Happy Birthday, Jefferson Davis

Thanks for the reply.

I'm no historian, but I'm almost certain that the the South wouldn’t have seceded from the Union if the Northern states were pro-slavery, and didn’t present a threat to their “right” to work millions of Africans to their deaths on their plantations. I can care less if Lincoln was a racist, or whether or not he had ulterior motives for freeing the slaves; what instead is relevant to me is that he supported the abolition of slavery, plain and simple.

I don’t know about you, but I simply can’t support the South in any way when their #1 REASON or leaving the United States was because they wanted to uphold the institution of slavery. Obviously, I can see why it'd be harder for southerners to let go of this disgusting practice, but I don't think they're deserving of any sort of special sympathy. It's slavery, and it's wrong.

Where do you find justification for supporting the Southern cause?

Pretty much everything you said there is politically correct, but historically incorrect.

The troubles between North and South were over tariffs, not slavery. By 1860, the South was funding 85-87% of the Federal government's total revenue through tariffs that were increasing their cost of living. Almost 9 out of 10 Southerners owned no slaves at all.

American agriculture was booming in the mid-1850's as Southern farms were feeding Europe during the Crimean War. That boom slowed dowed down when the war ended in '56. In 1857, the Ohio Life Insurance and Trust Company had to close its New York office because of embezzlement, which almost caused a run on the banks. That, the economic slowdown, and the Dred Scott Decision caused an economic depression, the Panic of 1857.

Strangely enough, Congress actually did the right thing that year and lowered the tariff rates, and the economy stabilized and began to recover in two years. Just as the economy was beginning to recover, Congressman Justin Morrill of Vermont proposed the Morrill Tariff, threatening to raise the tariff rates through the roof with the Southern states bearing the brunt of it..

Lincoln campaigned in 1860 in favor of the Morrill Tariff. That was why he did not appear on the ballots in any of the Southern states, not slavery. After his election and before his inauguration, he gave a speech in Philadelphia promising to sign the tariff bill if Congress passed it. They did pass it and President James Buchanan signed it into law as one of his final acts.

Contrary to popular belief, Lincoln was not an abolitionist. He did not consider himself one, nor did the abolitionists consider him an abolitionist. Read his First Inaugural Address.

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them...

Eyeah..this old chestnut.

No..the troubles between the North and the South were very much about slavery. Aside from the moral implications of the practice, there were numerous slave revolts and the courts were being larded with indefensible cases about the rights of slaves.

Initially Lincoln hadn't thought blacks equal to whites, but thought the institution of slavery was wrong. He had no taste to go to war over it either. That changed..along Lincoln's other opinion, that if the American Blacks were liberated, they would be sent back to Africa.

Lincoln never changed his mind regarding colonization. He supported it to his dying day.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Colonization-After-Emancipation-Movement-Resettlement/dp/0826219098/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338995988&sr=8-1[/ame]

The troubles between North and South were over tariffs, not slavery. [...]

Lincoln campaigned in 1860 in favor of the Morrill Tariff. That was why he did not appear on the ballots in any of the Southern states, not slavery. After his election and before his inauguration, he gave a speech in Philadelphia promising to sign the tariff bill if Congress passed it. They did pass it and President James Buchanan signed it into law as one of his final acts.

Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union:

The Constitution of the United States, in its fourth Article, provides as follows: "No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due."

This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made. The greater number of the contracting parties held slaves, and they had previously evinced their estimate of the value of such a stipulation by making it a condition in the Ordinance for the government of the territory ceded by Virginia, which now composes the States north of the Ohio River.

The same article of the Constitution stipulates also for rendition by the several States of fugitives from justice from the other States.

The General Government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations of the States. For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. The State of New Jersey, at an early day, passed a law in conformity with her constitutional obligation; but the current of anti-slavery feeling has led her more recently to enact laws which render inoperative the remedies provided by her own law and by the laws of Congress. In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals; and the States of Ohio and Iowa have refused to surrender to justice fugitives charged with murder, and with inciting servile insurrection in the State of Virginia. Thus the constituted compact has been deliberately broken and disregarded by the non-slaveholding States, and the consequence follows that South Carolina is released from her obligation.

