Gun Rights Amendment upheld...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
JEFFERSON CITY • The Missouri Supreme Court has upheld a constitutional amendment approved by voters in August that bolsters gun rights.

In February, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson presented his case against the amendment, alleging the ballot summary presented to voters was misleading and failed to explain the amendment, making it an irregular election.

The summary presented to voters said “that the right to keep and bear arms is an unalienable right and that the state government is obligated to uphold that right.”

The court disagreed and held the election results valid.

Gun rights amendment upheld by Missouri Supreme Court News

-------------------------

So the question is...why bother challenging an Amendment that opponents claimed was redundant and simply a restating of the U.S. Second Amendment? The answer is "Strict Scrutiny".

Strict scrutiny is the most exacting level of judicial review employed by the courts. For a gun control law to survive strict scrutiny, the state must prove that it has a compelling interest that both justifies and necessitates the regulation in question. Among lawyers, strict scrutiny is frequently characterized as "strict in theory, fatal in fact." Lawmakers receive no deference from the courts under this approach.
This is anathema to gun control activists...attempting to prove the worth of their proposed "feel good" laws. "By requiring strict scrutiny in their constitutional provision, the people of Missouri have ensured that Missouri courts will give gun-control measures the most intensive review available and require the state to meet the highest possible threshold in justifying firearm regulation." (link)

Been awaiting this decision for almost a year. Finally, Missouri officially joins the list of states with the highest level of Constitutional Second Amendment protection. :eusa_clap:

Missouri

good deal. More guns more ammo, more CCW folks and faster draws, faster repeat hits, with more destructive loads always improves things.

I don't agree with any of that. If I die without ever aiming a firearm at another human being, I'll die happy. All I want is the ability to defend myself against those who wish to do harm to me and mine...wherever we may happen to be.

Forum List

Back