Gun owner paranoia---

Our homicide rate is 4x higher than countries with strong gun control. They also don’t have lots of accidental deaths. These countries are clearly safer. The gun lobby has lied to you.
We don't have lots of accidental gun deaths.

in 2018 there were 450 accidental deaths involving a firearm and I'll bet that some of those were suicides.

And the murder rate where I live has been ZERO for the last 20 years so unlike you I'm not afraid of getting murdered.
How many in Germany? UK?

Don't care about Germany or the UK

Why do you?
I want fewer deaths. Life is valuable.

Might have to do with me being a middle class white guy.

more to do with never having left mommies loin

BTW, I have seen this behavior more in "Trump country" than in inner cities or your sheltered little suburbs.

You know it is funny, you really do know nothing that I do. I am both street wise and a country boy. I know life in this country much more fully than do you. (plus, I attended a prep school so I know your neighborhoods too)

I'm a gun owner. Got a bunch of 'em downstairs in the safe. Got my first gun at 11yrs old. Bought it with my chore money. Used to be a member of the NRA. Until they went stupid.

I think American gun-culture is stupid and crazy.
I've long advocated that when a tool of such potential destructive/disruptive potential is brought into our civil society then what comes with it is ----- strict liability.

If there is ANY harm to humans or property after that weapon is fired then the OWNER of the gun bears a significant liability. NOT just the jackass who fired it ....... but also the owner of record.

That means if your Glock is stolen from underneath the seat of your Ford-150 and it is used to shoot somebody's cheatin' wife.....well, the shooter gets arrested and tried, and the owner of the gun gets a whopper of a fine.

It was his gun. He brought it into our society. He failed to secure it adequately. Ergo......he has a share of the responsibility.

THEN.......you would see a more serious, responsible, cautious approach to owning those things.

IMHO
If someone steals that same truck and drives into a crowd of people, should the owner of the truck be punished?

How about if they have some baseball gear in the truck, and someone steals one of the bats and beats someone to death with it, should the owner be punished for that?

The issue with your suggestion is that it is legal in some states to have a firearm in your vehicle. If someone breaks in to your vehicle and finds your gun and then commits a crime with it, the owner of the truck is no more responsible than they would be with the other two scenarios.

It’s hard to shoot someone if you can’t get a gun. People rarely shot in the UK...
It is impossible to defend yourself or your property from the criminal who pays no attention to laws and gun bans without having a gun protected by the Constitutional right to own one.
It’s easier to defend against an unarmed criminal.

You do understand that there are more ways to be armed than with a gun don't you?

And why would anyone want to give a criminal the advantage? A guy with a baseball bat can kill you too .
How many mass bat killings we have? Can run away from somebody with a bat. Gun makes anyone a killer. 70 year old with a gun far more dangerous than 70 year old with a bat...
MAss killings account for less than 1% of all murders.

Did you know that more people get killed with baseball bats every year than with AR 15s?
You said that and ignored my points. No valid counter eh?
Your point was about mass shootings I did address that.

Less than 1% of all murder occurs in mass shootings.

Less than 2% of all murders are committed with rifles of any kind

in 2018 297 people were murdered with rifles, 1515 were murdered with knives, 672 with no weapon at all, and 443 with blunt objects.

So if you want to classify a weapon by how many times it is used to murder someone then a person's bare hands are more deadly than any rifle.

It’s hard to shoot someone if you can’t get a gun. People rarely shot in the UK...
It is impossible to defend yourself or your property from the criminal who pays no attention to laws and gun bans without having a gun protected by the Constitutional right to own one.

You do understand that there are more ways to be armed than with a gun don't you?

And why would anyone want to give a criminal the advantage? A guy with a baseball bat can kill you too .
How many mass bat killings we have? Can run away from somebody with a bat. Gun makes anyone a killer. 70 year old with a gun far more dangerous than 70 year old with a bat...

Did you know that more people get killed with baseball bats every year than with AR 15s?

in 2018 297 people were murdered with rifles, 1515 were murdered with knives, 672 with no weapon at all, and 443 with blunt objects.

So if you want to classify a weapon by how many times it is used to murder someone then a person's bare hands are more deadly than any rifle.
Compare the worst mass bare hands killing to the worst mass killing with a gun.

Our homicide rate is 4x higher than countries with strong gun control. They also don’t have lots of accidental deaths. These countries are clearly safer. The gun lobby has lied to you.

in 2018 there were 450 accidental deaths involving a firearm and I'll bet that some of those were suicides.