The ends for which the Constitution was framed are declared by itself to be "to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity."

These ends it endeavored to accomplish by a Federal Government, in which each State was recognized as an equal, and had separate control over its own institutions. The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.

We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

For twenty-five years this agitation has been steadily increasing, until it has now secured to its aid the power of the common Government. Observing the forms of the Constitution, a sectional party has found within that Article establishing the Executive Department, the means of subverting the Constitution itself. A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.

This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.

On the 4th day of March next, this party will take possession of the Government. It has announced that the South shall be excluded from the common territory, that the judicial tribunals shall be made sectional, and that a war must be waged against slavery until it shall cease throughout the United States.

The guaranties of the Constitution will then no longer exist; the equal rights of the States will be lost. The slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy.

Sectional interest and animosity will deepen the irritation, and all hope of remedy is rendered vain, by the fact that public opinion at the North has invested a great political error with the sanction of more erroneous religious belief.

We, therefore, the People of South Carolina, by our delegates in Convention assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, have solemnly declared that the Union heretofore existing between this State and the other States of North America, is dissolved, and that the State of South Carolina has resumed her position among the nations of the world, as a separate and independent State; with full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent States may of right do.

Damn revisionist 1860 South Carolinians! Toeing the progressive line again that slavery was their motivation.

Of course many states, such as Virginia, only seceded after Lincoln imposed his blockade on southern ports.

The civil war started in my home state (Kansas) ten years before the confederacy shelled Fort Sumner. I am a student of history (albeit amateur) and this period is so incredibly interesting to me. I've traveled to as many battle sites as possible and if a new book comes out on the subject, I usually have it.

The troubles started over slavery and the civil war was defined by the issue of slavery. Eventually, during the course of the war, I believe that the south realized that to be considered a nation by Europeans (something it would need to even have a chance to survive), it would have to abolish slavery as well. However, the trouble began when the Kansas territory was declared free and this just absolutely was a tipping point for those in Missouri and the south that wanted it to be a slave state. Lawrence was burned and thousands died in a cross-border war defined by brutality and murder. John Brown didn't make it any better by attempting his little foray.

I do understand and agree (to a point) with the southern concept of being left alone to shape policies as close to home as possible (on the state level). As many Virginians and other southerners have written, it is core to the concept of the United States of America (the very existence of the 10th Amendment gives rise to this belief). However, there are issues and times when the federal government must exercise it's authority to mandate policies for the entire country (otherwise there wouldn't even be a federal government). Slavery was one of those times and Lincoln knew this. Slavery was an abomination and was only being maintained due to it's impact on the cotton and other agricultural industries. The coming industrial revolution (cotton gin and combines) would have made slavery obsolete in either case. But we are talking about men here, not a commodity. Frederick Douglas did such a good job of reminding northerners of this fact that hostilities to end slavery were inevitable.

Southerners believed, in my opinion falsely, that if the federal government exercised it's authority over an issue (any issue) then they had the right to leave the union. What ensued was a conflaguration of such magnitude that literally hundreds of thousands of men died in battle, millions died as a result of starvation and disease, and the face of this nation was changed forever.

Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Longstreet and others KNEW what they were doing when they joined the confederacy. AND, I believe they knew the eventual outcome was almost a guarantee. I celebrate them as men who followed their conscious AND their heart. In Lee's and Longstreet's case, they were genius'. But, they were wrong...

If you go to certain places in this country and speak with the residences regarding the war, you can still feel the raw nerves... and hear the stories that have been handed down from one generation to another. 150 years since and it still is a topic of great contention...

Happy Birthday Mr. Davis...

Last edited:
Delaware, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and Missouri were all slave states that remained in the Union. If it was all about the "suffering of the black man," then why didn't Lincoln end slavery in those states?

