Gun gangs in Britain becoming more ruthless? They have gun gangs...but, they banned guns?

They never banned guns
True

What are Britain’s gun crime and murder rates?
In comparison with whom? England 20 years ago? Pretty GD high.
Then post it
Nope, I'm wrong.
Ref. Table 5
Appendix tables: homicide in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics
Overall homicides spike this year but the spike was due to an incident in Hillsborough which resulted in the death of 86 due to asphyxiation. Not sure what that's about.

Gun murder didn't change, well...it spiked for 10 years after the ban and confiscation and didn't go below the number once they hired and deployed more police...
Hmmm...let me dig, you may have a point. I didn't hit it from that angle.

They never banned guns
True

What are Britain’s gun crime and murder rates?
In comparison with whom? England 20 years ago? Pretty GD high.
Then post it
Nope, I'm wrong.
Ref. Table 5
Appendix tables: homicide in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics
Overall homicides spike this year but the spike was due to an incident in Hillsborough which resulted in the death of 86 due to asphyxiation. Not sure what that's about.

Gun murder didn't change, well...it spiked for 10 years after the ban and confiscation and didn't go below the number once they hired and deployed more police...
Hmmm...let me dig, you may have a point. I didn't hit it from that angle.

You can find the numbers....

This is just after the ban and confiscation...

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade | Daily Mail Online

The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year - a rise of 89 per cent.

The number of people injured or killed by guns, excluding air weapons, has increased from 864 in 1998/99 to a provisional figure of 1,760 in 2008/09, an increase of 104 per cent .

Sort of off topic but threads about guns are rare here. Question: Is it true that to buy a shotgun you don't need to have it registered? No background check either?

"Historically, the number of homicides increased from around 300 per year in the early 1960s to over 800 per year in the early years of this century, which was at a faster rate than population growth over the same period. However, to the year ending March 2015, the volume of homicides has generally decreased while the population of England and Wales has continued to grow.

Figure 1 shows that in the latest two years, the number of homicides has begun to increase, but the homicide rate for the year ending March 2017 was still 20% lower than 10 years ago (13.2 homicides per million population compared with 10.5 homicides per million population – excluding Hillsborough)."
rate-eng.PNG

"Compared with other offences, homicides are relatively low-volume and year-on-year variations need to be interpreted with some caution. However, a statistical analysis of trends2 shows the number of homicide incidents recorded in the year ending March 2017 was not statistically significantly different at the 95% level compared with the previous year, but was significantly higher compared with the year ending March 2015"

Homicide in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics

Though there was a significant spike after weapon legislation, the past decade has shown a gradual decrease toward mid 1970's levels with an uptick over the past two years. As I stated previously this bump (refer to previously cited Excel) can be attributed to the Hillsborough incident.
However, I am wrong because I clearly stated when compared to rates 20 years ago.
This is just not the case. Your argument may be different.

"Historically, the number of homicides increased from around 300 per year in the early 1960s to over 800 per year in the early years of this century, which was at a faster rate than population growth over the same period. However, to the year ending March 2015, the volume of homicides has generally decreased while the population of England and Wales has continued to grow.

Figure 1 shows that in the latest two years, the number of homicides has begun to increase, but the homicide rate for the year ending March 2017 was still 20% lower than 10 years ago (13.2 homicides per million population compared with 10.5 homicides per million population – excluding Hillsborough)."
View attachment 185953
"Compared with other offences, homicides are relatively low-volume and year-on-year variations need to be interpreted with some caution. However, a statistical analysis of trends2 shows the number of homicide incidents recorded in the year ending March 2017 was not statistically significantly different at the 95% level compared with the previous year, but was significantly higher compared with the year ending March 2015"

Though there was a significant spike after weapon legislation, the past decade has shown a gradual decrease toward mid 1970's levels with an uptick over the past two years. As I stated previously this bump (refer to previously cited Excel) can be attributed to the Hillsborough incident.
However, I am wrong because I clearly stated when compared to rates 20 years ago.

The British gun crime rate has continued to go up......their gun murder rates weren't high before they banned or confiscated guns...but their criminals are becoming more likely to shoot each other......they are cutting their police numbers, they are cutting their police resources, they are tying the hands of their police with politically correct policies, and as I posted the other day, they are releasing violent criminals back onto their streets without supervision.......

They are sitting on a wave of crime .....

View attachment 185953

The British gun crime rate has continued to go up......their gun murder rates weren't high before they banned or confiscated guns...but their criminals are becoming more likely to shoot each other......they are cutting their police numbers, they are cutting their police resources, they are tying the hands of their police with politically correct policies, and as I posted the other day, they are releasing violent criminals back onto their streets without supervision.......

They are sitting on a wave of crime .....
I do not doubt that their demographic trends are leading to higher crime rates. dependent upon the crime there has been a spike particularly in London. there is data that shows a jump in crime rates for certain crimes in the city...including weapons rates. This has become evident over the past couple years as crime rates have climbed.

"The crime figures show an underlying 8% rise in the murder rate, an increase of 46 victims, with 629 homicides recorded in the 12 months to June, excluding the 35 people killed in the London and Manchester terrorist attacks, and the 96 Hillsborough deaths in 1989, which were included in the headline figures."
Police data shows crime rising at increasing rate in England and Wales

Knife crimes are up as well, however the overall trend (10yr avg) is showing an decrease. However, I dont think that this uptick is just a temporary bump.

Forum List

Back