Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ‘Buy American’ Bill

Key part of the article

like Texas ARL-CIO President Becky Moeller

hmmmmmmm...which is really AFL-CIO......even more interesting......

I used to be a huge buy American fan, until I found out it was just a code word for supporting unions. Fuck them, I hate, hate unions.

This is just a sham to prop up unions, they cant compete and it's their own fault, sucks to be you!!!

It's funny how liberals dont worry about China buying up all of our debt though.....naaaaaaaah, we need all those bs goverment programs.

they can't compete because we have laws in this country about paying people slave wages, forcing them to work in unsafe sweatshops and about not allowing children to work.

What the hell makes any of you think this is a UNION bill? Just because a union leader comes out in support of it? So what?

This is a bill that gives preferences to goods made 1) in Texas and 2) in America as long as it is of the same quality and cost of foreign made goods. (By the way. Japan and China have unions too.)

And when only 6% of the American private workforce is unionized (most likely less in Texas) it's highly unlikely that it will hardly benefit any union members.

So the bottom line is that you morons want to shoot yourselves in the foot and continue to despise American workers.

Bottom line? You think ALL American workers suck and I think they're the best in the world, union or not.

Anti union white trash scum are the American equivalent of concentration camp Jews who worked hand in glove with Germans to speed up camp processes. They didn't ask questions and they accepted the words of their masters at face value. THOUSANDS still living get the same respect as those who had a harder time in the camps because... it was okay.

White trash nutballs are today reduced to that level by the oppressors of labor. White trash will cooperate with anyone who tells them what they want to hear in hopes it won't get worse for them personally. And among them... that is okay.

Rant and rave all you want but this isn't about unions. Nice try, though. :cool:

This is the guy who many of the Neo-Cons on here wanted to see become POTUS.

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.

The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.

This is the guy who many on here consider a REAL CONSERVATIVE.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ?Buy American? Bill

Is the biker left outraged that Perry vetoed the bill or are they outraged that right wingers aren't outraged?

Perry was right to veto the bill, it was just another attempt to force people to buy overpriced goods so union members can continue to make excessive salaries for doing jobs you could train a monkey to do.

Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

From what I see it would open up state agencies to possible lawsuits if some union shop didn't like their purchasing decisions. I support Perry's decision.

Once again this is not about unions no matter how hard you try and make it that way. And I would expect my state to give preferential treatment to "in-state" vendors. That only makes good economic sense. If Texas wants to buy all their stuff from another state then no problem. Or they can keep their own citizens working.

Your choice.

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.
The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.

How short your memory is:

It's called "buy American." It would require that any manufactured goods used in public works projects connected with the stimulus money must come from American suppliers.

That proposal has triggered an uproar from a number of America's trading partners and from some business groups.

Yesterday, President Obama weighed in, saying he thought the "buy American" provision does not belong in any stimulus bill. Here's what he told ABC's Charlie Gibson.

U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: I think that would be a mistake right now. That is a -- that is a potential source of trade wars that we can't afford at a time when trade is sinking all across the globe

'Buy American' Clause in Stimulus Sparks Controversy | Online NewsHour | February 4, 2009 | PBS

Is the biker left outraged that Perry vetoed the bill or are they outraged that right wingers aren't outraged?

Had you bothered to read the OP it's that you Neo-Cons almost made him your nominee in the last POTUS election. How ignorant was that?

It's called "buy American." It would require that any manufactured goods used in public works projects connected with the stimulus money must come from American suppliers.

That proposal has triggered an uproar from a number of America's trading partners and from some business groups.

Yesterday, President Obama weighed in, saying he thought the "buy American" provision does not belong in any stimulus bill. Here's what he told ABC's Charlie Gibson.

U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: I think that would be a mistake right now. That is a -- that is a potential source of trade wars that we can't afford at a time when trade is sinking all across the globe

'Buy American' Clause in Stimulus Sparks Controversy | Online NewsHour | February 4, 2009 | PBS

Nope, no loss of memory. It was wrong when Obama did it and it was wrong when Perry did it. Pretty consistent.

Nope, no loss of memory. It was wrong when Obama did it and it was wrong when Perry did it. Pretty consistent.

Fair enough.

For my own consistency's sake... I like Perry. I still think he would have made a far better candidate than Romney. I'll read the story and get back to you with my thoughts.

Last edited:
Perry was right to veto the bill, it was just another attempt to force people to buy overpriced goods so union members can continue to make excessive salaries for doing jobs you could train a monkey to do.

Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

If I have to write a couple pages of justification for buying a Samsung monitor or spend 1/2 a day trying to find an 'merikan model --- it's not worth it. Beside, in terms of CONTENT of that item --- it's useless. Maybe one American spent 4 minutes reboxing the crap and they claim American content.

It's bureaucrat bungling at it's finest.. If they want to buy American that badly, San Francisco bridges wouldn't be made in CHina..

I'll stick with the previous poster. He vetoed it because it hinders govt business and adds cost. And in a year or two, the bureaucratic RULES for implementing this "well-intentioned" patriotic salute would bring Texas purchasing to its knees. He's got a state to promote and even THO -- he's a spoon in the knife drawer -- somehow --- he's whooping Blue Ass doing it.. Tells ya something about the competence of the Blue Asses dont it?

You guys should try less blubbering about all stuff made abroad -- and more time worrying about doing stuff that the rest of the world isn't.. Like getting our kids into the science and technology jobs that we are ALSO IMPORTING into this country.. THAT'S where the FUTURE American content has to be. Not in tennis shoes..

Moron.

From what I see it would open up state agencies to possible lawsuits if some union shop didn't like their purchasing decisions. I support Perry's decision.

