He was 8 when he killed. Now, probation to end

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
AP Exclusive: He was 8 when he killed. Now, probation to end

So..has justice been served? This child killed two people....in cold blood--does he deserve a 2nd chance?

He's 18 now--he's going to date someone's daughter---work and live next to people who know nothing about his past. Is this a good thing..or not?

What of the victim's families..have they received justice? Can there be 'justice' in a case such as this?

"The call came in to police dispatch just after 5 p.m. on a cold November evening in the small Arizona town of St. Johns: There was a body on the front porch of a house.

Detective Debbie Neckel fastened her bulletproof vest and headed out. As she and Sgt. Lucas Rodriguez approached the blue two-story home, Neckel fixed her eyes on two people, a teenager and an 8-year-old boy standing nearby.
Rodriguez walked toward the house, and Neckel toward the boy, whom she knew from the neighborhood. His arms were outstretched, and he was near tears.
"'My dad, my dad. My dad's dead,'" Neckel recalled him saying as she gave her first interview about the case to The Associated Press. "'I think my dad's dead.'"
The boy's father, Vincent Romero, 29, was found face-down on the staircase inside. The body on the porch was Romero's friend and co-worker, Timothy Romans, 39, who rented a room there.
A swirl of suspects would emerge before a truth was revealed that no one saw coming: The 8-year-old killed both men.
The child came home Nov. 5, 2008, and killed his father with a single-shot .22-caliber rifle, holding the bullets in his small hand to reload after each shot. He called to Romans that something was wrong, then shot him, too.
Nine years later, the boy is days from his 18th birthday with a chance to move on from a crime that has defined his life. He will sign paperwork Friday freeing him from intensive probation, psychological evaluations, travel restrictions and having his every move monitored.
"Things will be fundamentally different," said his attorney, Ron Wood.
The transition will be easier because of the support network he built since pleading guilty to negligent homicide in Romans' death, said Wood and Apache County Attorney Michael Whiting, who prosecuted the case.
The charge for killing his father was dropped. Whiting said at the time that it was in the boy's best interest not to be forced to acknowledge killing his father.

The boy first was held at a youth treatment center near Phoenix, then moved to a group home and then a foster home. Besides a trio of probation violations when he was 12, he's avoided trouble. He will likely stay in the foster home beyond his 18th birthday and continue treatment until he's 21, Whiting said."

Is there more to this story? Was the father abusing the son who shot him?

No abuse..or at least..what one would call abuse..apparently the boy was concerned about a negative school report.. Dad had told him that he would get a swat for every day the report was late.The boy was 4 days late.

Dad was on the phone when he was heard scolding the boy for having the gun...then... nothing more.

No abuse..or at least..what one would call abuse..apparently the boy was concerned about a negative school report.. Dad had told him that he would get a swat for every day the report was late.The boy was 4 days late.

Dad was on the phone when he was heard scolding the boy for having the gun...then... nothing more.

That's messed up. There certainly is a lot of messed up stuff in this world.

If the kid was so afraid to show his father his grades that he would rather kill him tells me a simple spanking wasn't in the cards.
Was the renter going to spank him, too?

Like I said,there's something else going on here.
Hell,it could be that dad was a real piece of shit and the kid just acted in a way that his father would have to solve a problem.

Or the kid could be a total headcase.

Irresponsible gun owner getting off'd by his own weapon. Fitting.

The 18 year old will probably become a top gun for the NRA.

If the kid was so afraid to show his father his grades that he would rather kill him tells me a simple spanking wasn't in the cards.

Hell,it could be that dad was a real piece of shit and the kid just acted in a way that his father would have to solve a problem.

Luckily, the boy has a support network and the prosecutor is more concerned with his well being than that of society.

The NRA would like to see him remain in prison so your typical trolling response is not factual.

The NRA would like to see him remain in prison so your typical trolling response is not factual.
He never was in prison...Juvie briefly..then group home..and then foster home.

Luckily, the boy has a support network and the prosecutor is more concerned with his well being than that of society.

Not knowing the kids history after he killed his father and his buddy,I cant really say if he's a threat to society.

Well, you gotta consider that this kid has been in some kind of treatment (probably) for the past 10 years because this incident would point to him having issues.

And, I think that since he was so young when it happened, and has probably figured out that what he did wasn't right, I'd say go ahead and let him out to start his life.

However..................if he shows violence again? Lock him up for the max sentence.

Not knowing the kids history after he killed his father and his buddy,I cant really say if he's a threat to society.
The prosecutor never mentions society, nor his concern for it. He did mention his concern for the boy when he decided not to charge him with killing his father.

It turns our whole concept of justice on its side. Usually, someone does something bad..and we do something bad to them. A primitive balance..it is imperfect, but it works, for us.

But what is justice? Does it even matter? No matter how good this child becomes, it does not change, nor address, the victim's losses..the victim's family's loss.

We try to make sense of it..we say that 'something must have been wrong'--in order to understand it--but there is no sense of it.

This kid--used a single-shot .22--he palmed the rounds and reloaded..shot by shot. Slow and deliberate. Killed two grown men.

The prosecutor never mentions society, nor his concern for it. He did mention his concern for the boy when he decided not to charge him with killing his father.

That would make me think there were extenuating circumstances that lead to the kid killing the two.
Or it's entirely possible that a liberal judge is presiding over the case.

Forum List

Back