He didn't have the power to do so.

He argued against secession as a Senator from Mississippi, but believed that the right to secession was natural and constitutional so he went along with his state. As to being a traitor, well, I suppose he was a traitor in the same sense that Samuel Adams or Thomas Jefferson were traitors to King George. As to the war leading to 600,000+ deaths, I suppose you should look at who actually wanted the war. That would be Lincoln, not Davis. Davis wanted to secede peacefully, whereas Lincoln was intent on forcing them back into the Union.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm no historian, but I'm almost certain that the the South wouldn’t have seceded from the Union if the Northern states were pro-slavery, and didn’t present a threat to their “right” to work millions of Africans to their deaths on their plantations. I can care less if Lincoln was a racist, or whether or not he had ulterior motives for freeing the slaves; what instead is relevant to me is that he supported the abolition of slavery, plain and simple.

I don’t know about you, but I simply can’t support the South in any way when their #1 REASON or leaving the United States was because they wanted to uphold the institution of slavery. Obviously, I can see why it'd be harder for southerners to let go of this disgusting practice, but I don't think they're deserving of any sort of special sympathy. It's slavery, and it's wrong.

Pretty much everything you said there is politically correct, but historically incorrect.

The troubles between North and South were over tariffs, not slavery. By 1860, the South was funding 85-87% of the Federal government's total revenue through tariffs that were increasing their cost of living. Almost 9 out of 10 Southerners owned no slaves at all.

American agriculture was booming in the mid-1850's as Southern farms were feeding Europe during the Crimean War. That boom slowed dowed down when the war ended in '56. In 1857, the Ohio Life Insurance and Trust Company had to close its New York office because of embezzlement, which almost caused a run on the banks. That, the economic slowdown, and the Dred Scott Decision caused an economic depression, the Panic of 1857.

Strangely enough, Congress actually did the right thing that year and lowered the tariff rates, and the economy stabilized and began to recover in two years. Just as the economy was beginning to recover, Congressman Justin Morrill of Vermont proposed the Morrill Tariff, threatening to raise the tariff rates through the roof with the Southern states bearing the brunt of it..

Contrary to popular belief, Lincoln was not an abolitionist. He did not consider himself one, nor did the abolitionists consider him an abolitionist. Read his First Inaugural Address.

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them...

I don't disagree that taxation played a role in the reasoning to secede from the Union, but to say it was the main reason or the ONLY reason - in my view - is incorrect. I believe that without the issue of slavery, and the northern threat to abolish that institution via the Federal Gov't, I don't believe the Civil War would have ever occurred. To say that the threat of the abolition of slavery did not play into the reasoning behind the secession is laughable (sorry, but that's my opinion).

Also, why is it significant whether or not Lincoln was a pure abolitionist at heart anyways? He was driven by northern interests, and he did abolish slavery - didn't he? Actions speak much more strongly than words....

Delaware, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and Missouri were all slave states that remained in the Union. If it was all about the "suffering of the black man," then why didn't Lincoln end slavery in those states?

If he didn't have the power to end slavery in the border states, then he certainly didn't have the power to end slavery in the Confederacy. However, this is a rather lame excuse. Lincoln did many things that he didn't have the authority or power to do. Suspending habeas corpus, imprisoning hundreds of northern citizens for speaking out against him, shutting down opposition newspapers in the north, deporting a Democratic Congressman, etc... etc...

Thanks for the reply.

I don't disagree that taxation played a role in the reasoning to secede from the Union, but to say it was the main reason or the ONLY reason - in my view - is incorrect. I believe that without the issue of slavery, and the northern threat to abolish that institution via the Federal Gov't, I don't believe the Civil War would have ever occurred. To say that the threat of the abolition of slavery did not play into the reasoning behind the secession is laughable (sorry, but that's my opinion).

Also, why is it significant whether or not Lincoln was a pure abolitionist at heart anyways? He was driven by northern interests, and he did abolish slavery - didn't he? Actions speak much more strongly than words....

