Happy Happy Dance!

3 minutes and 20 seconds ago, we got our Electricity BACK!

We got over 15 inches of snow in a storm on Sunday, lost electric at noon, (and a few trees), and we just got it back!!!

:dance:

We have generator that we have used for the first time and extension cords are going every which way but loose around here, for when we were running it...the house looks like a war zone...candles and battery lanterns, and emergency radio with weather band, and all kinds of stuff we used the first day, thinking electric would come back on in a couple of hours, and then mud tracked through the house by my lovely husband who had to dig out the generator from the snow, which turned muddy...and dishes in the sink from having no water and ughhhhhhhhhhh, it is going to take me hours if not a couple of days to clean up this mess we made,

just from not having electricity....

Last Christmas, we had an ice storm here and lost electricity for a week...we had no working generator, there was no heat, no water, no lights and it was 10 degrees out...the house was so cold, that I OPENED my refrigerator to keep the food cold! :D

Anyway, since then, we got a working generator, a kerosine heater, and some lanterns, and other emergency stuff so that we would not go through that frozen hell, ever again!!!

This was a trial run, this early Nor'easter we got...and we have some kinks to work out, but I think we should be okay if we lose it again in the winter....

Our rural area, is ALWAYS THE LAST to get our electricity back....

In my own la la liberal world, :D .....I was kind of hoping it would be more fair, and since we were the last house to be reconnected during the ice storm catastrophe in December, that they might do us FIRST this time..... :lol:

no such luck!

It is a shame that global warming missed you folks in the northeast. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
I know, and bummer! I was hoping for a warm Maine in the future, and have waterfront property some day, with the seas rising and all.....!!! nope, no such luck again! :D

I have spent some time on the beaches on east coast. They are beautiful but cold.

You should put a hook up for the generator on the house. All you would need to do is plug in one heavy duty cord outside the house and light up your circuit board. It's more convenient and a lot safer

Do I just call an electrician, or should I buy the box and then call an electrician or can we do this ourselves?
I would call an electrician first.

You can decide how many circuits to power or you can choose to power the entire board if your generator can handle it.

If your generator is a smaller one you have to make sure the circuits you power do not exceed the amperage of the generator.

We got over 15 inches of snow in a storm on Sunday, lost electric at noon, (and a few trees), and we just got it back!!!

We have generator that we have used for the first time and extension cords are going every which way but loose around here, for when we were running it...the house looks like a war zone...candles and battery lanterns, and emergency radio with weather band, and all kinds of stuff we used the first day, thinking electric would come back on in a couple of hours, and then mud tracked through the house by my lovely husband who had to dig out the generator from the snow, which turned muddy...and dishes in the sink from having no water and ughhhhhhhhhhh, it is going to take me hours if not a couple of days to clean up this mess we made,

Last Christmas, we had an ice storm here and lost electricity for a week...we had no working generator, there was no heat, no water, no lights and it was 10 degrees out...the house was so cold, that I OPENED my refrigerator to keep the food cold! :D

Anyway, since then, we got a working generator, a kerosine heater, and some lanterns, and other emergency stuff so that we would not go through that frozen hell, ever again!!!

This was a trial run, this early Nor'easter we got...and we have some kinks to work out, but I think we should be okay if we lose it again in the winter....

In my own la la liberal world, :D .....I was kind of hoping it would be more fair, and since we were the last house to be reconnected during the ice storm catastrophe in December, that they might do us FIRST this time..... :lol:

no such luck!

It is a shame that global warming missed you folks in the northeast. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
I know, and bummer! I was hoping for a warm Maine in the future, and have waterfront property some day, with the seas rising and all.....!!! nope, no such luck again! :D

I have spent some time on the beaches on east coast. They are beautiful but cold.
Moving up here to New England, from Florida, I have never gone in the ocean full body, it is way too cold...only my feet have ventured in (and they turn blue from the cold)....when we moved up here from Florida in early October over a decade ago, the water temperature in the Gulf of Mexico, was 83 degrees! We have never gotten used to the cold cold cold ocean water....we had it too good in Florida.