And the murder rate where I live has been ZERO for the last 20 years so unlike you I'm not afraid of getting murdered.
How many in Germany? UK?

Why do you?

No it really isn't. And I think my dog's life is more valuable than yours.

There's 7 billion people on this rock that makes life pretty common.

How many in Germany? UK?

Why do you?

That explains your gun worship.

So you think it's somehow worse to get killed the same time as a few other people do than it is to be killed any other time?

Dead is dead. And if you are really worried about reducing the murder rate then mass shootings would be low on the list.

The Moon Bats get all bent out shape when there is a school shooting.

However, a child is more than 40 times likely to die in an accident to or from a school than from a school shooting.

We have lots of guns because we have lots of scared and paranoid men. There is no question we have lots more death because of it.

How many in Germany? UK?

Why do you?

I don't worship guns.

Just like I don't worship any other tool I own.

It's you people who assign all these magical qualities to guns not me

So you think it's somehow worse to get killed the same time as a few other people do than it is to be killed any other time?

Dead is dead. And if you are really worried about reducing the murder rate then mass shootings would be low on the list.
If every killer was a mass killer the homicide rate would sure go up.

We have lots of guns because we have lots of scared and paranoid men. There is no question we have lots more death because of it.
And scared paranoid gun control freaks want to ban guns even though there is virtually no chance you will ever get murdered by a person with a gun

How many in Germany? UK?

Why do you?

I don't worship guns.

Being able to kill lots of people quickly isn’t exactly magical.

And scared paranoid gun control freaks want to ban guns even though there is virtually no chance you will ever get murdered by a person with a gun
Lots of people are. Far more than in other countries.

But every killer is not a mass killer so your argument is meaningless.

I'm a gun owner. Got a bunch of 'em downstairs in the safe. Got my first gun at 11yrs old. Bought it with my chore money. Used to be a member of the NRA. Until they went stupid.

I think American gun-culture is stupid and crazy.
I've long advocated that when a tool of such potential destructive/disruptive potential is brought into our civil society then what comes with it is ----- strict liability.

If there is ANY harm to humans or property after that weapon is fired then the OWNER of the gun bears a significant liability. NOT just the jackass who fired it ....... but also the owner of record.

That means if your Glock is stolen from underneath the seat of your Ford-150 and it is used to shoot somebody's cheatin' wife.....well, the shooter gets arrested and tried, and the owner of the gun gets a whopper of a fine.

It was his gun. He brought it into our society. He failed to secure it adequately. Ergo......he has a share of the responsibility.

THEN.......you would see a more serious, responsible, cautious approach to owning those things.

IMHO
and if someone steals your car, and drives it into a crowd, you're partially responsible for any deaths and damages it causes?

Sure, if you leave it with the keys in it and maybe running while left unattended. There is no keys for a gun and it's always running. For those that don't show "Reasonable" security then they are as guilty as the person that pulled the trigger. I saw a young in a quick stop who had a gun on her hip. She was tossing her hip in that direction knowing (or unknowingly) to broadcast she was carrying an open carry. I can just see the bad guy now who decides to mug here. "Hey, jake, look a free gun and a free piece of ass".
Thats a dangerous way of thinking about it because you are going down a path that anything in your life that is not "properly secured" could lead you to legal problems.

Loan your buddy a hammer and he kills someone with it, you are on the hook. Leave your garage door open while working in the back yard and someone steals a hatchet and kills someone else with it you are on the hook.

Leave your car parked on the driveway, even though locked, its not in the garage and therefore not "secured", and someone breaks in and steals a knife and kills someone with it, you're on the hook.

Look, I agree that you should always secure your belongings, especially firearms, but trying to make a case for legal damages on behalf of the owner simply because he left his truck running while he ran into the store to grab some coffee, and someone steals his truck....that can open a can of worms that could potentially make EVERYONE a criminal.

Hard to be a mass killer if using just your hands.

How many in Germany? UK?

Why do you?

I don't worship guns.

Being able to kill lots of people quickly isn’t exactly magical.

You don't need a gun to kill lots of people quickly.

Hard to be a mass killer if using just your hands.

So what?

Even if you could magically stop mass killings the murder rate wouldn't change so once again I'll tell you that mass shootings aren't the problem as less than 1% of all murders occur in mass shootings.

Forum List

Back