GOP hopefuls remind Iowans they oppose Gay Rights

Just a minor point.

Opposition to same sex marriage is not opposition to gay rights.
How do you figure that? You are opposed to the right of sane, sober taxpaying American citizens to avail themselves of the protection afforded by contract law and you are not opposed to gay rights?

Walk me through your argument please.
And what "rights" are gays bitching about now?

They have the same "rights" as the rest of us.

And, just when did opposition to same sex marriage equate to being against "gay rights".
That's the point. If you deny the protection of legally binding contracts to someone BECAUSE they are gay, you are denying them all the rights every straight citizen enjoys. Why? Aren't gay people worthy of the same rights as any other American?

There's NOTHING sanctified by the state, let alone marriage. Therefore, as far as the state is concerned, there is NO sanctity of marriage. It's a contract which establishes, basically, a third 'entity' from two people. It provides legal protections for all many of situations. It should not be denied because someone feels the 'sanctity' of marriage is jeopardized. And it certainly should not be denied because of blind bigotry either. Denying rights to law abiding citizens is the last thing a free society should do.

Just a minor point.

How do you figure that? You are opposed to the right of sane, sober taxpaying American citizens to avail themselves of the protection afforded by contract law and you are not opposed to gay rights?

Marriage is not a civil right, neither is making a contract of any type. A person can easily support polices that prevent discrimination against gays and lesbians and oppose same sex marriage, Obama does it all the time.

I'm all for same sex marriage. If people are really stupid enough to enter into a contract that's essentially economic slavery, more power to them.

BUT...

I am AGAINST a special, protected class. You should NOT have to be Gay or have to SAY you're Gay to marry a same sex partner. Heteros should also be able to marry same sex partners.

Why would they want to?
What difference does it make? If they want to they should be able to.

Do they ask hetero male/female couples why they want to marry? No.

Do they ask Gay same-sex couples why they want to marry? No.

Should they ask same sex couples if they are Gay? NO. It's none of their fucking business.

who's asking them?

Why would they want to?

Should they ask same sex couples if they are Gay? NO. It's none of their fucking business.

who's asking them?
In states where gay marriage is legal, you have to certify you're gay to marry a same sex partner.

who's asking them?
In states where gay marriage is legal, you have to certify you're gay to marry a same sex partner.

horseshit

Massachusetts Laws

Massachusetts Constitution

MGL c.207. Marriage. The same laws and procedures that govern traditional marriage also apply to same-sex marriages. There are no special procedures for a same-sex marriage.

Massachusetts Law About Same-Sex Marriage

who's asking them?

horseshit

Massachusetts Laws

MGL c.207. Marriage. The same laws and procedures that govern traditional marriage also apply to same-sex marriages. There are no special procedures for a same-sex marriage.

There was a lawsuit about this a couple or three years ago, in MA if I'm not too much mistaken. But might be. They were requiring the certification, in the state where the lawsuit was filed. The defense was, the "slippery slope" argument. That if heteros were allowed to marry same sex partners, what would be next? people marrying their animals, their cars? The law was changed, as I recall.

It's the difference between "gay marriage" and "same sex marriage." In all instances, they shouldn't be asking anyone why they want to get married, or ask them anything at all about their sexual orientation. because it's not relevant. Heteros should be able to marry a same sex partner just like gays.

Then what is it?
Opposition to gay "wants"

There is no such thing as gay "rights"

They need to start realizing it, and quit their damn bitching about it.

Ooooh, So gays don't deserve rights? I get it.

We don't have a system of group rights.

Our rights are individual ones. Everyone has the same rights.

No one can stop a gay man from marrying someone in this nation. He simply has to comply with the law concerning marriage, like everyone else.

No one is stopping him from entering any relationship he choices, or from calling it whatever he wants to. What we do oppose is redefining marriage. There is no reason the government should be regulating same sex relationships. There is no benefit to the government from these unions.

All this really is is an attempt to equip those who hate religion with a legal weapon to attack religion.

Just a minor point.

Marriage is not a civil right, neither is making a contract of any type. A person can easily support polices that prevent discrimination against gays and lesbians and oppose same sex marriage, Obama does it all the time.
Exactly!.....If marriage were a "RIGHT" there would be no reasons for states to deny a marriage license for ANY reason.

I'm sick of hearing this "RIGHTS" crap......It's ridiculous, and nothing more than a left wing ploy to make it appear as something it's not.

horseshit

Massachusetts Laws

There was a lawsuit about this a couple or three years ago, in MA if I'm not too much mistaken. But might be. They were requiring the certification, in the state where the lawsuit was filed. The defense was, the "slippery slope" argument. That if heteros were allowed to marry same sex partners, what would be next? people marrying their animals, their cars? The law was changed, as I recall.

