Gun research being kept in the dark ages

I note that CA and MD have much worse rates, despite having at least as restrictive gun laws.
Perhaps gun laws have no effect on crime at all?

While I agree with the OP that there is achronic lack of OBJECTIVE US-based research on this topic (and far too much research funded by both sides that only sets out to prove pre-determined talking points) one reason that there is not more research is because everyone knows the answers.

Every single poster on this board knows full well that the homicide rate in the US is catastrophic, and that guns play an enormous role in that.

Likewise, every poster knows that keeping a gun at home increases the risk of someone in that home dying.

These are simple, known facts. Proving them 20 more times will help to get the message through, but I do understand that many researchers feel that it is a bit like researching weather rain causes flooding.

That's a fake "Conspiracy Theory" story. New York has tough Gun Laws and therefore no Gun Violence.

New York State gun murders per 100,000 2.7

Alabama 2.8
Arizona 3.6
Arkansas 3.2
California 3.4
Delaware 4.2
DC 16.5
Georgia 3.8
Florida 3.9
Louisiana 7.7
Maryland 5.1
Michigan 4.2
Mississippi 4.0
Missouri 5.4
Nevada 3.1
New Jersey 2.8
New Mexico 3.3
North Carolina 3.0
Oklahoma 3.0
Pennsylvania 3.6
South Carolina 4.5
Texas 3.2
Virginia 3.1
Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the population is in the metro areas, and most of the gun crimes are there. Those areas have the strictest gun control laws and ordinances also. It shows that legal gun ownership is not the problem, and that's apparent here in Illinois where we have Chicago and the rest of the state.

Oh my, what do we have here? Another loony bin, leftroid, whack job, constitution hating bull shit thread about firearms... SHOCKER!

A_qIfdRCYAE7BVM_zpse246e157.jpg

Well.....evidently that would be item B on the right. According to research recently concluded at Harvard University, April 2013, the evidence is definitive >>>>

more guns = less crimes

"Many people believe that owning guns only increases the amount of crime. However, a recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally. In other words, the more guns the less crime. The study showed that nations with strict gun control laws have substantially higher murder rates than those who do not. In fact, the 9 European nations with the lowest gun ownership rate have a combined murder rate that is three times that of the nine European nations with the highest gun ownership rate."

Does Owning Guns Reduce Crime?

Gun grabber losing:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::fu:

Limpwristed emotional hysterical people always try to make our lives more dangerous.....make no mistake. The PC whores........incredible levels of gay.

Last edited:
While I agree with the OP that there is achronic lack of OBJECTIVE US-based research on this topic (and far too much research funded by both sides that only sets out to prove pre-determined talking points) one reason that there is not more research is because everyone knows the answers.

Every single poster on this board knows full well that the homicide rate in the US is catastrophic, and that guns play an enormous role in that.

Likewise, every poster knows that keeping a gun at home increases the risk of someone in that home dying.

These are simple, known facts. Proving them 20 more times will help to get the message through, but I do understand that many researchers feel that it is a bit like researching weather rain causes flooding.

Except it isn't catastrophic. Strip out homicide among black males between 15 and 25 and our homicide rate looks like Germany's.
Again you repeat the canard about increasing risk. It is nonsense. Those of us who own guns and have owned them for over a quarter century have never experienced this "increased risk".

32,000 gun deaths a year in the US. Soon, the number of gun deaths will exceed that of deaths by auto accident.

By 2015 more people will be killed by guns than by traffic accidents, according to a startling chart compiled by Bloomberg Government's Alex Tribou.

Motor vehicle deaths have declined 22 percent since 2005 while gun fatalities — including homicide, suicide and accidents — have steadily risen from a low point in 2000.

The decline of traffic accident fatalities — which coincides with deliberate moves to cut back on drunk driving, increase seatbelt use and enforce car safety standards — and the increase in gun fatalities will lead to a massive change in 2015.

At the current rates, gun deaths should hit around 33,000 annually in 2015 while traffic fatalities should decrease to around 32,000, according to Bloomberg estimates.

Read more: Report: Gun Deaths Will Exceed Traffic Deaths By 2015 - Business Insider

notice how people on the far left present data in irrelevant context!!! It resonates with the hopelessly duped who are ruled by their emotions. Typical goofball scare mongering that fails to present the actual data on how fucking dangerous society becomes when you ban guns = your ass is grass.

When REAL data is presented though, the gun grabber hysterics are pwned!!!:2up:

Civilized societies with more guns = less crime!!! 100% certainty!!!:eusa_dance::D:eusa_dance:

Harvard University.......April 2013.......research concludes >>>>>

Many people believe that owning guns only increases the amount of crime. However, a recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally. In other words, the more guns the less crime. The study showed that nations with strict gun control laws have substantially higher murder rates than those who do not. In fact, the 9 European nations with the lowest gun ownership rate have a combined murder rate that is three times that of the nine European nations with the highest gun ownership rate.

Does Owning Guns Reduce Crime?

To the gun grabber nutters, all you can say is..............

Rabbi -

As far as I know, black males can be Americans as well.

Every one of them, dunce.
So what? The reason it isnt a crisis is that affects a very small segment of society. A segment of society that is somewhat responsible for its own values and situation. Not counting gov't interference of course.

32,000 gun deaths a year in the US. Soon, the number of gun deaths will exceed that of deaths by auto accident.

By 2015 more people will be killed by guns than by traffic accidents, according to a startling chart compiled by Bloomberg Government's Alex Tribou.

Motor vehicle deaths have declined 22 percent since 2005 while gun fatalities — including homicide, suicide and accidents — have steadily risen from a low point in 2000.

