GOP Leadership Memo Suggests Senate Cannot Block Trial If House Votes To Impeach Trump

Can the Senate Decline to Try an Impeachment Case?

The Constitution does not by its express terms direct the Senate to try an impeachment. In fact, it confers on the Senate "the sole power to try,” which is a conferral of exclusive constitutional authority and not a procedural command. The Constitution couches the power to impeach in the same terms: it is the House’s “sole power.” The House may choose to impeach or not, and one can imagine an argument that the Senate is just as free, in the exercise of its own “sole power,” to decline to try any impeachment that the House elects to vote.

McConnell would be wise to put it up in the Senate and ride this out.

If he refuses this would damage him and the GOP.

The Constitution does not by its express terms direct the Senate to try an impeachment. In fact, it confers on the Senate "the sole power to try,” which is a conferral of exclusive constitutional authority and not a procedural command. The Constitution couches the power to impeach in the same terms: it is the House’s “sole power.” The House may choose to impeach or not, and one can imagine an argument that the Senate is just as free, in the exercise of its own “sole power,” to decline to try any impeachment that the House elects to vote.

Agree, but first Nancy cud chewer has to find her balls.

Nope! They are not obligated. The House has not even voted. So why should the Senate?

I am missing something here and it is confusing me because I stated if the House Impeaches Trump then the Senate will vote on Conviction after.

So this is after the House votes and not before...

So I am starting to wonder does the Trump voters even read anymore or have all of you become like the left?
Certainly it's after bruce IF McConnell allows it

McConnell has no choice...

correct, if the house voted to impeach, the senate would be required to have a vote to remove. I think that requires 3/5 of the senators. It won't happen. What will happen is that american voters will get fed up with this BS and remove dems from the house in 2020. Its funny watching the dems destroy themselves.
when the country hears what we have on this pos in our wh you stand a good chance of losing the senate too

What do you have that you haven't been trumpeting for the last two years?

Agree, but first Nancy cud chewer has to find her balls.

Nancy has no choice or Cortez will lead a revolt.

Actually, I kind of feel sorry for Nancy because either way she goes she is damn...

Now we can see which cowardly republican traitors stand up for Trump
As impeachment proceedings officially begin in the House, speculation has quickly turned to how they might end in the Senate. Republican leadership clarified that the Senate must take action if the lower chamber approves articles of impeachment against President Trump.

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate,” stated a GOP leadership memo reportedly obtained by HuffPost. “The rules of impeachment are clear on this point.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the formal impeachment inquiry into Trump last Tuesday after the White House released a memo of Trump’s conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Following the decision was the release of an anonymous whistleblower complaint against the president over his repeated attempts to enlist Ukrainian officials to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, and allegedly withholding almost $400 million in military aid from Ukraine as leverage.

This is unbelievable that you support the Democrats of trying to eliminate a political rival during a presidential election, how low will the left really go?

So sorry republicans? We have the supreme Court, the Senate, the White House, and soon the house! No amount of smoke and mirrors worthless leftist traitor spew will change that!

As impeachment proceedings officially begin in the House, speculation has quickly turned to how they might end in the Senate. Republican leadership clarified that the Senate must take action if the lower chamber approves articles of impeachment against President Trump.

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate,” stated a GOP leadership memo reportedly obtained by HuffPost. “The rules of impeachment are clear on this point.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the formal impeachment inquiry into Trump last Tuesday after the White House released a memo of Trump’s conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Following the decision was the release of an anonymous whistleblower complaint against the president over his repeated attempts to enlist Ukrainian officials to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, and allegedly withholding almost $400 million in military aid from Ukraine as leverage.

This is unbelievable that you support the Democrats of trying to eliminate a political rival during a presidential election, how low will the left really go?

When in Rome do as the Romans do

correct, if the house voted to impeach, the senate would be required to have a vote to remove. I think that requires 3/5 of the senators. It won't happen. What will happen is that american voters will get fed up with this BS and remove dems from the house in 2020. Its funny watching the dems destroy themselves.
when the country hears what we have on this pos in our wh you stand a good chance of losing the senate too

Not on your worthless life loser. You look even dumber than usual today. Did you iron your dress and get your panties out of that wad? You must be on what, your fourth or fifth tampon today? You've already lost and you're so dumb you don't even know it.
Schmuck Only thing I'm on is my 2nd scotch

So you're posting while drunk. That may help explain some things.......
I don't get drunk But I don't need a drink to tell you are a trump AH

Funny how desperate pathetic lefties fantasize about bringing down an administration without having to go to the trouble to win an election.. My biggest fear is the extent that the radical crazy American left will join up with jihadists on Trump's next inauguration day.
I for one would join with the Devil to see you AH's get what you deserve

Not on your worthless life loser. You look even dumber than usual today. Did you iron your dress and get your panties out of that wad? You must be on what, your fourth or fifth tampon today? You've already lost and you're so dumb you don't even know it.

