GOP Constitutional Amendment: Guns for Felons, Rapists and Murderers. Good Job!

R

rdean

New Orleans judge rules statute forbidding felons from having firearms unconstitutional after 'fundamental right' amendment

An Orleans Parish judge on Thursday ruled that the state statute forbidding certain felons from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, in the wake of a constitutional amendment passed last year that made the right to bear arms a fundamental one in Louisiana

Derbigny ruled that the entire statute -- RS 14:95.1 -- was unconstitutional after voters last year approved by a sweeping majority a constitutional amendment backed by the National Rifle Association. That bill made gun ownership a "fundamental right," on the same level as freedom of speech or religion.

A court interpreting any law restricting a fundamental right -- as gun ownership is now considered -- must approach it with "strict scrutiny," the highest level of judicial scrutiny.

Gov. Bobby Jindal wrote an op-ed too, but his exhorted voters to pass the amendment, which he described as "an ironclad guarantee of freedom here in Louisiana."

In a prepared statement Thursday, the Jindal administration said: "We disagree with the judge's ruling. The amendment passed last session is not in conflict with Louisiana or federal law barring felons from owning guns."

Cannizzaro's office, meanwhile, offered an "I told you so" statement.

"District Attorney Cannizzaro predicted that the passing of this amendment would cause prosecutors across the state to go to court and defend the constitutionality of 14:95.1," Bowman said Thursday.

Loyola Law School professor Dane Ciolino said it's not unusual for constitutional amendments to have consequences voters may not have foreseen.

----------------------------------------------------------
Every time I post one of these stories about another Republican fuck-up, USMB Republicans scream I'm biased and "just plain mean".

bobby jindal amends constitution - guns for felons

I'm telling you, I couldn't make this shit up. It simply doesn't occur to me. The GOP is the party of "We Fucked Up". It's what they do. What is it they are thinking? Or do they think? Damn.

Your title is a lie. This is a STATE issue not a federal. Go suck an egg you dumb ass.

By the way? Judges get things wrong all the time that's why we have appeals courts.

good grief, such a warped little world this one exist in...

everything bad, Republicans

anything good if there was ever any-Democrats

He doesn't care if has to MAKE up shit or just flat out lie

what a sad exsistence

Last edited:
wouldn't surprise me

roge130917.gif

Your title is a lie. This is a STATE issue not a federal. Go suck an egg you dumb ass.

By the way? Judges get things wrong all the time that's why we have appeals courts.

in the wake of a constitutional amendment passed last year

You didn't know that states have constitutions? Really?

good grief, such a warped little world this one exist in...

everything bad, Republicans

anything good if there was ever any-Democrats

He doesn't care if has to MAKE up shit or just flat out lie

what a sad exsistence

Where's the lie? Besides you, I don't see one. Come one dumbass, spell it out.

The issue really comes down to one of when has that debt been paid to society. If a man is convicted of a crime, completes his sentence, is his debt to society paid or is every felony really a life sentence? If we're willing to suspend one civil right for felons, what about others? They've already lost the right to own a gun or vote, do felons lose their first amendment rights? Fourth? Fifth? Thirteenth? Where is the dividing line between what released felons can and cannot do legally once they have supposedly completed their sentence? What about the nature of the felony? So many things are felonies that should there be a blanket prohibition on gun ownership because someone failed to pay a tax or file the right form or built a house on a piece of wetland or any number of other things that are felonies but that are victimless crimes?

I think it's more than just a soundbite and stupid NRA story and is something we should be debating.

The issue really comes down to one of when has that debt been paid to society. If a man is convicted of a crime, completes his sentence, is his debt to society paid or is every felony really a life sentence? If we're willing to suspend one civil right for felons, what about others? They've already lost the right to own a gun or vote, do felons lose their first amendment rights? Fourth? Fifth? Thirteenth? Where is the dividing line between what released felons can and cannot do legally once they have supposedly completed their sentence? What about the nature of the felony? So many things are felonies that should there be a blanket prohibition on gun ownership because someone failed to pay a tax or file the right form or built a house on a piece of wetland or any number of other things that are felonies but that are victimless crimes?

