Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ‘Buy American’ Bill

the state of texas vs. science and education

Saw this on the 'net...

intel_design_440.jpg

Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

Hey liar.

How about posting the bill and not just the title?

If you are about buying American, then you support ALL American companies.

Right?

Wal*mart is an American company.

Hey stupid.

What does Walmart manufacture?

Walmart essentially captures MANY american companies to be it's supplier.. The Grocery side of the operation is virtually ENTIRELY American and is the basis for the scaled-down urban stores. Walmart solved the prescription drug cost problem for Millions of Americans with mostly American made product..

I discovered after a dinner with friends that Walmart sells some of the best bread in town. True high-quality stuff. And those baking companies serve Walmart regionally providing plenty of American jobs.

They have attempted MANY TIMES to push American goods. They have a new program launching a "Made Here" brand name for linens and towels.

http://business.time.com/2013/04/12/how-walmart-plans-to-bring-back-made-in-america/

Better watch out -- you MIGHT have to GO to Walmart to support your moral values.. If you stopped being a parrot and did better research -- you'd know it..

Yeah it's 10% or what they sell.. But IMHO, we shouldn't be focusing our manufacturing on tee shirts and basketballs. If we want to be an economic leader -- we better start making NEW INNOVATIVE products and doing the hard stuff.

Because no amount of spewing the F word is gonna bring back the 70s......

Last edited:
Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

If I have to write a couple pages of justification for buying a Samsung monitor or spend 1/2 a day trying to find an 'merikan model --- it's not worth it. Beside, in terms of CONTENT of that item --- it's useless. Maybe one American spent 4 minutes reboxing the crap and they claim American content.

It's bureaucrat bungling at it's finest.. If they want to buy American that badly, San Francisco bridges wouldn't be made in CHina..

I'll stick with the previous poster. He vetoed it because it hinders govt business and adds cost. And in a year or two, the bureaucratic RULES for implementing this "well-intentioned" patriotic salute would bring Texas purchasing to its knees. He's got a state to promote and even THO -- he's a spoon in the knife drawer -- somehow --- he's whooping Blue Ass doing it.. Tells ya something about the competence of the Blue Asses dont it?

Have you ever been involved in a government procurement process? I ask because the ‘bring TX to its knees’ comment is rather absurd. The reality is that the process and the preference system is already in place. The only thing that this would do is reorder those ‘preferred’ vendors. That is about it. Then you think that the purchase of a single TV would be minor but, again, we are talking governmental purchases which generally number in thousands of items not just one. Such purchases are capable of making or breaking a small company. It would be far better to have a minor manufacturer (paying taxes and the like) producing those TV’s or even a small part in that production in TX rather than China. It just makes sense. Lastly, such preference does not equate to a major price change as that preference is not a mandate. If you locate a vendor that has a better price you can justify that purchase rather than going through the preferred vendor (as long as there are no contractual problems with existing deals).

Matter of fact -- I've been a vendor to GSA and other procurement agencies.. They move at a SNAIL PACE. Adopting a new vendor comes only when the VENDOR initiates the processs largely and the approved list is missing some of the most innovative and economical choices.

MINOR vendors can't afford the process. Even certified SBAs must seek outside help...

If it's based solely on price and PRICE let's you off the hook --- what the hell good is it to "minor vendors"??? Just try to justify superior customer service as a reason to pay more for some govt item.. Or make the bureaucracy understand that obsolence might be an issue with a cheaper product...

It's a major drag on getting ANYTHING done right and efficiently....

It's your side that doesn't realize how the world has changed and what we should do about it.. You sit there DEMANDING that we reset the clock to the 60s and 70s when America had it's "Imperial economic" hold on the world..

Ironic aint' it that BACK THEN - you bleeding heart Re-distributionists were arguing that it AINT FAIR that America has only 20% of the world's population, yet controls 60% of the world wealth. Or that it AINT FAIR that America only has 20% of the population, yet it uses 45% of the world's energy.. GUESS WHAT Candy? Your revolution suceeded. THIS is "fairness" and redistribution.. Chinese now have a middle class, wages are rising, you've re-sliced the "pie".. You should be thrilled -- lefty hypocrite...

Unfortunately -- y'all are similiarily naive about how to preserve American labor and living standards.. All YOU GUYS are doing here is going back to when dealing in CHina meant sailing the ship off the edge of the ocean.... Perfect picture dude/dudette... I think you for that one in your previous post... And now the snarky labor back a hundred one.. Boy, you sure DO want to live in that world -- don'tcha.

