Has anyone tried the battery operated lawn mowers yet?

I have ONE mower, ONE blower, ONE weed eater and ONE chain saw. They are all over ten years old and work as well as the day I bought them. Proper care and maintenance is a tool's best friend.
You can get all those things with a battery system.

A guy a few houses down has one.

It's the worst looking front lawn on the street.

Whenever he makes a pass, some gets cut and some don't.

He's got uncut grass sticking up all over the place.

I will probably stick with a gas mower as I need a new lawn tractor for a large lot.
But I bought an electric weed whipper which I like.
Don't have to pull start 30 times to get it going and I no longer smell like mixed gas when done.

My old gas-powered mower that I've been beating up for the past 14 years is showing signs of nearing the end of its life. I could drop it off and have it rebuilt but I noticed that my neighbor has been using this cordless mower.
He says he wishes he never bought it but from what I can see it does a good job. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.

I had one of the Sears Craftsman brand and I liked it fine. I mostly loved not having to walk behind a motor spewing gas fumes. It came with 2 batteries and a charger and that was enough to do both my front and back yards.

The only reasons I didn't bring it when I moved across the country was that I was running out of room in the truck and my next door neighbor wanted to buy it.

Only thing different is the drop down box overlaps the right side of the thread posts like about a half inch. Not a problem for me, but on smaller screens it might be?

Or maybe it might just be my screen settings, don't know yet.

My old gas-powered mower that I've been beating up for the past 14 years is showing signs of nearing the end of its life. I could drop it off and have it rebuilt but I noticed that my neighbor has been using this cordless mower.
He says he wishes he never bought it but from what I can see it does a good job. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.
All Batteries die

How much is a new one?

I have used an ego mower for 4 years. Really like it, but the battery is starting to loose life. I was able to mow the entire lawn with one charge. Now I get 3/4 done and it needs recharged. No biggie, takes 45 minutes and I have a beer while it’s charging.

Yea, haven’t checked on that. I hear one for an ego can run $300. I’m sure their are alternatives out there though.

Way too expensive, but no longer an issue for me. I had to give up on having any kind of a push mower when I moved -- lot is simply too big.

I will probably stick with a gas mower as I need a new lawn tractor for a large lot.
But I bought an electric weed whipper which I like.
Don't have to pull start 30 times to get it going and I no longer smell like mixed gas when done.
I have and old Stihl weed whacker that is a little beast. I live in CA where gas has alcohol in it. I get alcohol-free gas for it and my chainsaw. They start every time with just a couple of pulls. I'm not against electric though.

I bet even God appreciates a large V8.
My favorite was a rocket 455 in my 68 olds 98.

This is what she looked like....
My car was also a convertible.
Screenshot_20240614-192658_Google~2.jpg

Last edited:
I had many JO

loved that 'pressed in yer seat' feeling.......~s~
Oh baby.....the passing gear from 65 To 95......!!!!! All four barrels wide open and just chugging the motion lotion!!

I have a bunch of 20V Black and Decker tools.
They work great.
I started with just a drill, and then started adding more tools.... sander, chainsaw, sawzall, vacuum, jigsaw, circular saw, weedeater, hedge trimmer, leaf blower
I haven't had to replace a battery yet.

1718411261113.jpeg

So my 12 year old Husqvarna deck was beginning to rust out and I did some research last fall, and bought an "Ego" like the one shown by RightWinger. Bought it about 6 weeks ago (shown above) and I'm very happy with it.

#1 MODEL: Mine is 21" (would have like 22" like the Husqvarna, but such is life). It's self-propelled. The upper handle green buttons engage the drive and the green dial sets speed. Took a little getting used to as I was used to that varied speed depending on how far back you pull them. You don't really have that fingertip control, but you get used to it. Dial is speed and buttons are go/no go. BTW - you don't have to have the blades running to engage propulsion like with an ICE mower.