Technically no, Lincoln never freed a single slave. The slaves were freed by the Thirteenth Amendment, which came after Lincoln's death.

If he didn't have the power to end slavery in the border states, then he certainly didn't have the power to end slavery in the Confederacy. ...

Of course he did, as Commander-in-Chief.

Two reasons. For starters, as I've already stated in this thread, there were slave states that remained in the Union. So I suppose I can turn your question around on you: Where do you find justification for supporting the northern cause, given that they also practiced slavery? I give neither the side the moral high ground on this issue, and condemn them both. The second reason is that I believe in the right to self-government as put forth by our Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

But Kevin, you don’t think that there was a very real, and very powerful abolitionist movement brewing in the north? You don’t think the southern states felt at all threatened by this, and the growing possibility that the Northern States – via their representation within the Federal Gov’t – could abolish slavery at the National level?

Sure, there were Northern practitioners of slavery, but when it comes down to it the North was the half of the country that was threatening to end slavery – NOT the south. Agree?

Also, although I believe that States should be allowed to govern themselves to a much greater extent than they are allowed today, I do believe that there are certain rules (certain very important rules that protect the dignity of all human beings) that the Federal Government should be allowed to enforce across the entire country. Making slavery illegal – in my view – is one of those rules that I deem appropriate for a Federal Government to enforce. A state – for instance – shouldn’t be able to vote that all Mexicans must volunteer at least 15 hrs a week to public service or else be forced to move; the Federal Government should have the ability to prevent that State from passing such a measure..

Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that if you condemn the Confederates then you must also logically condemn the colonists who seceded from the British Empire. The colonists practiced slavery at the time of their independence, and yet people seem far more willing to forgive them than they are the Confederates. It's hypocrisy, as far as I can tell.

Kevin – at the time of the American Revolution, the abolition of slavery was not a key driving issue of the war, unfortunately. Both the British Empire and the Colonists supported slavery, so it's really a moot point. It's not hypocrisy at all.

If the British Empire supported the abolition of slaves, and that was one of the key reasons that the Colonists wanted independence, then perhaps there would be some hypocrisy present...

Last edited:
Two reasons. For starters, as I've already stated in this thread, there were slave states that remained in the Union. So I suppose I can turn your question around on you: Where do you find justification for supporting the northern cause, given that they also practiced slavery? I give neither the side the moral high ground on this issue, and condemn them both. The second reason is that I believe in the right to self-government as put forth by our Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that if you condemn the Confederates then you must also logically condemn the colonists who seceded from the British Empire. The colonists practiced slavery at the time of their independence, and yet people seem far more willing to forgive them than they are the Confederates. It's hypocrisy, as far as I can tell.

As for what they would have done had things been different, you can only speculate. In reality, the north, generally speaking, was quite content with southern slavery. They didn't want those slaves freed and then emigrating north, which is why some northern states, such as Illinois, had laws against the emigration of blacks into the state. The abolitionists would, of course, have highly favored southern secession, as many had advocated the north seceding from the south. If there was no more political connection between the two regions then the abolitionists would no longer be bound by the the Fugitive Slave clause of the Constitution.

But Kevin, you don’t think that there was a very real, and very powerful abolitionist movement brewing in the north? You don’t think the southern states felt at all threatened by this, and the growing possibility that the Northern States – via their representation within the Federal Gov’t – could abolish slavery at the National level?

Sure, there were Northern practitioners of slavery, but when it comes down to it the North was the half of the country that was threatening to end slavery – NOT the south. Agree?

Also, although I believe that States should be allowed to govern themselves to a much greater extent than they are allowed today, I do believe that there are certain rules (certain very important rules that protect the dignity of all human beings) that the Federal Government should be allowed to enforce across the entire country. Making slavery illegal – in my view – is one of those rules that I deem appropriate for a Federal Government to enforce. A state – for instance – shouldn’t be able to vote that all Mexicans must volunteer at least 15 hrs a week to public service or else be forced to move; the Federal Government should have the ability to prevent that State from passing such a measure..