We have NO BUSINESS telling other countries how much to pay their workers. That would be economic imperialism wouldn't it? We can't even decide that HERE among ourselves...

Matter of fact -- I've been a vendor to GSA and other procurement agencies.. They move at a SNAIL PACE. Adopting a new vendor comes only when the VENDOR initiates the processs largely and the approved list is missing some of the most innovative and economical choices.

MINOR vendors can't afford the process. Even certified SBAs must seek outside help...

If it's based solely on price and PRICE let's you off the hook --- what the hell good is it to "minor vendors"??? Just try to justify superior customer service as a reason to pay more for some govt item.. Or make the bureaucracy understand that obsolence might be an issue with a cheaper product...

So you have been on the other side. Good.

What you are talking about is completely unaffected by such a bill. The pace and cost of the GSA system or whatever TX want to use is not going to change in any form accept what amounts to preferred vendors. I will admit that I would like the system to be far more efficient (not to mention it really should not cost the vendor anything as you want people to compete for your business, not shun it) BUT there is no harm in changing to what this bill supposes.

You claimed that it would bring TX to its knees in cost and inefficiency. That is simply not true on either count. It would likely cause NOTHING as far as efficiency from the current system. I have not heard a good reason as to why this bill was quashed.

It's your side that doesn't realize how the world has changed and what we should do about it.. You sit there DEMANDING that we reset the clock to the 60s and 70s when America had it's "Imperial economic" hold on the world..

Ironic aint' it that BACK THEN - you bleeding heart Re-distributionists were arguing that it AINT FAIR that America has only 20% of the world's population, yet controls 60% of the world wealth. Or that it AINT FAIR that America only has 20% of the population, yet it uses 45% of the world's energy.. GUESS WHAT Candy? Your revolution suceeded. THIS is "fairness" and redistribution.. Chinese now have a middle class, wages are rising, you've re-sliced the "pie".. You should be thrilled -- lefty hypocrite...

Unfortunately -- y'all are similiarily naive about how to preserve American labor and living standards.. All YOU GUYS are doing here is going back to when dealing in CHina meant sailing the ship off the edge of the ocean.... Perfect picture dude/dudette... I think you for that one in your previous post... And now the snarky labor back a hundred one.. Boy, you sure DO want to live in that world -- don'tcha.

We have NO BUSINESS telling other countries how much to pay their workers. That would be economic imperialism wouldn't it? We can't even decide that HERE among ourselves...

The picture was from a fire in New York City.

So you have been on the other side. Good.

What you are talking about is completely unaffected by such a bill. The pace and cost of the GSA system or whatever TX want to use is not going to change in any form accept what amounts to preferred vendors. I will admit that I would like the system to be far more efficient (not to mention it really should not cost the vendor anything as you want people to compete for your business, not shun it) BUT there is no harm in changing to what this bill supposes.

You claimed that it would bring TX to its knees in cost and inefficiency. That is simply not true on either count. It would likely cause NOTHING as far as efficiency from the current system. I have not heard a good reason as to why this bill was quashed.

OK -- we didn't all laugh and panic at the antics of GSA purchasing.. If you're on THAT SIDE -- I'll spare the boxing match..

About Texas... The "GOOD REASON" -- is that "adding the word manufactured" is a vague and useless attempt. The DEFINITION of manufactured is a good 50 to 100 pages of stuff that will drivel in later as it's INTERPRETED by the bureaucracy.. See my post a couple pages back..

It does NOTHING to create or fund or invent NEW businesses. Which is what has to happen and probably what Perrry is focused on.. A company in Texas is NOT gonna be created to manufacture goods just for the State of Texas. Not likely...

A contract with WALMART tho --- is enough to get a venture capital check for $MILLs.

Last edited:

Yes I know that. A hundred years ago.. The period of time when YOUR side wants to go BACK TO in terms of international trade.. I'm patient --- what else don't you understand about the hypocrisy of your position?

The IRS spent about a million dollars of taxpayer money for a convention and the souvenirs they bought weren't even made in the USA. They were made in China.

