Gun research being kept in the dark ages

Wut happened to Nerdly...I gave 'em links and poof, he was gone.

Dudley is one of those people who start threads and ask a question......and never come back....the reason?....questions he cant or wont answer are being asked.....my question is..... why do these asswipes like him start threads and ask questions when they know they are not going to follow up.....whats the point?....he wont answer that either.....he just starts sniveling if you ask him .....i tried.....

Guns are commonplace in the world's safest country, Iceland. Finland looks like a slaughterhouse compared to it.

Of course Finland looks like a slaughterhouse - we have FAR more guns:

Finland 45.7 guns per 100,000

Iceland 30.3 guns per 100,000

The result is:

Finland 3.64 gun-related homicides per 100,000

Iceland 1.57 gun-related homicides per 100,000

We can also see:

Finland 2.2 total homicide rate

Iceland 0.3 total homicide rate

What Finland does not have is immigrants -and yet we have some of the worst gun violence stats on earth.

Your theory makes absolutely no sense at all, does it?

Last edited:
Now people like you can only say dishonest things like" a gun at home increases the risk of some in that home dying." You say this because you MUST include sucicide data in your pathetic studies to have any hope of justifing your anti-gun agenda.

No, the study I am referring to does NOT include suicide data.

Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4).

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

Now people like you can only say dishonest things like" a gun at home increases the risk of some in that home dying." You say this because you MUST include sucicide data in your pathetic studies to have any hope of justifing your anti-gun agenda.

Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4).

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

I see you like posting idiotic studies like they prove something.

Have you asked yourself why a gun in the home would increase the chances of dying from non gun related violence? Is there some sort of magic field surrounding guns that causes violence? Is it possible that they carry a virus?

Or, using common sense, which you obviously lack, perhaps the study is faulty.

I see you like posting idiotic studies like they prove something.

Have you asked yourself why a gun in the home would increase the chances of dying from non gun related violence? Is there some sort of magic field surrounding guns that causes violence? Is it possible that they carry a virus?

Or, using common sense, which you obviously lack, perhaps the study is faulty.

Of course it is faulty. Strip out homes with felons in them and the rate drops to nothing.

Rabbi, QW -

Would you guys mind sticking to facts and research, rather than just trumpet theories that have no basis in reality?

If you wish to fault a peer-reviewed and published study - explain why and present sources to back your case.

Rabbi, QW -

Would you guys mind sticking to facts and research, rather than just trumpet theories that have no basis in reality?

If you wish to fault a peer-reviewed and published study - explain why and present sources to back your case.

Fuck you.
The problems with such "studies" are well known and documented. You're just too partisan to go look for yourself.

Rabbi -

I'll come back to this when you come up with something coherent , on-topic and backed up by facts.

In other words, this thread is probably history.

Police kill armed 14-year-old boy on NYC street

There's a link to an opposing pov at the above link.

So what do you think? Do want to know facts or should we just believe the nutters who say more guns is the answer to everything?

Feel free to fund private research luddly if you don't like the research that is being undertaken.

Here are the facts.

Fact one, there are more guns.

Fact two, the is significantly more guns carried daily by private individuals.

Fact three, homicides, crime and violent crime are at or near historical lows.

What more do you want to know?

That people kill themselves with guns?

People kill themselves with guns...now you know.

They also kill themselves with rope, Tylenol, pain killers, poison, carbon monoxide and jumping from bridges.

Just in case you were next going to advocate taxpayer funded research into the effect of building skyscrappers on leaping suicides, they do that too.

An unsurprising lack of real facts here.

Or, did you just forget to include the link?

I have no problem with the nutters posting OPINIONS but don't try to pass it off as FACT.

Thanks.

He gave you facts dumbass. It IS a fact that gun ownership is at an all time high in this nation. It IS a fact that in most jurisdictions where gun ownership and carry laws are the laxest are seeing a serious drop in violent crime. It IS a fact that Concealed Carry laws are becoming more prevalent in this nation. It IS a fact that people kill themselves with firearms. It IS a fact that people kill themselves by hanging themselves with rope, over dosing on Tylenol and pain killers, ingesting poison, carbon monoxide poisoning and jumping from bridges and tall buildings. Seems like this poster is the ONLY one between you two that is stating facts. Nothing funnier than a anti-gun nut liberal offering liberal propaganda and liberal opinions as "facts", and then whining and sticking their heads back up their asses when their bs is rebutted with actual facts.

That's a fake "Conspiracy Theory" story. New York has tough Gun Laws and therefore no Gun Violence.

New York State gun murders per 100,000 2.7

Alabama 2.8
Arizona 3.6
Arkansas 3.2
California 3.4
Delaware 4.2
DC 16.5
Georgia 3.8
Florida 3.9
Louisiana 7.7
Maryland 5.1
Michigan 4.2
Mississippi 4.0
Missouri 5.4
Nevada 3.1
New Jersey 2.8
New Mexico 3.3
North Carolina 3.0
Oklahoma 3.0
Pennsylvania 3.6
South Carolina 4.5
Texas 3.2
Virginia 3.1
Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your own link shows New York as being #4 in total Gun Murders. Ooops!

Brady Campaign Score? Niggah please!

and look at DC who has tough gun laws. they lead the pack by a large margin

Harvard University study......April 2013.......