no such luck!
Power companies may surprise you,
For example in urban and suburban areas, residential customers are invariably reconnected LAST.
It also depends upon the power company AND the size of the service area.
In this area, Duke Energy is the incumbent provider of electrical power( provided by nuclear, coal and hydro). Another portion of this area is served by a membership cooperative.
I have aquintances who reside over there. While it took 15 hrs to get our power back, they got theirs back in less than half the time.
So, living in a rural area, you'll probably always be one of the last to be reconnected.
BTW, why are you as a La La Lib using electricity generated by fossil fuels?
Unreal...

no such luck!
For example in urban and suburban areas, residential customers are invariably reconnected LAST.
In this area, Duke Energy is the incumbent provider of electrical power( provided by nuclear, coal and hydro). Another portion of this area is served by a membership cooperative.
I have aquintances who reside over there. While it took 15 hrs to get our power back, they got theirs back in less than half the time.
So, living in a rural area, you'll probably always be one of the last to be reconnected.
Unreal...
Our electricity is clean energy up here...It's HYDRO Power...from the fast running rivers and snow melt from our mountains and Canada..we are clean as a whistle....on electricity. :D

Last edited:

no such luck!
Unreal...
Our electricity is clean energy up here...It's HYDRO Power...from the fast running rivers and snow melt from our mountains and Canada..we are clean as a whistle on electricity.... :D
until we lose power...

I just got back from hot and humid India. So even the N California feels like Siberia to me at the moment.
Just suck it up, and run the heat....until you get acclimated again! It's horrible feeling cold all the time!

I landed in San Francisco on Friday evening. Saturday and Sunday had been really bad for me as far as feeling cold is concerned. I slept pretty much all day and all night with my beanie cap, socks and thermal on. I have been pushing it since yesterday. I feel a bit better today. I think my body is re-acclimatizing now.

As far as heat, we don't have much choice...wood or oil, both pollutants to the air...

We don't have natural gas available, we have very few hours of sun, all winter long...though summer daylight is long and solar would work in the summer...a neighbor and my husband were talking about getting a windmill/wind turbine and spitting the costs, but that fell through... so we are trying to take steps in the right direction.... :)

Last edited:

no such luck!

Moving up here to New England, from Florida, I have never gone in the ocean full body, it is way too cold...only my feet have ventured in (and they turn blue from the cold)....when we moved up here from Florida in early October over a decade ago, the water temperature in the Gulf of Mexico, was 83 degrees! We have never gotten used to the cold cold cold ocean water....we had it too good in Florida.

I agree. Even the beaches in S California are not as enjoyable as the beaches in Florida. I think it is the humidity which makes it pleasant for beach dwelling.

You're better off vetoing the green freaks in your locale and trim the trees that are causing the outages.
electric companies are suppose to do that....it's the law...we can't stop them from cutting limbs, even if we wanted to.... not if they could damage the lines.

You're better off vetoing the green freaks in your locale and trim the trees that are causing the outages.
electric companies are suppose to do that....it's the law...we can't stop them from cutting limbs, even if we wanted to.... not if they could damage the lines.
Not where I live. The green freaks made things so bad that power outages occurred when someone sneezed. Eventually the squeaky wheels got the grease. And when the green freaks had to endure their own outages they relented.

You should put a hook up for the generator on the house. All you would need to do is plug in one heavy duty cord outside the house and light up your circuit board. It's more convenient and a lot safer

Do I just call an electrician, or should I buy the box and then call an electrician or can we do this ourselves?
Electricity in the hands of the wrong person is inherently dangerous.
Only a licensed electrician should be in your meter base/ breaker panel.
One issue you must overcome is doing without the absolute necessities when your generator is required.
Rural area dwellers usually have wells. which require electricity to run the well pump.
If you are not with wood/gas burning fireplace, your generator should be able to handle the load that runs your furnace.
That's 30 to 60 amps right there.
Here's an example.. A typical furnace runs at max 25 amps. with a 230 volt requirement. Ohm's Law plug in Amps (I) X Volts (E) = 5750 watts (P).
So the minimum to handle your furnace is a 7.5kw generator.
In any event, this is a tremendous amount of current. It only takes ONE amp traveling through a fully grounded barefooted human being to end their life.
Spend the money on an electrician. You may be a flaming liberal, but you are a fellow human being and I would not wish any harm to come to you or your loved ones.
Hire an electrician.....