It's the difference between "gay marriage" and "same sex marriage." In all instances, they shouldn't be asking anyone why they want to get married, or ask them anything at all about their sexual orientation. because it's not relevant. Heteros should be able to marry a same sex partner just like gays.

i'll wait while you provide something beyond "i seem to remember a case somewhere" :lol:

what a load of horseshit, really.

Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO), there are 1,138[1] statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. These rights and responsibilities apply only to male-female couples, as the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

And DOMA has been ruled Constitutional by the Supreme Court more than once.

Rick Santorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Social conservatives drop out of CPAC because gay Republicans are participating - Last Word

Bryan Fischer: Pawlenty: would reinstate ban on homosexuals in military - RIGHTLYCONCERNED.COM

Pawlenty says voters should toss pro-gay judges | Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Pawlenty vows veto of same-sex measure - Topix

Minnesota Gov. Pawlenty on 2012 - Newsweek

Question:

Answer:

Question:

Answer:

Question:

Answer:

Question:

Answer:

My general view on all of this is that marriage is to be defined as being a union of a man and a woman. Marriage should be elevated in our society at a special level. I don't think all domestic relationships are the equivalent of traditional marriage. Early on we decided as a country and as a state that there was value in a man and a woman being married in terms of impact on children and the like, and we want to encourage that.
Donald Trump Doesn't Want Fags To Have Shared Medical Benefits, Either / Queerty

What I find disgusting is these serial divorcees like Trump and Newt trying to talk about the sanctity of marriage.

So do I. What does that have to do with the OP?

By the way, the Supreme Court ruled a long time ago that the government has the power to define marriage however they want, and that that power actually trumps the Bill of Rights. If the right to practice a religion does not trump the power of the government to define marriage as being between one man and one woman, the right to get married is not going to cut it.

I'm all for same sex marriage. If people are really stupid enough to enter into a contract that's essentially economic slavery, more power to them.

BUT...

I am AGAINST a special, protected class. You should NOT have to be Gay or have to SAY you're Gay to marry a same sex partner. Heteros should also be able to marry same sex partners.

Why would they want to?

if i was old and my husband was dead and my older sister was alone as well, I would want to join in a union with her to manage our finances, be able to visit her in the hospital, make legal decisions together....etc...

basically for the perks and simplification that comes with a legal union of that sort....

horseshit

Massachusetts Laws

i'll wait while you provide something beyond "i seem to remember a case somewhere" :lol:

It involved the certificate, the section of the law was repealed.

Hopefully we agree, there should be no such requirement in any event.

DoMA has never been argued in front of SCOTUS.

They have, however, refused to hear cases on appeal that upheld the law.

that's hardly the same. 1st district declared in unconstitutional on 10th amendment grounds. it'll wind up in front of SCOTUS eventually and be struck down, eventually, imo.

If it is it will not be for the reason that the 1st District ruled it unconstitutional. That was one of the shittiest legal arguments I have ever read.

They have, however, refused to hear cases on appeal that upheld the law.

that's hardly the same. 1st district declared in unconstitutional on 10th amendment grounds. it'll wind up in front of SCOTUS eventually and be struck down, eventually, imo.

If it is it will not be for the reason that the 1st District ruled it unconstitutional. That was one of the shittiest legal arguments I have ever read.

your disagreement notwithstanding, it's the kind of law that should make a conservative puke.

horseshit

Massachusetts Laws

All rights are same in principle, essentially the problem is the rights involved in marriage, not so much the actual phrase 'marriage', heterosexual marriage will never be the same as homosexual marriage, will the rights involved be under 'gay marriage' sure, but different circumstances will apply.

But the issue depends how individualist you go, your political, religious and ideological views will restrict what rights you believe in, at the same time though simple disagreement (or straight out hatred) doesn't necessarily mean they can't still exist and be tolerated. If gay marriage comes to exist, then it will satisfy one group wanting more rights, there are plenty of other groups that want rights that's true, and they should have them so long as it doesn't violate other people's rights or discriminate negatively against people (which I don't see gay marriage doing). But sure in the case of violation of rights and discrimination due to them, the rights people are wanting shouldn't come to pass or come into effect.

PS: You could still have the same rights of marriage under the term of civil union and/or have gay marriage while not forcing religious groups to recognize such marriages, and allowing those religious groups and others that wish to recognize such marriages to do so, as far as I understand with the debate some are demanding 'marriage' in every place of worship, that in itself would violate the rights of those not wanting to do so, if you were to class this in the same category as property rights then you are entitled to not let people onto your property. But then arises the issue of whether this is the same as segregation, as you are prohibiting use of private places of worship for a particular activity i.e. marriage.

Last edited:
Democrats I would think you would want to make your political party in favor of gay marriage before you start worrying about the other party.

Btw I agree with you, anyone of legal age should be able to get married irregardless of sex, personally I want government out of ALL marriages. But look in the mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Forum List

Back