"Many people believe that owning guns only increases the amount of crime. However, a recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally. In other words, the more guns the less crime. The study showed that nations with strict gun control laws have substantially higher murder rates than those who do not. In fact, the 9 European nations with the lowest gun ownership rate have a combined murder rate that is three times that of the nine European nations with the highest gun ownership rate"

Does Owning Guns Reduce Crime?

MORE GUNS = LESS CRIME

Last edited:
Skook's source:

Lindsey Christiansen

Stephanie McNaught is a writer for Fusion 360, an advertising agency in Utah that provides SEO and content marketing for Fort Knox.

Skook's source:

Lindsey Christiansen

Stephanie McNaught is a writer for Fusion 360, an advertising agency in Utah that provides SEO and content marketing for Fort Knox.

You're a dunce. You prove it every post. People bring evidence after evidence and you simply dismiss it or ignore it.

Guns are commonplace in the world's safest country, Iceland. Finland looks like a slaughterhouse compared to it.

Of course Finland looks like a slaughterhouse - we have FAR more guns:

Finland 45.7 guns per 100,000

Iceland 30.3 guns per 100,000

The result is:

Finland 3.64 gun-related homicides per 100,000

Iceland 1.57 gun-related homicides per 100,000

We can also see:

Finland 2.2 total homicide rate

Iceland 0.3 total homicide rate

What Finland does not have is immigrants -and yet we have some of the worst gun violence stats on earth.

Your theory makes absolutely no sense at all, does it?

Thank you for taking the time to review my points. I'm afriad your data "cuts your own throat" on guns and crime. If more guns = more crime, as you suggest, then Finland should have only 15% more gun related homocides as Iceland, not over twice as many as the data shows. Is there some formula I am missing that shows having just 15% more guns causing 100% more crime?

Now, let's look at a place in the Wild West of America, the state of Wyoming.

Despite its low population, Wyoming has the highest rate of gun ownership in the United States. Estimates suggest anywhere from 57.9 to 62.8 percent of households in Wyoming possess at least one gun, putting the Cowboy State ahead of states like Alaska, Montana and Idaho.

Yet despite being awash in guns, Wyoming’s gun homicide rate is extremely low.

According to FBI crime statistics, in 2010 there were only eight murders in the state, five of which were committed with guns. That works out to fewer than one gun murder per 100,000 people.

By comparison, in California, a state where only about 21 percent of households own guns, 1,257 people were murdered with firearms in 2010, a rate of 3.4 gun homicides per 100,000 people.

In other words, while Wyoming may have more guns per person than anywhere else, citizens aren’t using them on one another. Cheyenne Police Chief Brian Kozak acknowledged that fact, pointing out that it may be due in part to Wyoming’s rural character and general lack of the large urban areas where poverty and guns frequently form a deadly mix.
Guns: A way of life in Wyoming - Wyoming Tribune Eagle Online

Wyoming blows Finland away in number of guns per household, yet has a gun homocide rate 3 times lower. How can this be?

I couldn't find any good demographic crime data that wasn't in the incomprehensible Finnish language---but maybe you can see some crime patterns from Somali immigrants and others:
http://www.optula.om.fi/Satellite?b...tion&ssbinary=true&blobheader=application/pdf

Survivalist -

Perhaps start by acknowledging some of your errors, and then we can move on.

Firstly, do you acknowledge that:

- Iceland has less guns and less homicides than Finland?

- gun ownership correlates with both total homicide rate AND gun-related homicide rate in this case?

I think the figures are fairly clear here - I don't see the point in pretending otherwise.

btw. I don't think any of us on any side of this debate really think 15% more guns in society means 15% more homicides. What we are looking for are patterns and trends that take place often over several years. The idea that Finland 50% more guns than Iceland but double the number of homicides does not negate my case - it proves it.

Last edited:
Police kill armed 14-year-old boy on NYC street

Give citizens and lawmakers information to make smart decisions....

In the 1980s and 1990s, researchers studied what happens when people buy guns to protect themselves and their families. You might think they'd be safer, but studies concluded it's actually far more likely that a gun kept in the home would be involved in a suicide, a domestic homicide or an accidental shooting than to shoot an intruder.

Those findings predictably enraged gun groups such as the NRA, which responded by attacking the research and the researchers. Since 1996, under the influence of gun groups, Congress has essentially shut down government-funded research about guns, taking away money from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention division that funded firearms studies and forbidding any government-funded investigation that would "advocate or promote gun control." The result: Much of the policy debate over guns has taken place in an information vacuum. It's time to start filling that void.

There's a link to an opposing pov at the above link.

So what do you think? Do want to know facts or should we just believe the nutters who say more guns is the answer to everything?

actually the anti gun nutters have done a great job of keeping the benefits of guns in the dark. who knew guns were used over a million times a year to prevent a crime or personal attack. kind of dwarfs the number of times they are used aggressively.

Survivalist -

Perhaps start by acknowledging some of your errors, and then we can move on.

Firstly, do you acknowledge that:

- Iceland has less guns and less homicides than Finland?

- gun ownership correlates with both total homicide rate AND gun-related homicide rate in this case?

I think the figures are fairly clear here - I don't see the point in pretending otherwise.

btw. I don't think any of us on any side of this debate really think 15% more guns in society means 15% more homicides. What we are looking for are patterns and trends that take place often over several years. The idea that Finland 50% more guns than Iceland but double the number of homicides does not negate my case - it proves it.

how about you start acknowledging some facts. no country that has eneacted tough gun laws to outright gun bans has reduced their rate of gun violence by a greater percentage then the USA has by overturining it's assault weapons ban.

Forum List

Back