If you're not an electrician at least by training then do not go hard-wiring a generator into your house. Done incorrectly you can back-feed the grid and possibly kill a lineman working to restore normal power.

you need an electrician to hard wire it to the house...
And then what?

I mean, it's a 5000 constant watt 6500 watt generator, but I don't believe the whole house could run off of it?

What I would want is to have:

the fhw oil heat and water heater to work, the water pump to work, my computer set up and tv in my work area, Matt's computer set up and tv/ satelite box in his man cave area, the router and a couple of lights and the Microwave and coffee pot :D to work and the refrig running.... hahahahahahahaha, I guess most everything, except the Stove/oven, washer dryer, and all the other lights and tvs in other rooms.

Don't know if this generator is strong enough?

and how would this work? when it is connected to the house? Do I flip on the circuit breakers for the things I need, when I need them?
When you consider a generator, consider your climate control and food preservation FIRST. Then worry about the frills.
Computer processors and televisions are electricity hogs.

no such luck!

Actually, one of the side effects of global warming is early and unusually cold winters.
Oh please.
The winter weather is dictated by la nina and el nno cycles.

you need an electrician to hard wire it to the house...
And then what?

I mean, it's a 5000 constant watt 6500 watt generator, but I don't believe the whole house could run off of it?

What I would want is to have:

the fhw oil heat and water heater to work, the water pump to work, my computer set up and tv in my work area, Matt's computer set up and tv/ satelite box in his man cave area, the router and a couple of lights and the Microwave and coffee pot :D to work and the refrig running.... hahahahahahahaha, I guess most everything, except the Stove/oven, washer dryer, and all the other lights and tvs in other rooms.

Don't know if this generator is strong enough?

and how would this work? when it is connected to the house? Do I flip on the circuit breakers for the things I need, when I need them?
When you consider a generator, consider your climate control and food preservation FIRST. Then worry about the frills.
Computer processors and televisions are electricity hogs.
I have an internet business and need to be connected nearly 24/7...and I suppose my husband would fight me tooth and nail for that 'juice' so he could be connected! And we didn't even own a computer 15 years ago...now life seems to stop, without it...

no such luck!

Actually, one of the side effects of global warming is early and unusually cold winters.
Oh please.
The winter weather is dictated by la nina and el nno cycles.

When we talk about global warming, we're not talking about how this summer's temperatures were hotter than last year's. Instead, we're talking about climate change, changes that happen to our environment, atmosphere and weather over time. Think decades, not seasons. The term global warming itself is a bit deceptive because it implies we should expect things to get hotter -- not necessarily stormier, drier and even, in some instances, colder.

The Top 10 Worst Effects of Global Warming Discovery Channel

Wow! It is only the beginning of November and you are already getting 15 inches of snow. It looks like we are going to have a very cold winter. I have been feeling unusually cold here in N California to a point that I am wearing thermal and drinking green tea.
It's scary! This is a month or two early for us...if we are lucky, we normally have snow on the ground by Christmas, and then January and February are brutally cold, and then March, snow storm after snow storm, with it being warmer...a heavy, snow.... then April/May begins the thaw, and is what we call "Mud Season", by the end of May the apple and plum trees are in bloom and paradise arrives again... :D
Too much precipitation. Hopefully this isn't a trend.

We have a small generator that we use for hurricanes and don't have it wired directly into the house. It keeps the freezer/fridge going, and a little hotplate for coffee, fans, and chargers. If you have a wood burning stove you may not need a whole house fridge. Unless you get your water from a well.

no such luck!
Unreal...
Our electricity is clean energy up here...It's HYDRO Power...from the fast running rivers and snow melt from our mountains and Canada..we are clean as a whistle....on electricity. :D
Ok..so what is used to lubricate the turbines? Want a hint? What is used to cool the generators? Want a hint?.
There is no such thing as "clean".. It may be "clean-er" but no energy production is without the use of carbon based fuels and substances.
And in the case of drought conditions? The alternative is?...Want a hint?

Forum List

Back