Has anyone taken a long (over 500 miles) road trip in an EV?

I have friends that do often. Two of them are retired engineer's. They enjoy planning their trips. Both have Tesla Model 3's.
I wonder how long the trips were and how stressful it is as the battery starts running down and what happens when your planned charging station is full or not open.

I'm just curious if any EV owner has taken a 500 mile or more car trip somewhere, and if so, how it went.
I know someone that tried and failed recently.

No charging stations anywhere, they had to return to where they got the alleged "vehicle".

Never reached intended destination. Air fare, car rental, all for naught.

They were going less than 200 miles, too. Idk what the EV was.

Oh! One big problem is they didn't have some kind of adapter. (that they were supposed to)

I wonder how long the trips were and how stressful it is as the battery starts running down and what happens when your planned charging station is full or not open.

I believe all that info is available beforehand.

There is also an app available that allows you to contact another EV owner and use their charger in an actual situation like that.

People are signed up all over the country.

I'm just curious if any EV owner has taken a 500 mile or more car trip somewhere, and if so, how it went.
we know EV cars are not for you and you hate them,, but why would you ask such a dumb question,,,

the amount of people that have gone on long trips us astronomical,,

I have seen one person go from san diego to florida and another go from canada to arizona,,

and yes you do have to do a little more planning and your route may be limited due to charging stations, along with t taking a little longer,,,

OH another guy went from florida to sturgis on a EV motorcycle,,,

the idea you may think it cant be done is beyond me,,,

I believe all that info is available beforehand.

There is also an app available that allows you to contact another EV owner and use their charger in an actual situation like that.

People are signed up all over the country.
CE cars don't need any of that. You just fill up, take off and drive to your destination. Plenty of gas stations along the way and only minutes to fill the tank. If you're going somewhere less populated you can always carry your own gas. You can't do that in an EV. No calling 'another' unknown person to help you fill up either.

CE cars don't need any of that. You just fill up, take off and drive to your destination. Plenty of gas stations and only minutes to fill the tank. No calling 'another' unknown person to help you fill up either.
are you saying no person has ever ran out of gas??
I sure hope not,,

My son has a Tesla Y model.

He lives in Atlanta and has driven it down here to Central Florida a couple of times. He told me he will not take it on long trips any more. Just use it for commuting back and forth to work in Atlanta.

Last year we had a relative die in Ft Wayne Indiana. My wife and I drove up from Central Florida for the funeral. My son drove up from Atlanta.

We left to go home the same day. We both left Ft Wayne at 5:00 AM. We had to go different routes because he needed to be routed for the charging stations. Not much difference in the mileage. We planned to meet at his home in Atlanta.

My wife and I arrived a little after 3:00. It was not until after 6:00 that my son got there. No traffic problems for him. Just charging time and he was suppose to have access to the Tesla Fast Charge. That is bullshit.

He is getting rid of his EV and will replace it with an ICE.

I know someone that tried and failed recently.

No charging stations anywhere, they had to return to where they got the alleged "vehicle".

Never reached intended destination. Air fare, car rental, all for naught.

They were going less than 200 miles, too. Idk what the EV was.

Oh! One big problem is they didn't have some kind of adapter. (that they were supposed to)

Sounds like Bull Shit

You were doing OK until you claimed the trip was under 200 miles

Forum List

Back