🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Halloween in America: Masked Democracy

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
America is the land of multi-cultural traffic, and Halloween is the annual festival of self-disguise.

When children of all ethnic backgrounds dress up in costumes for Halloween Eve, we forget the divisions of race and color and think about the unifying qualities of imagination, playspaces, and daydreams.

When you see a child in a mask on Halloween, there's now way to tell what the child's race/ethnicity is, and that is one part of the real magic of Halloween in America.

However, there is a dark side to Halloween in America: complacency. Sure, go ahead and buy your kid a mask and costume set from your local Target super-store and simply *pretend* that your kid's imagination will overcome the serious socio-political need to address the gaping holes in education that make race-relations a socially *uncomfortable* issue even in our modern age of high-tech wireless networking (i.e., Facebook).

So it all depends on what side of the proverbial *mask* you are studying.

Keep the optimism/faith, but think about where complacency can crash.

For Halloween 2016, I think I will dress up as Speedy Gonzales.

h3.jpg

America is the land of multi-cultural traffic, and Halloween is the annual festival of self-disguise.

When children of all ethnic backgrounds dress up in costumes for Halloween Eve, we forget the divisions of race and color and think about the unifying qualities of imagination, playspaces, and daydreams.

When you see a child in a mask on Halloween, there's now way to tell what the child's race/ethnicity is, and that is one part of the real magic of Halloween in America.

However, there is a dark side to Halloween in America: complacency. Sure, go ahead and buy your kid a mask and costume set from your local Target super-store and simply *pretend* that your kid's imagination will overcome the serious socio-political need to address the gaping holes in education that make race-relations a socially *uncomfortable* issue even in our modern age of high-tech wireless networking (i.e., Facebook).

So it all depends on what side of the proverbial *mask* you are studying.

Keep the optimism/faith, but think about where complacency can crash.

For Halloween 2016, I think I will dress up as Speedy Gonzales.

View attachment 66236

No I'm sorry, Halloween is too scary :eek-52: :crybaby::eek-52: :scared1:

Forum List

Back