Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

I'm not predisposed to not believe anyone. Having read the police report, I am disturbed by how Crowley choose to precede and what he chose to report. That charges were dropped points to his supervisors also having doubts about the legitimacy of the arrest.

Yes, the president's response definitely made the situation more complicated.

No that the charges were dropped points to Gates "friends in high places".

Face it, if it were you or I, charges would have been filed. But then again, if it was me at least, I wouldn't have been yelling at the officer like that.
No charges would have been filed in anyone's case because no crime was committed (other than the officer's abuse of power) and the police knew they couldn't prove one had. I give the Cambridge Police credit for at least dropping the charges.

What do you think of the notion that it was Mr Gates who abused his power? He flipped out at the police JUST because they had the nerve to be there questioning him. He instantly got overly defensive toward the officer, grabbed his cell phone and immediately began calling his powerful friends. He escalated the situation and acted as if he was above the law. Ultimately he provoked the police to assert their authority in order to calm him down. They warned him to stop ranting and he continued. The officer was not responding to his race, he was responding to his disorderly behavior amidst the legal procedure the situation required.

I'm repeating myself, but I think ANYONE who responds to routine inquiry the way this man evidently did, deserves to be arrested for disorderly conduct. I wonder if some of you would feel the same way if this very same behavior was exhibited in the exact same situation and the person who was acting like an elitist brat toward the civil servant police was Jenna Bush for example?

WHY? BECAUSE I'M A BUSH? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M GONNA CALL MY DADDY AND TELL ON YOU! I'M GONNA SUE YOU FOR HARASSMENT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE MESSING WITH. WAAA I'M CRANKY, YOU SEXIST PIG! DON'T TOUCH ME! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BUSHES IN AMERICA, HOW DARE YOU?

Tell me you wouldn't be laughing at her and applauding the cops? :eusa_think:

Face it, if it were you or I, charges would have been filed. But then again, if it was me at least, I wouldn't have been yelling at the officer like that.
No charges would have been filed in anyone's case because no crime was committed (other than the officer's abuse of power) and the police knew they couldn't prove one had. I give the Cambridge Police credit for at least dropping the charges.

What do you think of the notion that it was Mr Gates who abused his power? He flipped out at the police JUST because they had the nerve to be there questioning him. He instantly got overly defensive toward the officer, grabbed his cell phone and immediately began calling his powerful friends. He escalated the situation and acted as if he was above the law. Ultimately he provoked the police to assert their authority in order to calm him down. They warned him to stop ranting and he continued. The officer was not responding to his race, he was responding to his disorderly behavior amidst the legal procedure the situation required.

I'm repeating myself, but I think ANYONE who responds to routine inquiry the way this man evidently did, deserves to be arrested for disorderly conduct. I wonder if some of you would feel the same way if this very same behavior was exhibited in the exact same situation and the person who was acting like an elitist brat toward the civil servant police was Jenna Bush for example?

WHY? BECAUSE I'M A BUSH? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M GONNA CALL MY DADDY AND TELL ON YOU! I'M GONNA SUE YOU FOR HARASSMENT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE MESSING WITH. WAAA I'M CRANKY, YOU SEXIST PIG! DON'T TOUCH ME! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BUSHES IN AMERICA, HOW DARE YOU?

:rolleyes: I'd think Jenna was a twit just like I think Gates is a twit but that wouldn't mean the cops had the right to arrest either one of them.

So the cops were FORCED to arrest someone because he was a cranky fool?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Unless Gates threatened and or physically assaulted the officer, the cop should have left, end of discussion. Cops need to have thick skin and not be overemotional wusses making unecessary arrests.

When I first read about this incident I was disgusted by Gates' behavior and disillusioned about someone I have respect for. The shock of realizing that Gates is no different than a lot of famous people in that they can be arrogant and have trouble managing their anger since not many stand up to them made me initially sympathize with the officer. But the more I read about the case, it became more obvious to me that the officer did not behave in a professional manner or use common sense and it looks to me that he very likely tried to manipulate the situation with the intent of putting Gates in a position where he could arrest him. The cop was not acting in the best interest of the commonwealth. If he was, he would have left the premises as soon as he knew Gates was there legitimately. He had no business using his power as a police officer for revenge. His job is to maintain the peace, diffuse situations that might escalate in the professional manner in which he was trained and then get back to work once his job there was done.

Gates did not abuse his power. He did not arrest the officer, handcuff him and have him held at the police station for four hours. Gates was behaving in a manner, while not admirable in the least, is not illegal within the confines of his own home. (I consider his front porch to be the confines of his home.) It's not even behavior considered by most police officers worth wasting time dealing with when it occurs in public areas.
Officer Crowley is a pussy and a law breaker.

They are both royal asswipes, IMO, but the police officer is the criminal here, not Gates.

Last fall firemen were mistakenly called to my neighbor's house by a third person. My neighbor is a young 30ish black guy who has always seemed like a nice courteous guy. But he went ballistic when it looked like the firemen had been about to break down his door. He followed them down his steps and onto the sidewalk yelling to keep off his property and quit harassing people and go fight some real fires. The firemen just looked at the guy shrugged thier shoulders and drove off.

I've seen people get very nasty with cops in regular street encounters and demonstrations and I've been taunted as a racist myself (albeit by a 12 year old punk). Most cops know how to keep their cool. Good thing since they do carry guns.

Last fall firemen were mistakenly called to my neighbor's house by a third person. My neighbor is a young 30ish black guy who has always seemed like a nice courteous guy. But he went ballistic when it looked like the firemen had been about to break down his door. He followed them down his steps and onto the sidewalk yelling to keep off his property and quit harassing people and go fight some real fires. The firemen just looked at the guy shrugged thier shoulders and drove off.

I've seen people get very nasty with cops in regular street encounters and demonstrations and I've been taunted as a racist myself (albeit by a 12 year old punk). Most cops know how to keep their cool. Good thing since they do carry guns.

pssst. firemen don't arrest people.
:eusa_shhh:

Anyone else find it wildly amusing that Angry Eel equates a cop making an arrest with losing his cool.

I sure do.

pssst, aren't you schmart!!

pssst, aren't you schmart!!

yes. i am.

Anyone else find it wildly amusing that mani and del, two white guys, fear this incident will chip another hole in the monument to white male supremacy that they subconsciously huddle under?

Anyone else find it wildly amusing that mani and del, two white guys, fear this incident will chip another hole in the monument to white male supremacy that they subconsciously huddle under?

no more amusing than watching the contortions you're going through to try to paint this cop as an out of control, power mad, redneck, racist.

now, that's funny. :thup:

There's a fair amount of trolling going on in this thread mani and del need to quit it and focus on the topic at hand.

So did Obama apologize to the police department for being racist toward them?

Forum List

Back