OK -- we didn't all laugh and panic at the antics of GSA purchasing.. If you're on THAT SIDE -- I'll spare the boxing match..
LOL. WHY? I love a good boxing match but yes, I have been on THAT SIDE.
About Texas... The "GOOD REASON" -- is that "adding the word manufactured" is a vague and useless attempt. The DEFINITION of manufactured is a good 50 to 100 pages of stuff that will drivel in later as it's INTERPRETED by the bureaucracy.. See my post a couple pages back..
And I challenge that tbh. I don’t think you have ever implemented something like this but I can almost guarantee that it will not result in a hundred pages of anything. It would have simply re-aligned the preferred vendors for the individual agencies as they made purchases. Each agency interprets that law as it sees fit within whatever regulatory agency that is already there overseeing that (which is likely non TBH, that is none of the reasons that spending is so out of control – no one actually watches it) I think that you are reading into this WAY too much. It is a simple change and the bureaucracy is already there. The process already there. The regulators already there. In essence, EVERYTHING that makes this process inefficient is already there. You add no inefficiency with this change. IF you really want to make big changes, you would have to get rid of that system but barring that, we are left with improving what we have and I think this was better than what it was before.
It does NOTHING to create or fund or invent NEW businesses. Which is what has to happen and probably what Perrry is focused on.. A company in Texas is NOT gonna be created to manufacture goods just for the State of Texas. Not likely...

A contract with WALMART tho --- is enough to get a venture capital check for $MILLs.
But an existing one certainly would grow to meet new demands of the government had it been given the chance or the offer.

Yes I know that.
I doubt you did.

A hundred years ago.. The period of time when YOUR side wants to go BACK TO in terms of international trade.. I'm patient --- what else don't you understand about the hypocrisy of your position?

Some morons on the left feel that way; true. What you're purposely obfuscating about my position (mine...) is that I would really like it if we gave workers some rights while they're on the job, that those rights would be actively investigated when brought to the attention of the government, that those responsible for infringement would be held accountable, and that, yes, some protections for the jobs would be afforded except in the face of actual extraordinary circumstances.

It's more than those who died in the fire.

LOL. WHY? I love a good boxing match but yes, I have been on THAT SIDE.
And I challenge that tbh. I don’t think you have ever implemented something like this but I can almost guarantee that it will not result in a hundred pages of anything. It would have simply re-aligned the preferred vendors for the individual agencies as they made purchases. Each agency interprets that law as it sees fit within whatever regulatory agency that is already there overseeing that (which is likely non TBH, that is none of the reasons that spending is so out of control – no one actually watches it) I think that you are reading into this WAY too much. It is a simple change and the bureaucracy is already there. The process already there. The regulators already there. In essence, EVERYTHING that makes this process inefficient is already there. You add no inefficiency with this change. IF you really want to make big changes, you would have to get rid of that system but barring that, we are left with improving what we have and I think this was better than what it was before.

But an existing one certainly would grow to meet new demands of the government had it been given the chance or the offer.

Even tho Perry must have a remotely wired brain, because he's a real dolt.. He IS focused on what I'm focused on and that is REMOLDING economic opportunity in America to fit a Global Marketplace.. That means big bold moves in education and redirecting capital to advanced technologies that the rest of the world doesn't have yet..

I get the feeling that the folks who are upset about this are in the same race I am in except they are at the starting line arguing about where it was put.. And I am trying to compete for the lead by TRAINING and ENCOURAGING competitive behaviour.. Perry GETS that part where we DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL besides whining about the past..

That and they are mostly feeling driven partisians.. ------- :razz:

Last edited:
This is the guy who many of the Neo-Cons on here wanted to see become POTUS.

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.

The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.

This is the guy who many on here consider a REAL CONSERVATIVE.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ?Buy American? Bill
That link appears to not be working but here is a good one with that same story.

Rick Perry Vetoes "Buy American" Bill Approved 145-0 by Texas House - Forward Progressives

This is the guy who many of the Neo-Cons on here wanted to see become POTUS.

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.

The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.

This is the guy who many on here consider a REAL CONSERVATIVE.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ?Buy American? Bill
That link appears to not be working but here is a good one with that same story.

Rick Perry Vetoes "Buy American" Bill Approved 145-0 by Texas House - Forward Progressives

Perry Vetoes "Buy American" Bill | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
He vetoed because the bill is redundant. Texas law already requires state agencies to purchase Texas made products.
So you're saying that the Republican-led Texas House and Senate did not know that and actually spent time crafting that bill and pushing it through all the time knowing it wasn't going anywhere with their Republican governor? Well, that figures. After all, we're dealing with Conservatives here. When would they ever get it right?

What a waste of time and money for this stupid bill. and what a bunch of shallow people.

First Clinton gives us NAFTA and now all you Clinton lovers sit around wailing over some dumb bill in Texas.

Forum List

Back