Here is who REALLY owns the government:

Pretty sure the american people, those who vote control the government. Last I checked, these "big banks" can't vote.

they can afford 3 lobbyists per congressman to *cough* "help" write bills. You?

You just don't "get it". It isn't who gets elected, its what bills get passed or repealed like Gramm–Leach–Bliley. Google that one :thup: .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/opinion/03brooks.html?_r=0
In other words, Wall Street got huge. As it got huge, its prestige grew. Its compensation packages grew. Its political power grew as well. Wall Street and Washington merged as a flow of investment bankers went down to the White House and the Treasury Department.

The result was a string of legislation designed to further enhance the freedom and power of finance. Regulations separating commercial and investment banking were repealed. There were major increases in the amount of leverage allowed to investment banks.

So ordinary citizens ought to band together, form a corporation and lobby like the big guys, right?

You must have better eye sight than I have because I can't find that text in his post.

Your clairvoyant power is as deficient as your ability to perceive political reality. Just the statement "no one agrees with your political views" demonstrates an hallucinogenic naivete. You must be one of the very few human beings alive today who hasn't realized that the "Influence for Sale" sign has hung over the doors to power for a very long time.
yep, for decades.
Your clairvoyant power is as deficient as your ability to perceive political reality. Just the statement "no one agrees with your political views" demonstrates an hallucinogenic naivete. You must be one of the very few human beings alive today who hasn't realized that the "Influence for Sale" sign has hung over the doors to power for a very long time.

If people wanted to ban lobbyists, they would vote for politicians who would pass strict laws to that effect.

Sorry, you are a political outcast, an outsider; well that is the nice way to say it, you are a political loser, probably a loser in real life as well, as most of your conspiracy ilk are. You have to justify how far out of touch you are with the mainstream by suggesting their is a cabal of people conning the mainstream.

The fact is, people are getting what they vote for. If they don't want it, they have all the power to change it.

so you weren't old enough to vote for Bush II yet you're more than happy to lecture us. Which ivy league school you graduate from? :eusa_think:
Most of the middle aged to elderly people in this country are direly misinformed. The youth are no different for the most part.

If you are going to use your age as an attack, or suggest I can't give my opinion because I don't go to an Ivy League School, than you have no arguments.

they can afford 3 lobbyists per congressman to *cough* "help" write bills. You?

You just don't "get it". It isn't who gets elected, its what bills get passed or repealed like Gramm–Leach–Bliley. Google that one :thup: .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/opinion/03brooks.html?_r=0

So ordinary citizens ought to band together, form a corporation and lobby like the big guys, right?

You must have better eye sight than I have because I can't find that text in his post.

Not better eyesight. Smarter.

Voting by yourself really doesn't mean much. If you want your voice to be heard you have to lobby and you have to get people on your side and vote in groups to try and swing an election.

Voting by yourself really doesn't mean much. If you want your voice to be heard you have to lobby and you have to get people on your side and vote in groups to try and swing an election.

If you really just want to be left alone, you ought to have that right. It's fundamental to a free society.

Darn glad you posted that. I'd never have known.
Most people never even make it to their state capitol for anything more than a field trip. So either people don't know or don't care from what I can tell.

So you're saying apathy is a major problem, is that it?

I think it is one part apathy and partially just because they don't really consider it an option. If they have never done it they don't really know they can do it.

Most people never even make it to their state capitol for anything more than a field trip. So either people don't know or don't care from what I can tell.

So you're saying apathy is a major problem, is that it?

I think it is one part apathy and partially just because they don't really consider it an option. If they have never done it they don't really know they can do it.
Damn are we lucky to have you on here sharing these huge insights with us, or what?

Last edited:

Not better eyesight. Smarter.

says the guy who said Perry (R) was going to win the nomination from day-one :rofl: Don't lecture anyone here guy. :eusa_hand:

Thanks for that tidbit.
I did find it interesting that after Perry left the campaign trail and relaxed a bit he came off a tad more intelligent than he did during the debates.

Problem isnt who is in power. The problem is we are letting them excersize progressively MORE power. If we ALL complained when they do selective bailouts of their FAVORITE bankers, and told them not to do that -- wouldnt matter if Goldman or Lehman guys run the treasury or the Fed.