No, I don't believe that at all. The abolitionist movement was quite small, even in the north, and certainly had no political power. Abolitionists were not fond of Lincoln, and he was not fond of them. The south had far too much political power in the federal government to ever let a ban on slavery pass. There was never a chance of that happening.

And no, as I've already stated, the north was not threatening to end slavery. The only thing that can be said of the north is that they opposed the expansion of slavery because it would continue to give the south increased representation in the federal government, and people like Lincoln opposed expansion because he wanted the work that slaves would do for free white labor instead. Like I said, the north in general, not counting the small percentage of abolitionists, had little problem with slavery as it existed.

If you want these "rules" as you call them to be enforced by the federal government then you need a constitutional amendment to give them the right to enforce these rules. However, I think people seem to forget about the state constitutions in discussions of federalism. The states can't simply do whatever they want either.

Kevin – at the time of the American Revolution, the abolition of slavery was not a key driving issue of the war, unfortunately. Both the British Empire and the Colonists supported slavery, so it's really a moot point. It's not hypocrisy at all.

If the British Empire supported the abolition of slaves, and that was one of the key reasons that the Colonists wanted independence, then perhaps there would be some hypocrisy present...

Surely slavery itself is the crime, and not wanting to secede to protect slavery? The fact is that the colonists practiced slavery, regardless of whether that was one of the issues that seceded from the British Empire over. Furthermore, the British offered any slave who joined them their freedom. So perhaps Britain really did have the moral high ground against the colonists?

Of course he did, as Commander-in-Chief.

... Then he also had the power to do it in the border states, as Commander-in-Chief.

Only in those states in open rebellion against the Union during a time of war. Come on, you must know this.

If that were the case then by what right did he exercise his "power" as "Commander-in-Chief" to suspend habeas corpus in the north, imprison hundreds of northern citizens, shut down opposition newspapers, and deport a northern Democratic Congressman from Ohio? Surely if his power as Commander-in-Chief gives him the authority to do those things in the north, then he would also have the power to end slavery in the border states as Commander-in-Chief.

Furthermore, this excuse doesn't explain why he didn't immediately end slavery in Confederate territory captured by the Union, such as New Orleans. New Orleans was "in open rebellion" at the time of its capture, so why didn't he end slavery there since he had the power to do so as Commander-in-Chief according to you?

Surely slavery itself is the crime, and not wanting to secede to protect slavery? The fact is that the colonists practiced slavery, regardless of whether that was one of the issues that seceded from the British Empire over. Furthermore, the British offered any slave who joined them their freedom. So perhaps Britain really did have the moral high ground against the colonists?

I don't congratulate the colonists for practicing slavery. All I'm saying is that because both the Colonists and the British Empire - at that time - practiced slavery (and the fact that it was not a key driver in the decision to declare independence) I think it's a totally moot point, period. The Colonists also didn't allow women to vote, either, but again when discussing the American Revolution that is an irrelevant point because it was not what they were fighting for at the time.

And if you don't believe that slavery was a driver behind the Civil War - fine - but I do, and also believe that the North was the "side" that supported/was capable of abolishing it. Therefore I "side" with the north in this thread, and will state that I'm glad they won the battle (and not the South) because it resulted in the abrupt end to slavery.

You bring up some interesting points of information about Lincoln and his view towards abolitionism I will research on my own, however... so thank you.

Last edited:
The Civil War was fought because the South seceeded from the union. Had the south not seceeded but instead did not oppose the tariffs would there have been a civil war over slavery?

No.

Jefferson Davis was born June 3, 1808, and he was the first and only President of the Confederate States of America. He believed in peace, free trade, and the American idea of self-government.

"All we ask is to be let alone." - Jefferson Davis

:lmao:

He believed in peace except for that whole Civil War thing.

He believed in free trade -- of slaves.

And he believed in the American idea of self-government, except for "those" African descendants.

Fuck his filthy memory.

Forum List

Back