I think it's more than just a soundbite and stupid NRA story and is something we should be debating.

If a rapist points a loaded gun at a woman and rapes her, goes to prison, should he be allowed to own a gun after getting out of prison? In my opinion, what he did was so evil, he lost the right to ever own anther gun. Course Republicans see things different. They are thinking about the rights of the rapist.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure, GOP loves rapists. Got it. :lol:

Now, when is a criminal's debt to society paid? Do the nature of the felonies matter or just that a felony has been committed, especially considering just how many things are felonies these days? Should someone who once committed a crime never have civil rights restored?

If a criminal is still a danger to society we need to change the laws on how long they may be held for said crimes. Once a person has paid the debt they should have all rights restored.

Since there are several categories of crimes from which the recidivism rate is nearly 100 percent then perhaps we should make those crimes punishable by life in prison? The threat is letting them out at all. But of course rather then address the real problem the left will blame an inanimate object.

If a criminal is still a danger to society we need to change the laws on how long they may be held for said crimes. Once a person has paid the debt they should have all rights restored.

Since there are several categories of crimes from which the recidivism rate is nearly 100 percent then perhaps we should make those crimes punishable by life in prison? The threat is letting them out at all. But of course rather then address the real problem the left will blame an inanimate object.

Some guy before you says, "yea the GOP loves rapists" in a sarcastic manner.

Then you say: Once a person has paid the debt they should have all rights restored.

I don't know if you have ever known a woman who has been raped, but the criminal can never pay enough. That woman has to live with that for the rest of her life. It's something she will always fear again. And her family has to live with it.

Republicans are like the "Bad Seed". No empathy. No feelings for their fellow Americans. Selfish. Greedy. Mean. No shame or embarrassment for what they've done. It's always the other person's fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe Republicans would come down on the side of criminals to own weapons. Then why complain about gangs in Chicago? Aren't they criminals? Shouldn't they own weapons too?

Will Republicans try to pass this same amendment for the entire United States? What will this do for Bobby's chances of being president?

I can't believe Republicans would come down on the side of criminals to own weapons. Then why complain about gangs in Chicago? Aren't they criminals? Shouldn't they own weapons too?

The sheer number of things that lead to felony convictions in this country is staggering to comprehend. Look up the Clean Water Act. Pouring you old coffee on the ground can lead to a felony conviction. Should a citizen lose his civil rights over that because that is what a felony conviction does.

Taking out you emotional hyperbole about rapists and guns and whatnot, it still doesn't answer the question of when does a criminal pay off his debt to society and earn his rights back? If someone is still a threat after his sentence is up, why is he allowed to roam around or should we just lock everyone up and throw away the key...just in case.

Umm, the judge who issued the convoluted ruling is a democrat. Maybe he needs to take a refresher course to learn that there are legitimate restrictions on firearms possessions that nobody in their right mind disputes. Driving a car is a basic right. Would the dopey judge rule that drunks should be able to drive?

Umm, the judge who issued the convoluted ruling is a democrat. Maybe he needs to take a refresher course to learn that there are legitimate restrictions on firearms possessions that nobody in their right mind disputes. Driving a car is a basic right. Would the dopey judge rule that drunks should be able to drive?

Driving is not listed in the state constitution.

rdean lies again....the amendment doesn't say what his title claims. even the gop governor disagrees with the ruling. but don't let facts get in rdean's way.

Driving is not listed in the state constitution.

OK, bad example. Every sane person in the Country understands that there are legitimate restrictions on gun ownership even though the state acknowledges the "right to keep and bear arms". The convoluted decision by the judge who ran on the democrat ticket is like releasing someone who was arrested for yelling "fire" in a crowded theater because the state acknowledged the "1st Amendment right to free speech".

more proof rdean lied, here is the issue before the court:

Public defenders Jill Pasquarella and Colin Reingold argued that under a strict-scrutiny test, the government must be able to provide compelling data showing that those convicted of crimes like simple burglary prove a heightened threat to society when armed.

nothing about rapist or murderers and nothing about the gop

are you and luddly sock puppets?

Forum List

Back