Government School Nightmare Watch: 2,400 NC Elementary School Teachers Flunk Math Exams...

Dschrute3

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2016
It really is time for parents to consider all other education alternatives for their children. Government-schooling is failing. And it's only gonna get worse.

A quick warning on the article: The teachers attempt to blame the test, rather than take responsibility. Pretty much sums up how far Government-schooling has fallen.

Almost 2,400 North Carolina elementary school teachers have failed the math portion of their licensing exams, which puts their careers in jeopardy, since the state hired Pearson publishing company to give the exam in 2013, according to a report presented to the state Board of Education Wednesday.

Failure rates have spiked as schools around the state struggle to find teachers for the youngest children. Education officials are now echoing what frustrated teachers have been saying: The problem may lie with the exams rather than the educators.

The Board of Education, which last month granted beginning teachers an extra year to pass, plans to review the Pearson exams to see if the tests are actually measuring skills needed to teach elementary students effectively, or whether they’re gauging math that’s generally taught in higher grades.

Read more here: Hundreds of NC teachers are flunking math exams. It may not be their fault.

It really is time for parents to consider all other education alternatives for their children. Government-schooling is failing. And it's only gonna get worse.

A quick warning on the article: The teachers attempt to blame the test, rather than take responsibility. Pretty much sums up how far Government-schooling has fallen.

Almost 2,400 North Carolina elementary school teachers have failed the math portion of their licensing exams, which puts their careers in jeopardy, since the state hired Pearson publishing company to give the exam in 2013, according to a report presented to the state Board of Education Wednesday.

Failure rates have spiked as schools around the state struggle to find teachers for the youngest children. Education officials are now echoing what frustrated teachers have been saying: The problem may lie with the exams rather than the educators.

The Board of Education, which last month granted beginning teachers an extra year to pass, plans to review the Pearson exams to see if the tests are actually measuring skills needed to teach elementary students effectively, or whether they’re gauging math that’s generally taught in higher grades.

Read more here: Hundreds of NC teachers are flunking math exams. It may not be their fault.

Who could have guessed Ratt predicted this when they sang Round and Round. Idiocracy incoming.

Who could have guessed Ratt predicted this when they sang Round and Round. Idiocracy incoming.

Yeah, blaming the test really does say it all about the dismal state of Government-schooling. Are these the kinds of people we want 'teaching' our kids?

Yeah, blaming the test really does say it all about the dismal state of Government-schooling. Are these the kinds of people we want 'teaching' our kids?

No. Higher competency in a given academic discipline is essential, in my opinion, to understanding the process of effectively teaching at any level of instruction.

Did it occur to you folks that it might actually be the test since at least 2 other states are having the same problem?

No. Higher competency in a given academic discipline is essential, in my opinion, to understanding the process of effectively teaching at any level of instruction.

It really does say it all. They're aggressively attacking the test, rather than taking responsibility. That's not what we should be teaching kids. These people don't belong in a classroom.

It really does say it all. They're aggressively attacking the test, rather than taking responsibility. They don't belong teaching kids.

Very reminiscent of military language instructor responsibility. If the instructors proficiency level is intermediate, how can he or she effectively, mission critically, teach even the most basic proficiency level student, when effective communication saves lives on the hoof? Same with mathematics. Some day these kids will need to find True Position as quality engineers in some manufacturing environment. What happens after they skim through GD&T quality dimension checks because they lack the fundamentals to reason out each different schematic? So what? So a plane drops out of the sky.

I doubt the issue is public schools. It's more of a 'North Carolina' issue.

No question that teachers in the North East Public schools would pass easily.

Perhaps less bible studies and more STEM in NC colleges would help.

Well if they can't pass, they'll just blame the test. These people don't belong in a classroom. That's not what we should be teaching our kids.

It really does say it all. They're aggressively attacking the test, rather than taking responsibility. That's not what we should be teaching kids. These people don't belong in a classroom.

I tried this tactic when I was in school. Never worked for me.

Bible studies make people flunk math tests? Who knew!!

My wife’s cousin is an elementary school teacher; her cousin is the dumbest pos in the solar system.

Jez - When I was in school I wish I could've challenged the test whenever I got a bad grade!

I tried this tactic when I was in school. Never worked for me.

Ha, i hear ya. These people can't be allowed to teach. Period, end of story.

Arithmetic has been declared 'racist', anyway; story on that is out there somewhere on Bing. I've already read it so don't need to waste my time again.

Time to tear down statues to mathematicians and their racist legacy in America.

Arithmetic has been declared 'racist', anyway; story on that is out there somewhere on Bing. I've already read it so don't need to waste my time again.

For real, or sarcasm? Can't tell sometimes on the interwebs.

How Does Race Affect a Student's Math Education?

They're blaming it on the "whiteness" of math teachers in this article. What flapdoodle.

"Lately, much of the discussion of race in math education has centered on the persistent underperformance of certain student groups, particularly black, Latino, and indigenous youth, and their disparate access to honors, gifted, and advanced mathematics courses. Yet a new paper disrupts those narratives by examining an unaddressed element of the equation—namely, the ways in which “whiteness” in math education reproduces racial advantages for white students and disadvantages historically marginalized students of color."

"Dan Battey, an associate math professor at the Rutgers University Graduate School of Education, said he set out to synthesize for math educators the research literature from sociology, history, and other disciplines on whiteness—defined in the paper as “the ideology that maintains white supremacy, valuing one racial group over others.” He also sought to expose how whiteness operates in classrooms and schools, leaving black, Latino, and indigenous students disenfranchised mathematically."

How Does Race Affect a Student's Math Education?

They're blaming it on the "whiteness" of math teachers in this article. What flapdoodle.

"Lately, much of the discussion of race in math education has centered on the persistent underperformance of certain student groups, particularly black, Latino, and indigenous youth, and their disparate access to honors, gifted, and advanced mathematics courses. Yet a new paper disrupts those narratives by examining an unaddressed element of the equation—namely, the ways in which “whiteness” in math education reproduces racial advantages for white students and disadvantages historically marginalized students of color."

"Dan Battey, an associate math professor at the Rutgers University Graduate School of Education, said he set out to synthesize for math educators the research literature from sociology, history, and other disciplines on whiteness—defined in the paper as “the ideology that maintains white supremacy, valuing one racial group over others.” He also sought to expose how whiteness operates in classrooms and schools, leaving black, Latino, and indigenous students disenfranchised mathematically."

Just more proof these people shouldn't be in a classroom.

Forum List

Back