The decline of traffic accident fatalities — which coincides with deliberate moves to cut back on drunk driving, increase seatbelt use and enforce car safety standards — and the increase in gun fatalities will lead to a massive change in 2015.

At the current rates, gun deaths should hit around 33,000 annually in 2015 while traffic fatalities should decrease to around 32,000, according to Bloomberg estimates.

Read more: Report: Gun Deaths Will Exceed Traffic Deaths By 2015 - Business Insider

I noticed you used a precise % for the decrease in auto fatalities but used the more vauge term "steadily" to describe the increase in gun violence, where steadily could mean 1/2% a year.

Nice weaseling.

Also, why should improved vehicle safety result in me being denied my 2nd amendment rights?

Police kill armed 14-year-old boy on NYC street

There's a link to an opposing pov at the above link.

So what do you think? Do want to know facts or should we just believe the nutters who say more guns is the answer to everything?

Feel free to fund private research luddly if you don't like the research that is being undertaken.

Here are the facts.

Fact one, there are more guns.

Fact two, the is significantly more guns carried daily by private individuals.

Fact three, homicides, crime and violent crime are at or near historical lows.

What more do you want to know?

That people kill themselves with guns?

People kill themselves with guns...now you know.

They also kill themselves with rope, Tylenol, pain killers, poison, carbon monoxide and jumping from bridges.

Just in case you were next going to advocate taxpayer funded research into the effect of building skyscrappers on leaping suicides, they do that too.

An unsurprising lack of real facts here.

Or, did you just forget to include the link?

I have no problem with the nutters posting OPINIONS but don't try to pass it off as FACT.

Thanks.

Those are FACTS !
They are not opinions.
Try looking it up and do your own research before you call facts opinions.

Every person on this board knows something that isn't true?

Just to give you something to work on in order to prove how smart you are, why don't you pull apart the US intentional homicide statistics to tell us how many of those are justifiable homicides. ASAIK, the US is the only country that includes self defense and officer involved shootings that are 100% justifiable in the statistics.

Last edited:

Guns are just tools, in the hands of people, bad things can happen.

Guns are commonplace in the world's safest country, Iceland. Finland looks like a slaughterhouse compared to it.

Now people like you can only say dishonest things like" a gun at home increases the risk of some in that home dying." You say this because you MUST include sucicide data in your pathetic studies to have any hope of justifing your anti-gun agenda. People like you can't say that having a gun in the home leads to higher violent crime. You must mislead people by including suicides. If someone is going to use a gun, so what? Would you rather them use another means? Tell me what they are? Why are suicides over twice as high in places like Japan where there are virtually no guns? This automatically disproves your theory that having a gun in house causes more suicides.

The plain facts are that crime is lower in Northern Western Europe than it is in most every other part of the world. Violent crime is very low in Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein and most of the rural West in America---yet all these places are flooded with guns.

The crime problem in America, as it is even in Nordic nations, is always focused in areas with enclaves of Blacks and Browns (large cities). The rapes in Sweeden mostly occur around urban areas with African immigrants.

If you want less crime in your country, ban bad immigrants, not guns.

Guns are just tools, in the hands of people, bad things can happen.

Guns are commonplace in the world's safest country, Iceland. Finland looks like a slaughterhouse compared to it.

Now people like you can only say dishonest things like" a gun at home increases the risk of some in that home dying." You say this because you MUST include sucicide data in your pathetic studies to have any hope of justifing your anti-gun agenda. People like you can't say that having a gun in the home leads to higher violent crime. You must mislead people by including suicides. If someone is going to use a gun, so what? Would you rather them use another means? Tell me what they are? Why are suicides over twice as high in places like Japan where there are virtually no guns? This automatically disproves your theory that having a gun in house causes more suicides.

The plain facts are that crime is lower in Northern Western Europe than it is in most every other part of the world. Violent crime is very low in Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein and most of the rural West in America---yet all these places are flooded with guns.

The crime problem in America, as it is even in Nordic nations, is always focused in areas with enclaves of Blacks and Browns (large cities). The rapes in Sweeden mostly occur around urban areas with African immigrants.

If you want less crime in your country, ban bad immigrants, not guns.

I agree that cities are the problem, but not race.

Just as you used Japan to prove your point, I'll use Alabama to prove mine.

The white population of many Alabama counties is well below 50%.

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/contemporarymaps/alabama/demographics/Percent white 2010.jpg

We'll take Bullock County as an example...only because it came first alphabetically...

Population 11,000 +/-

Demographics 70% Black, 23% White, 7% Hispanic...the remainder other.

Bullock County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crime in 2005 :​

• Murders: 0
  • Rapes: 3
  • Robberies: 3
  • Assaults: 30
  • Burglaries: 61
  • Thefts: 54
  • Auto thefts: 0

Crime in 2004 :​

• Murders: 0
  • Rapes: 1
  • Robberies: 1
  • Assaults: 21
  • Burglaries: 39
  • Thefts: 28
  • Auto thefts: 0

A word on cities being a HUGE underlying factor in firearm violence and firearm homicides.

From the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine

In general, homicide gun deaths in the United States are more of an urban than a rural problem. "Half of all homicides occurred in 63 cities with 16% of the nation's population; within those cities, homicides were largely clustered in certain neighborhoods."[7]

For example, in Milwaukee, two inner-city zip codes, 53204 and 53215, have homicide rates of 89.1 per 100,000 and 38.8 per 100,000, respectively, compared with a homicide rate of 10.5 per 100,000 for the state in general.[16]​

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/405837

Forum List

Back