GoodBye NYC, Goodbye D.C.

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
3.5degC and 10 FEET of sea level by 2000... That's what Moynihan warned Nixon about in 1969. No -- there's NEVER been hysterical exaggerations or phoney predictions.

Declassified documents show Nixon warned of global warning 30 years ago - NY Daily News

YORBA LINDA, Calif. — Documents released Friday by the Nixon Presidential Library show members of President Richard Nixon's inner circle discussing the possibilities of global warming more than 30 years ago.

Adviser Daniel Patrick Moynihan, notable as a Democrat in the administration, urged the administration to initiate a worldwide system of monitoring carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, decades before the issue of global warming came to the public's attention.
There is widespread agreement that carbon dioxide content will rise 25 percent by 2000, Moynihan wrote in a September 1969 memo.
"This could increase the average temperature near the earth's surface by 7 degrees Fahrenheit," he wrote. "This in turn could raise the level of the sea by 10 feet. Goodbye New York. Goodbye Washington, for that matter."

Moynihan received a response in a January 26, 1970 memo from Hubert Heffner, deputy director of the administration's Office of Science and Technology. Heffner acknowledged that atmospheric temperature rise was an issue that should be looked at.
"The more I get into this, the more I find two classes of doom-sayers, with, of course, the silent majority in between," he wrote. "One group says we will turn into snow-tripping mastodons because of the atmospheric dust and the other says we will have to grow gills to survive the increased ocean level due to the temperature rise."

And today -- we at the same state of affairs on Government Action on Global Warming. Wonder why??

Discuss Dot Com ------ :D

From another source -- a well phrased summary of what we learn from this early GW hysteria history.

Nixon Era Global Warming Memo Early Example of Hysteria - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

What does the revelation of the Moynihan memo tell us? The obvious take away from the story is that one ought to look upon predictions of doom, whether they come from religious leaders such as Harold Camping or imminent scientists and government bureaucrats, with some degree of skepticism. This is especially true if the proposed solution to the postulated problem involves the expenditure of large amounts of money and extensive and unpleasant disruptions of the lifestyles of the majority of people.

3.5degC and 10 FEET of sea level by 2000... That's what Moynihan warned Nixon about in 1969. No -- there's NEVER been hysterical exaggerations or phoney predictions.

Declassified documents show Nixon warned of global warning 30 years ago - NY Daily News

YORBA LINDA, Calif. — Documents released Friday by the Nixon Presidential Library show members of President Richard Nixon's inner circle discussing the possibilities of global warming more than 30 years ago.

Adviser Daniel Patrick Moynihan, notable as a Democrat in the administration, urged the administration to initiate a worldwide system of monitoring carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, decades before the issue of global warming came to the public's attention.
There is widespread agreement that carbon dioxide content will rise 25 percent by 2000, Moynihan wrote in a September 1969 memo.
"This could increase the average temperature near the earth's surface by 7 degrees Fahrenheit," he wrote. "This in turn could raise the level of the sea by 10 feet. Goodbye New York. Goodbye Washington, for that matter."

Moynihan received a response in a January 26, 1970 memo from Hubert Heffner, deputy director of the administration's Office of Science and Technology. Heffner acknowledged that atmospheric temperature rise was an issue that should be looked at.
"The more I get into this, the more I find two classes of doom-sayers, with, of course, the silent majority in between," he wrote. "One group says we will turn into snow-tripping mastodons because of the atmospheric dust and the other says we will have to grow gills to survive the increased ocean level due to the temperature rise."

And today -- we at the same state of affairs on Government Action on Global Warming. Wonder why??

Do you believe no modification to our current relation with the environment is needed?

I just love the shifting deadlines. Per ALGORE, we should be under water by now. Given that it's TOO LATE, can't we just cancel all of the nonsense regulations and stop wasting money on a futile attempt to roll back CLIMATE DISRUPTION?

Do you believe no modification to our current relation with the environment is needed?

I'm convinced the Global Warming whackos has hijacked the entire momentum of enviro tasks that need to be done. And because of them -- no other pressing enviro topic can rise to public debate. And I resent that. PLENTY of issues need attention. NONE of them can get a hearing because of gigantic turd clogging the bowl..

I'm convinced the Global Warming whackos has hijacked the entire momentum of enviro tasks that need to be done. And because of them -- no other pressing enviro topic can rise to public debate. And I resent that. PLENTY of issues need attention. NONE of them can get a hearing because of gigantic turd clogging the bowl..

What other issue(s) are you referring to?

What other issue(s) are you referring to?

when you mentioned "our current relation with the environment" -- what were YOUR issues??? I have my list -- you have yours.. NOTHING moves on the environment because the Gwarming fanatics are fillibustering every issue as related to their religion.. They KILLED enviro activism for past couple decades..

