Hats off to the gamers!

I always play DPS. Class doesn't matter. Shaman, paladin, monk, Druid, priest; all DPS.

And all my hunters are beastmasters.

Well that's just terrible!

You need to have at least one tank and healer. How are you still playing? Variety! :lol:

I mixed it up in WoW and Everquest. I'll admit, I preferred dps in a lot of ways, it's just easier and much less responsibility. :eusa_shhh:

Exactly. I love DPS. I don't want the responsibility. And here's a strange one for you: I have gotten claustrophobia in dungeons. Sooo if I need to leave, no big. There'll be another DPS to replace me in a heartbeat.

Yeah, DPSers do tend to be less imaginative and simplistic.

:D

But Crowd Control is often the key diff on 30% of any raid.

Someone has to ask: what the hell is a DPS?

Damage per second. In MMORPG terms, a character that deals damage to the enemy rather than healing party members or tanking (holding the attention of the enemy so it hits you and not the rest of the party).

And you have to deal said damage fast, without pulling aggro. Not as easy as it would seem.

Damage per second. In MMORPG terms, a character that deals damage to the enemy rather than healing party members or tanking (holding the attention of the enemy so it hits you and not the rest of the party).

And you have to deal said damage fast, without pulling aggro. Not as easy as it would seem.

With my barb, I can kite rooms in under 10 seconds. Leap (with stun rune) combined with Whirlwind (Volcanic eruption rune) and Fury. Aggro? Before the healers get there the room is clean, except maybe for the Boss. For that I tank, and DD (Damage Deal) along with the Monks, while the Demon Hunters, Wizards and Witch Doctors wail from long range. Sometimes the party combination varies. Could be four Barbarians, four Monks, and etc. I've been in one of those. Cleared the game in three hours flat.

With my barb, I can kite rooms in under 10 seconds. Leap (with stun rune) combined with Whirlwind (Volcanic eruption rune) and Fury. Aggro? Before the healers get there the room is clean, except maybe for the Boss. For that I tank, and DD (Damage Deal) along with the Monks, while the Demon Hunters, Wizards and Witch Doctors wail from long range. Sometimes the party combination varies. Could be four Barbarians, four Monks, and etc. I've been in one of those. Cleared the game in three hours flat.

I would not consider Diablo a MMORPG. Great games, I've enjoyed all 3 Diablo's, but they don't work the same as a WoW. ;)

That's really dependent on your tank! :D

That's really dependent on your tank! :D

You know your tank has issues when your Lazer Kitty draws aggro with growl off. :lol:

I would not consider Diablo a MMORPG. Great games, I've enjoyed all 3 Diablo's, but they don't work the same as a WoW. ;)

Parties, Classes, millions of online players (not the extent of WoW mind you), multiple roles... all the prerequisites of it being an MMO are there.

LOL....You guys are young. I remember hooking up pong on the old tube TV when I was around ten years old.
Still play some FPS on occasion, it's amazing to see how far they've come.

I had an Odyssey - including the stupid overlays you put on the TV screen...

800px-Magnavox-Odyssey-Console-Set.jpg

Standard Disclaimer: The Odyssey was the very first game console.

Parties, Classes, millions of online players (not the extent of WoW mind you), multiple roles... all the prerequisites of it being an MMO are there.

Diablo has a clear progression and an end. ;)

Have you played the Diablo MMORPG? I tried. Hated the fact that I couldn't just auto-run, and promptly left beta.

Have you played the Diablo MMORPG? I tried. Hated the fact that I couldn't just auto-run, and promptly left beta.

Well, I've played the 3 Diablo games I know about. I have not seen one I would consider a MMORPG. I don't know what genre they fall in, but they are not a persistent world game nor are they truly 'massively multiplayer'; only a few people can actually play together at a time.

I love the Diablo games, though. They play almost like an MMO instance, but they don't really have the same player roles.

Well, I've played the 3 Diablo games I know about. I have not seen one I would consider a MMORPG. I don't know what genre they fall in, but they are not a persistent world game nor are they truly 'massively multiplayer'; only a few people can actually play together at a time.

I love the Diablo games, though. They play almost like an MMO instance, but they don't really have the same player roles.

Isn't that true of WoW as well though? I mean maybe I didn't stay in Diablo long enough, but I would assume they have servers like we do, with thousands of players per realm. Since we are split into realms, even WoW wouldn't be MMORPG, since there aren't millions on a single realm.

Isn't that true of WoW as well though? I mean maybe I didn't stay in Diablo long enough, but I would assume they have servers like we do, with thousands of players per realm. Since we are split into realms, even WoW wouldn't be MMORPG, since there aren't millions on a single realm.

I've never played Diablo 3.

But with Diablo 2, there were a maximum of 4 players in a party. While BattleNet is sort of a server, the server functions are purely cooperative.

What this means is that all BN does is match up players who want to play, it does not run the environment, IE the world.

In WOW, EVE, Everquest, etc. Massive server farms create persistent world where thousands of people can log in and explore. If you log out, it has no effect on the world.

But with Diablo, if 4 people want to play a game, one will be the server and host, while the other 3 join through BattleNet. If the host quits, the world is gone. Also, as Montrovant said, Diablo is a game, not a world. It has a defined plot and objectives. It encourages players to cooperate in playing the game, but it is still a start at a, go to b, on through z type of experience.

WOW is a sandbox. While there are quests, there is no story arc, and you can do whatever you want (within the rules of class and level.) You're not playing a game, you're interacting with a virtual world.

They are very, very different, even if the core play in each is hack & slash.

BTW, best coop hack & slash is Torchlight II.

Sounds like one of the dudes I'm running in my current (tabletop) AD&D game...an immensely-strong human ranger, capable of dealing immense damage with every attack.

I blame computer games for ruining D&D!

Sounds like one of the dudes I'm running in my current (tabletop) AD&D game...an immensely-strong human ranger, capable of dealing immense damage with every attack.

I blame computer games for ruining D&D!

I blame the friends I played with for ruining D&D. :lmao:

Forum List

Back