This is why I don't vote at the national- level anymore. It only encourages them.

The Quiet Coup - Simon Johnson - The Atlantic

(snip)
The crash has laid bare many unpleasant truths about the United States. One of the most alarming, says a former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, is that the finance industry has effectively captured our government—a state of affairs that more typically describes emerging markets, and is at the center of many emerging-market crises. If the IMF’s staff could speak freely about the U.S., it would tell us what it tells all countries in this situation: recovery will fail unless we break the financial oligarchy that is blocking essential reform. And if we are to prevent a true depression, we’re running out of time.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yY6WSDBt7M"]Glenn Greenwald "The Finance Industry Has Captured Our Government" - YouTube[/ame]
Exactly how do you propose to change it?

In 2009 right up to today, the political class has made significant inroads into solidifying their power. They are nearly to the point where our elected seats will become hereditary. One has only to look at the beginning of this with the Kennedy's. Then the Bushes. Congressional Seats and Senate seats are nearly lifetime appointments, given to the newest member by the old guard quietly retiring on the taxpayers money, to live out their golden years in luxury.

How did this come about? People screamed about what they lost. And what they lost was money. Wall street grew and became bloated because the political class wants and needs power. So, they pump 85 billion dollars a month, fattening the coffers of business, but more importantly, keeping the pension funds of those special voters fully funded.

They write labor contract laws that put the taxpayer on the hook for any risk they incur, and give nothing back.

There are literally dozens of groups just like these, all wanting a slice of the pie at no cost to themselves.

To blame JUST the bankers is ludicrous.

Elected officials can be bribed because they want to be bribed.

Last edited:
This is why I don't vote at the national- level anymore. It only encourages them.

(snip)
The crash has laid bare many unpleasant truths about the United States. One of the most alarming, says a former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, is that the finance industry has effectively captured our government—a state of affairs that more typically describes emerging markets, and is at the center of many emerging-market crises. If the IMF’s staff could speak freely about the U.S., it would tell us what it tells all countries in this situation: recovery will fail unless we break the financial oligarchy that is blocking essential reform. And if we are to prevent a true depression, we’re running out of time.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yY6WSDBt7M"]Glenn Greenwald "The Finance Industry Has Captured Our Government" - YouTube[/ame]

In 2009 right up to today, the political class has made significant inroads into solidifying their power. They are nearly to the point where our elected seats will become hereditary. One has only to look at the beginning of this with the Kennedy's. Then the Bushes. Congressional Seats and Senate seats are nearly lifetime appointments, given to the newest member by the old guard quietly retiring on the taxpayers money, to live out their golden years in luxury.

How did this come about? People screamed about what they lost. And what they lost was money. Wall street grew and became bloated because the political class wants and needs power. So, they pump 85 billion dollars a month, fattening the coffers of business, but more importantly, keeping the pension funds of those special voters fully funded.

They write labor contract laws that put the taxpayer on the hook for any risk they incur, and give nothing back.

There are literally dozens of groups just like these, all wanting a slice of the pie at no cost to themselves.

Amazing that were so close to agreement. Diff is -- there are MORE powers that are bribable, then there used to be. Allowing the Feds to micromanage the marketplace and pick winners and losers just screams corruption. That and the fact that there is no place to hide from your party leadership for politicians with principles. Congress is literally run by 4 people. The 2 parties ekther cut corrupt deals or block all progress. We need to de-emphasize party and elect more independents, or start relying on 3rd parties to give shelter to pols with some morals and convictions.

(snip)
Glenn Greenwald "The Finance Industry Has Captured Our Government" - YouTube

Amazing that were so close to agreement. Diff is -- there are MORE powers that are bribable, then there used to be. Allowing the Feds to micromanage the marketplace and pick winners and losers just screams corruption. That and the fact that there is no place to hide from your party leadership for politicians with principles. Congress is literally run by 4 people. The 2 parties ekther cut corrupt deals or block all progress. We need to de-emphasize party and elect more independents, or start relying on 3rd parties to give shelter to pols with some morals and convictions.
I am to the point where I would support a Constitutional Amendment banning all political parties. If you want to run for office, then you better convince people of your character, your intent, and your vision and do it separate from any national party or organization.

Forum List

Back