Nothing wrong being drunk... It is when you wake and you look to your side and want to chew your arm off is when you know you got sloppy drunk...

Oh well...

Anyhoo, in the end McConnell will do what is right and will proceed if and when Pelosi get the House to Impeach...

The left’s obsession with impeachment goes to show how much they hate the American people for electing the Donald. You fascists hate our Republic and will do anything to undo the election you lost. Just keep it up though, you’ll get that civil war you are yearning for.

glass or bottle?
A small glass and just 2 I drink the expensive stuff and I gotta take it easy

Trump has provided the smoking gun with the transcript or memo as well as the whistleblowers complaint. Once his taxes and emoluments clause violations come to light, how could anyone merely dismiss the evidence? The articles of impeachment will be rock solid and air tight, to everyone but the most rabid Trump supporter.

Right. IOW "trump won and it hurt my feelings and we will use ANYthing, ANYthing to bring him down"

Like we can't see through that hahahahahahah
Your argument is one made by those who do not understand the difference between right and wrong, ethical and crooked, clean and dirty.

Your blind obedience to Trump for winning the election and restoring a "Repubican" to the White House has erased any real love for the constitution you may have once had.

Sure sure sure

ad hominems--the last resort of the lazy Leftist. BOORRRING
Does the rule of law apply to Trump? Is he an infallible monarch working for his own personal gain, or does extorting campaign dirt really in the best interest of the American people? Is he a stable genius, or is he making up his own rules without accountability?

He didn't break a single law. Did the Biden's? Do you even care
He told us he broke the law! Do you even care?

Nothing wrong being drunk... It is when you wake and you look to your side and want to chew your arm off is when you know you got sloppy drunk...

Oh well...

Anyhoo, in the end McConnell will do what is right and will proceed if and when Pelosi get the House to Impeach...
yes chew your arm off rather than wakening her up

GOP Leadership Memo Suggests Senate Cannot Block Trial If House Votes To Impeach Trump

Sounds good - but apparently "McConnell could call a vote on a motion to dismiss, which would effectively amount to a vote to acquit Trump of wrongdoing." I don't trust any of them!

I don't believe that will be happening, not if Trump has a say. Because president Spectacle will expect a big, beautiful spectacle be made of his acquittal, and he will celebrate it for months to come - thus it will have to be a spectacular spectacle, quite unlike what the nation has ever seen before.

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles” of impeachment, states the memo.

The Republican leadership issued a memo Saturday clarifying that the Senate must take action if the House of Representatives approves articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. The statement came in response to concerns that the Senate could simply refuse to hold a trial.

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate,” stated the memo, which was obtained by HuffPost. “The rules of impeachment are clear on this point.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also said as much in a March interview with NPR: “If it [impeachment] were to happen, the Senate has no choice. If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial.”

McConnell could call a vote on a motion to dismiss, which would effectively amount to a vote to acquit Trump of wrongdoing.

Sounds good - but apparently "McConnell could call a vote on a motion to dismiss, which would effectively amount to a vote to acquit Trump of wrongdoing." I don't trust any of them!
Of course the senate will defend trump. So what? Republicans would impeach a democratic president

He tried to get a foreign leader to make up fake dirt on his political opponent.

Let republicans defend and deny he did that

So sorry republicans? We have the supreme Court, the Senate, the White House, and soon the house! No amount of smoke and mirrors worthless leftist traitor spew will change that!

You had control the two chambers for 4 years and the last 2 with tramp you guys didn't nothing but deregulate and tax cuts and no mention of the Bidens came up the 2 years with tramp, WHY?

I swear, you people are either born liars, or have a mental problem of seeing things that were never printed, and hearing things that were never said.
RAY write this down so you won't forget WE HAVE IT NAILED,,,,,,, IN TRUMPS OWN WORDS asking for a favor from a foreign leader....
A FAVOR-not a quid pro quo or extortion. I have said "do me a favor" a thousand times, should I be impeached?
A FAVOR-not a quid pro quo or extortion. I have said "do me a favor" a thousand times, should I be impeached?
Did you infer you would withhold desperately needed military aid if you did not get your favor?

