GOP introduces national right-to-work legislation

As some one who runs a business I shudder at the thought of negotiating work rules with a union. I need bureaucrats like I need a hole in the head..

I need a boss who shows preference for one employee over another or who changes expectations or conditions of employment like I need two holes in my chest and one in my head. Without written regulations, employers all too often do those things and more.

As some one who runs a business I shudder at the thought of negotiating work rules with a union. I need bureaucrats like I need a hole in the head..

I need a boss who shows preference for one employee over another or who changes expectations or conditions of employment like I need two holes in my chest and one in my head. Without written regulations, employers all too often do those things and more.
I have no problem with intelligent useful regulation. If you dealt with the pin head govt bureaucrats and utterly mindless crap I deal with, you'd be singing a different tune. I'll tell you what, if you ever have a family member that wants to say pass on a family recipe for bread, have it written by 6 lawyers and 9 govt bureaucrats, then let me know how it turns out. I'm betting that by the time they get to page 47 you might start to get an idea of what we out here in the real world deal with.

I have no problem with intelligent useful regulation. If you dealt with the pin head govt bureaucrats and utterly mindless crap I deal with, you'd be singing a different tune. I'll tell you what, if you ever have a family member that wants to say pass on a family recipe for bread, have it written by 6 lawyers and 9 govt bureaucrats, then let me know how it turns out. I'm betting that by the time they get to page 47 you might start to get an idea of what we out here in the real world deal with.

I work for an Electric Utility Company. Trust me, Government Regulations and bureaucracy along with Legal wranglings are part of my work life as well. We also get to deal with customers who feel that the requirement to provide them service means we have to bend over backwards to do whatever they want.

I work for an Electric Utility Company. Trust me, Government Regulations and bureaucracy along with Legal wranglings are part of my work life as well. We also get to deal with customers who feel that the requirement to provide them service means we have to bend over backwards to do whatever they want.
For me it's often the people from the govt that I have to deal with. I've said this before but the last 2 times I've had dealings with OSHA, once at my firm , once working as a consultant, the actual agents were as follows. At my firm the woman told us that 9 months earlier she was working behind the counter of a post office. At the consulting site I found out the agent graduated a year earlier with a degree in English. In the case of the English major, she was dealing with staff who had been operating and maintaining that very equipment for longer than she'd been alive, literally. In either case a year earlier neither of them would have known an hydraulic power press from a trout.

My other favorite bitching story about the govt was when I did some work for the Air Force. At that time they were on a big "buy American" kick. I had to document everything was US made, we joked that we should make sure our light bulbs were US made so the light would pass. So eventually they send 2 quaity control inspectors to my shop for a source inspection, which is normal. The funny part was that neither of the inspectors spoke English. Have you ever tried to discuss geometric tolerances with one guy speaking English, another speaking Farsi and the third speaking Portuguese. Utterly maddening but par for the course.

"Right to be exploited", more like.

Look at workers in Western Europe, and how their unions got them paid parental leave, shorter work weeks, better benefits, unlimited sick time, and ultimately....higher productivity.

And failing economies and lower productivity.

Their productivity per man/hour is higher than ours.

That's what has been happening more and more so your theory needs work.

As usual you miss the point in spectacular fashion.

Jobs go overseas because the corporations feed off inequality and not because unions fight for a fairer slice of the pie.
If the world was more equal then you would not feel the need to build this ridiculous wall.
If the world was more equal you'd be paying a lot more for everything.
Not necessarily. If the world was more equal then ,for example, Africa would become an important market and we would sell more to them. We would all benefit.

And the man would not be able to play off Mexican against American in order to depress wages.

And most importantly the world would be a better place to live.
Most certainly you would pay more for everything. That's not even controversial. Where do you think Africans would get the money to afford our goods and services? From higher prices for their goods, of course.
Are they not entitled to the lifestyle that you enjoy ?
They are entitled to the lifestyle they earn.

I wonder if said unions decided to give people a chance to support if they wanted. I'd be very happy with unions if they did that, in fact, I could even maybe support unions as a 'good' influence instead of a 'bad' one if they'd agree to voluntary participation of their members.

That's not the way a Union works. Despite the English spelling, there is no "I" in Union. There is a "We". Take that away and suddenly the whole Union no longer works.

Imagine a workplace where 8 people supposedly have the same job. 4 of them are members of a Union, and have rules about what they can/can't do. The other 4 are not bound by those rules. How efficiently do you think that dep as recent is going to work? Not very well, as I see it.
That doesn't make sense, work rules should be set by the company not the union. There in lies the problem with unions, they not only want to "organize" the workers, they want to dictate to the employer.
Owners Aren't Earners

It's a team, not a one-man show. You're only defiant when going against your fellow workers, not in standing up to the boss's treatment of you like a Cash Cow. So you have to come on like a superbossy tough guy to cover up your cowardice as you slavishly bootlick your Lord and Master. You're making Capitalism into a totalitarian religion. Communism is State Capitalism, and Capitalism is Communism for the rich.
I am the boss, Lord and Master. And I earn everything I get. I work longer hours than anyone, I take all the risks and I'm responsible for all. So save me the Obama crap that "I didn't build that". I built everything except the building, that I bought and paid for.