#2 POWER: It's the 7.0 ft/lbs of torgue version so it's on the higher end of power for their walk behind series and it's pretty close to the output power of my 7.75 ft/lbs of torgue Husqvarna. The reason? I always engaged the drive on the Husqvarna. However the EGO is much lighter than the steel construction/ICE engine traditional mower. Having the self-propelled feature is not (I'm in my 60's), but with it being so light I find I rarely engage it except going upgrade. On level ground I don't find the need for it at all, it's very comfortable without the drive, but the option is there when I need it. (See battery) Construction of this model is composite deck and handles which accounts for the weight savings over steel. So with the Husqvarna I figure I was pulling some torque to drive the wheels. You can engage the blades without propulsion.

#3 NOISE: The reduction in noise over an ICE engine is wonderful. I'm mean it's not whisper silent, but I'd say it reduces the noise by at least half to my unprofessional ears. With the 7.75 Husqvarna, I'd wear foamy ear plugs and then my Bose noise reduction headset (with something to listen to while mowing). Now I just need the Bose and I run the volume at lower level and it's hardly noticeable.

#4 FUMES: Elimination of gas and oil for the ICE engine is nice. The batteries charging is so much more convenient over the ICE engine.

#5 USAGE: Power, this is where you have to do a personal evaluation. You could say I live in the suburbs on about 1/3 acre. So I'm never trying to cut heavy brush with the thing. It's a lawn mower, not a tractor or riding mower. If it's used for it's intended purpose it does just fine.

#6 BATTERY: Part of the sale price I bought it at was an advertised 2nd battery. I would not recommend an E-mower without a second battery. It came with a 7.5 amp/hr and a 5.0 amp/hr battery. Which works perfectly for me. I run the 5.0 a/h for the front and sides and then swap out for the 7.5 a/h for the big back yard and the common area behind the fence. You want two batteries on a decent size lawn because it would suck running out of juice and waiting a half to an hour for a recharge. Two swappable batteries? The way to go. Don't believe the advertising, it say the 7.5 a/h would last an hour, it lasted 45-50 minutes with no self-propulsion, usually I've been getting about 40 minutes with light propulsion used only on grades. Using lots of propulsion will definitely shorted battery run time. Front lawn is smaller so the 5.0 a/h is just fine.

#7 CLEANUP: I didn't think this would be a big deal, but it's really something I like. I keep a shop towel and a paint stirrer with the unit when not in use. After mowing take a garage broom to the top of the deck in the lawn to the side of the garage. Then flip it up, do a light scrape of any clinging clippings on the underside to remove the chunks, give it a quick wipe with the shop towel. The handle folds over and you can lift it up to store vertically, which is VERY nice roles well on the back wheels and stores that way. The garage doesn't smell of gas mower any more. And you never have to worry about gas/oil leakage if you turn it on it's side or vertical to get underneath.

#8 STUPID: See the little pouch under green start button that says "EGO"? Love it. Before I'd set my phone on the gas can in the middle of the lawn (or in the gas can shade if it was really hot) and then mow the lawn. That gave Bluetooth enough range for the headphones and I didn't have the phone in my pocket. With that little pouch, the phone slips in, stays out of the sun, and is right there with you where you work. With some things I'm easy to please. You could use it for phone, sunglasses, or even as a drink holder for those really hot days. (Stay hydrated my friend.)

#9 DISCHARGE: You can (A) mulch, (B) discharge, or (C) bag. The discharge is actually in the rear with a 90 degree deflector attachment. This is a nice design because it mean no side discharge on the deck. You can run either side of the mower close to a fence or the house instead of only one way with the traditional discharge.
Final call, as with most things, take a serious look at your usage. This type of mower will work best on keeping a lawn mowed, not letting it over grow and have to cut back, such activity will seriously suck battery power. I mow mine pretty much every week when we have enough rain to keep it watered and growing. Another being how big a lawn do you have? I recommend 2 batteries, but if you have a tiny lawn, 1 may be just fine.

WW

Last edited:

Forum List

Back