Once again this is not about unions no matter how hard you try and make it that way. And I would expect my state to give preferential treatment to "in-state" vendors. That only makes good economic sense. If Texas wants to buy all their stuff from another state then no problem. Or they can keep their own citizens working.

Your choice.

I guess you missed the part of the article that says TX already gives preference to in state businesses. Your arguement in the light of that rings very hollow. You're just trying to bash republicans you seem to fear.

Your choice.

I guess you missed the part of the article that says TX already gives preference to in state businesses. Your arguement in the light of that rings very hollow. You're just trying to bash republicans you seem to fear.

And had you read through the thread (or even read the link) you would have seen this.....

From the OP link......

Despite Rick Perry’s explanation, the Buy American bill wasn’t exactly like current legislation. Rather, HB 535 would have added “manufactured” to the list of requirements for agencies giving preferences to Texan and US goods. The bill defined it as “with respect to a manufactured good, an item produced as a result of a manufacturing process that alters the form of the components, including articles, materials, or supplies, that are directly incorporated into the item …” would gain preference as well.

If you're truly from Texas I'm surprised you didn't know this???

Moron.

If I have to write a couple pages of justification for buying a Samsung monitor or spend 1/2 a day trying to find an 'merikan model --- it's not worth it. Beside, in terms of CONTENT of that item --- it's useless. Maybe one American spent 4 minutes reboxing the crap and they claim American content.

It's bureaucrat bungling at it's finest.. If they want to buy American that badly, San Francisco bridges wouldn't be made in CHina..

I'll stick with the previous poster. He vetoed it because it hinders govt business and adds cost. And in a year or two, the bureaucratic RULES for implementing this "well-intentioned" patriotic salute would bring Texas purchasing to its knees. He's got a state to promote and even THO -- he's a spoon in the knife drawer -- somehow --- he's whooping Blue Ass doing it.. Tells ya something about the competence of the Blue Asses dont it?

Just adding the word "manufactured" to current legislation will bring Texas purchasing to its knees??? :eek:

Wow, that state is worse off than we all thought.

Your choice.

And had you read through the thread (or even read the link) you would have seen this.....

From the OP link......

Despite Rick Perry’s explanation, the Buy American bill wasn’t exactly like current legislation. Rather, HB 535 would have added “manufactured” to the list of requirements for agencies giving preferences to Texan and US goods. The bill defined it as “with respect to a manufactured good, an item produced as a result of a manufacturing process that alters the form of the components, including articles, materials, or supplies, that are directly incorporated into the item …” would gain preference as well.

If you're truly from Texas I'm surprised you didn't know this???

Semantics, the last bastion of a loser. Good job. You still have yet of explain how this bill would not open the state to unnecessary litigation, based on purchasing decisions. Also the legislature had the option to override the veto had they chosen to.

Last edited:
What the hell makes any of you think this is a UNION bill? Just because a union leader comes out in support of it? So what?

This is a bill that gives preferences to goods made 1) in Texas and 2) in America as long as it is of the same quality and cost of foreign made goods. (By the way. Japan and China have unions too.)

And when only 6% of the American private workforce is unionized (most likely less in Texas) it's highly unlikely that it will hardly benefit any union members.

So the bottom line is that you morons want to shoot yourselves in the foot and continue to despise American workers.

Bottom line? You think ALL American workers suck and I think they're the best in the world, union or not.

Anti union white trash scum are the American equivalent of concentration camp Jews who worked hand in glove with Germans to speed up camp processes. They didn't ask questions and they accepted the words of their masters at face value. THOUSANDS still living get the same respect as those who had a harder time in the camps because... it was okay.

White trash nutballs are today reduced to that level by the oppressors of labor. White trash will cooperate with anyone who tells them what they want to hear in hopes it won't get worse for them personally. And among them... that is okay.

Rant and rave all you want but this isn't about unions. Nice try, though. :cool:

When you post that to the fucking moron who suggested buying American was "code" for supporting unions get back to me. Until then mind your own business.

Thanks!:eusa_angel:

This was an easy one.

It is already the law.

Texas Government Code - Section 2155.444. Preference To Texas And United States Products And Texas Services. - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

Almost verbatim what was vetoed.

§ 2155.444. PREFERENCE TO TEXAS AND UNITED STATES PRODUCTS AND TEXAS SERVICES.. (a) The commission and all state agencies making purchases of goods, including agricultural products, shall give preference to those produced or grown in this state or offered by Texas bidders as follows: (1) goods produced in this state or offered by Texas bidders shall equally be given preference if the cost to the state and quality are equal; and (2) agricultural products grown in this state shall be given first preference and agricultural products offered by Texas bidders shall be given second preference, if the cost to the state and quality are equal. (b) If goods, including agricultural products, produced or grown in this state or offered by Texas bidders are not equal in cost and quality to other products, then goods, including agricultural products, produced or grown in other states of the United States shall be given preference over foreign products if the cost to the state and quality are equal. (c) In this section: (1) "Agricultural products" includes textiles and other similar products. (2) "Texas bidder" means a business: (A) incorporated in this state; (B) that has its principal place of business in this state; or (C) that has an established physical presence in this state. (d) The commission and all state agencies making purchase of vegetation for landscaping purposes, including plants, shall give preference to Texas vegetation native to the region if the cost to the state is not greater and the quality is not inferior. (e) The commission and all state agencies procuring services shall give preference to services offered by a Texas bidder if: (1) the services meet state requirements regarding the service to be performed and expected quality; and (2) the cost of the service does not exceed the cost of other similar services of similar expected quality that are not offered by a Texas bidder.​

Forum List

Back