Whistleblower complaint, annotated

"In the course of my official duties, I have received information from multiple U.S. Government officials that the President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election.

"This interference includes, among other things, pressuring a foreign country to investigate one of the President’s main domestic political rivals.

"The President’s personal lawyer, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani, is a central figure in this effort. Attorney General Barr appears to be involved as well.

"'I have received information' is different than witnessing information.

"The whistleblower appears to be reporting second-hand information.

"That might not matter since it is thoroughly documented, and as the White House transcript of Trump’s Ukraine phone call shows, what the whistleblower alleged, at least on that front, was true.

"This raises questions that the whistleblower doesn’t address in the complaint, but which Congress could investigate: Were these other officials concerned? And if the interference described below is only one kind of solicitation — “among other things” — what else did Trump try to do?"
If you are talking about inferring and implying the case is over. His complaint would seem mild compared to my complaint about George Bush and his WMD war. We have to stick to ACTUAL statements.
If you are talking about inferring and implying the case is over. His complaint would seem mild compared to my complaint about George Bush and his WMD war. We have to stick to ACTUAL statements.
Is this an accurate source for ACTUAL statements made during the Trump-Zelensky conversation?

Trump's Ukraine phone call, annotated

"CAUTION: A Memorandum of a Telephone Conversation (TELCON) is not a verbatim transcript of a discussion.

"The text in this document records the notes and recollections of Situation Room Duty Officers and NSC policy staff assigned to listen and memorialize the conversation in written form as the conversation takes place.

"A number of factors can affect the accuracy of the record, including poor telecommunications connections and variations in accent and/or interpretation. The word 'inaudible' is used to indicate portions of a conversation that the notetaker was unable to hear.

"Reminder from the Situation Room notetakers: What we’re seeing here are detailed notes and not, strictly speaking, a word-for-word transcript."
So when he said "do me a favor" the bad connection blocked him saying "do it or else". Really?

You had control the two chambers for 4 years and the last 2 with tramp you guys didn't nothing but deregulate and tax cuts and no mention of the Bidens came up the 2 years with tramp, WHY?
Because you're just not very bright. That's why.

RAY write this down so you won't forget WE HAVE IT NAILED,,,,,,, IN TRUMPS OWN WORDS asking for a favor from a foreign leader....
Did you infer you would withhold desperately needed military aid if you did not get your favor?

Whistleblower complaint, annotated

"In the course of my official duties, I have received information from multiple U.S. Government officials that the President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election.

"This interference includes, among other things, pressuring a foreign country to investigate one of the President’s main domestic political rivals.

"The President’s personal lawyer, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani, is a central figure in this effort. Attorney General Barr appears to be involved as well.

"'I have received information' is different than witnessing information.

"The whistleblower appears to be reporting second-hand information.

"That might not matter since it is thoroughly documented, and as the White House transcript of Trump’s Ukraine phone call shows, what the whistleblower alleged, at least on that front, was true.

"This raises questions that the whistleblower doesn’t address in the complaint, but which Congress could investigate: Were these other officials concerned? And if the interference described below is only one kind of solicitation — “among other things” — what else did Trump try to do?"
Is this an accurate source for ACTUAL statements made during the Trump-Zelensky conversation?

Trump's Ukraine phone call, annotated

"CAUTION: A Memorandum of a Telephone Conversation (TELCON) is not a verbatim transcript of a discussion.

"The text in this document records the notes and recollections of Situation Room Duty Officers and NSC policy staff assigned to listen and memorialize the conversation in written form as the conversation takes place.

"A number of factors can affect the accuracy of the record, including poor telecommunications connections and variations in accent and/or interpretation. The word 'inaudible' is used to indicate portions of a conversation that the notetaker was unable to hear.

"Reminder from the Situation Room notetakers: What we’re seeing here are detailed notes and not, strictly speaking, a word-for-word transcript."
So when he said "do me a favor" the bad connection blocked him saying "do it or else". Really?
So when he said "do me a favor" the bad connect
When the mob boss says "I need a favor"
trump_putin-122216.jpg

"or else" is optional.

Russia, NATO, Trump: The Shadow World

Forum List

Back