You sound like the typical leftwinger, anyone that owns a business is sitting around doing nothing and collecting the money. Some of us work our asses off and will apologize to no one.
Walking Tall by Walking All Over People

You're a conceited parasite. Becoming a workoholic zombie turns you into a freak that should never have power over his workers. Also, you are the proverbial Jack of All Trades, Master of None. You take on too many responsibilities and drag your company down. Your employees are the ones who cover your risks, so taking risks is nothing to brag about. And your simple-minded reaction that anyone who dares question your supremacy must be a government-power extremist makes you not worth debating with.

I wonder if said unions decided to give people a chance to support if they wanted. I'd be very happy with unions if they did that, in fact, I could even maybe support unions as a 'good' influence instead of a 'bad' one if they'd agree to voluntary participation of their members.

That's not the way a Union works. Despite the English spelling, there is no "I" in Union. There is a "We". Take that away and suddenly the whole Union no longer works.

Imagine a workplace where 8 people supposedly have the same job. 4 of them are members of a Union, and have rules about what they can/can't do. The other 4 are not bound by those rules. How efficiently do you think that dep as recent is going to work? Not very well, as I see it.
That doesn't make sense, work rules should be set by the company not the union. There in lies the problem with unions, they not only want to "organize" the workers, they want to dictate to the employer.
Owners Aren't Earners

It's a team, not a one-man show. You're only defiant when going against your fellow workers, not in standing up to the boss's treatment of you like a Cash Cow. So you have to come on like a superbossy tough guy to cover up your cowardice as you slavishly bootlick your Lord and Master. You're making Capitalism into a totalitarian religion. Communism is State Capitalism, and Capitalism is Communism for the rich.
I am the boss, Lord and Master. And I earn everything I get. I work longer hours than anyone, I take all the risks and I'm responsible for all. So save me the Obama crap that "I didn't build that". I built everything except the building, that I bought and paid for.

You sound like the typical leftwinger, anyone that owns a business is sitting around doing nothing and collecting the money. Some of us work our asses off and will apologize to no one.
Walking Tall by Walking All Over People

You're a conceited parasite. Becoming a workoholic zombie turns you into a freak that should never have power over his workers. Also, you are the proverbial Jack of All Trades, Master of None. You take on too many responsibilities and drag your company down. Your employees are the ones who cover your risks, so taking risks is nothing to brag about. And your simple-minded reaction that anyone who dares question your supremacy must be a government-power extremist makes you not worth debating with.
Wow, you sure can glean a lot from a few web posts. Sadly, you got every thing wrong except for two, I have been accused of being a workaholic, mostly by my wife. Of course even she will concede that it never interfered with my time with my children. Picked them up from school everyday when they were young and never missed a wrestling match, swim meet or tennis match. The best perk of being your own boss, make your own schedule. The second is in my building I am the Jack of all trades, I've done every job in the building and I'm still the best machinist even though I don't do it anymore.

So lets look at your delusions. Parasite no,- I've taken nothing from no one except my parents and that was given freely. Zombie no - I love my children and wife, my family, the outdoors and music in that order. Do volunteer work and have a good social life(Ok my wife gets credit for that). For the most part my employees love me, some of my closest friends. 2 of my first 3 employees are still with me 28 years later. The 3rd is dead. I take on the responsibilities required to run a small business and my company is doing well closing in on 3 decades later. Risks are necessary to start and run a business. If the business went under the bank and bill collectors would not be looking for my employees. I am very open minded and consider the two most important lessons learned from business are to delegate authority and listen. At work I am indeed the supreme leader, Some one has to be, why not the guy that created the business and shepherded it successfully for all these years. At home I am second in charge, my wife is the boss. Although at varying times my children have been known to usurp my position. And if there's one thing no one could ever accuse me of it's supporting govt power.

Ok now my turn. You are an underachiever who blames his failures on others. You don't have many friends because you are petty and jealous. You support leftwing and SJW causes because the man is keeping you down. You hate your boss because he demands excellence, makes more money than you, has a beautiful wife and a nice car. You don't seek to improve your skill set because what's the point the man is going to keep you down anyway. You live in your parents basement, never had a girl friend, got laid once when one of your older sister's friends got really drunk at party, that you weren't even invited to. Your mom still has your participation trophies on the mantle. You don't like children or dogs because they're messy and noisy. You've never fired a gun or been in a fight. And lastly you have two cats named after Japanese anime characters.

I nailed it didn't I?

Forum List

Back