If your aim is to produce moral behavior — and that should be the primary aim of every religion — “God is love” is no more helpful than “Dad is love” is to producing a good son.
Morally speaking, “God will judge you” is a far superior message. "

I thought the aim of religion was to bring people to the truth, but I was right in thinking that its really about social control.

Forum List

Back