I think the UN needs to spend more time cleaning up the garbage dumps in international waters and addressing invasive species due to Intl commerce (for instance) and MUCH LESS TIME Dicking around with this failed GW circus.. OUR GOVT ought to FORCED to clean up the RADIOACTIVE DUMPS at its old nuclear weapons plants.

Just off the top of my head..

The science is SETTLED!!!!
GOD DAMNIT~!!!!!!!!!

al-gore-hot-air.jpg

The attempt to PANIC folks into political action has not changed much since Nixon Admin..
Except for the "snow-tripping Mastodons" part..

From this account -- I believe the plot to push this as a political agenda probably came on the First Earth Day..

I see several points to this thread

1. Scientists were correct in the Nixon days. The science has been remarkably consistent.

2. Most deniers are capable of nothing but alarmism.

3. Flac sucks at reading comprehension. There was no prediction of a 10 foot sea level rise by 2000, only a prediction of a CO2 rise, which was entirely correct. Flac here created a hysterics thread based on his inability to parse simple English, and other deniers also jumped on the same idiot bandwagon.

So Flac, will you admit your screwup here, or double down on it and move yourself into the realm of deliberate liar?

Last edited:

1. Scientists were correct in the Nixon days. The science has been remarkably consistent.

3. Flac sucks at reading comprehension. There was no prediction of a 10 foot sea level rise by 2000, only a prediction of a CO2 rise, which was entirely correct. Flac here created a hysterics thread based on his inability to parse simple English, and other deniers also jumped on the same idiot bandwagon.

So Flac, will you admit your screwup here, or double down on it and move yourself into the realm of deliberate liar?

Double down you clown... Shall I add a poll??

<<Letter from Moynihan>> "There is widespread agreement that carbon dioxide content will rise 25 percent by 2000, Moynihan wrote in a September 1969 memo.

Not only did he mention a DATE, AND a CO2 prediction, but projected surface temp anomalies and sea levels.. So much for your argument that folks weren't made aware of science speculation on COOLING in 70s as well as the early beginnings of your religion..

Your #2 is not in evidence.. Must be a personal projection about alarmism.. Nothing I've said is alarmist. Who exactly has the comprehension issue here?

Well, you're right, of course, about ol' fecalhead sucking at reading comprehension. But do you actually seriously doubt that he is a deliberate liar? Dude! He's a troll! Possibly a paid troll. He lies though his teeth all the time.

He is a retard though and he demonstrates that once again with his reply to your post in which he again misunderstands what Moynihan was saying. He posted these quotes, stupidly imagining that they somehow supported his lies. ""There is widespread agreement that carbon dioxide content will rise 25 percent by 2000", Moynihan wrote in a September 1969 memo." "This could increase the average temperature near the earth's surface by 7 degrees Fahrenheit." "This in turn could raise the level of the sea by 10 feet. Goodbye New York. Goodbye Washington, for that matter." Saying that CO2 will rise by 2000 and then saying that this increase in CO2 could increase temperatures obviously doesn't mean that that temperature increase has to also happen by 2000. Then saying that the CO2 driven temperature increase will "in turn" cause sea levels to rise also obviously doesn't mean that the full rise in sea levels would necessarily have to happen by the year 2000. Normal people would understand this but fecalhead is a retard and a liar so it's hard to tell if he's just mentally incapable of comprehending the meaning or if he is deliberately trying to distort the meaning of his quote (which is a meaningless bit of denier cult propaganda in any case).

In 1991 pop-culture "scientist" and astronomer Carl Sagan predicted a "nuclear winter" similar to the Tambora volcano that erupted in the 18th century if Saddam ignited his oil wells in the 1st Gulf War. Saddam's maniacs lit off 700 oil wells that burned from January to November when American experts were able to put them out and there was barely a whimper from the sun and the earth. It's estimated by reliable and real science that there aren't enough nuclear weapons available in the world to detonate and raise the temperature of the world a single degree.

Sane folks would disagree with the underachiever interpretation of these notes now enshrined in the Nixon Library...

That's what I just said!

Sane folks DO disagree with your retarded misinterpretations of the material you cited. But then you're an insane retard, so your crackpot misunderstandings are not surprising.

Sane folks would disagree with the underachiever interpretation of these notes now enshrined in the Nixon Library...

That's what I just said!

Sane folks DO disagree with your retarded misinterpretations of the material you cited. But then you're an insane retard, so your crackpot misunderstandings are not surprising.

Since Nixon baby.. Agents of doom, reading tea leaves, making wild ass wagers they can't cash..

Forum List

Back