Hey Fat Americans

Suburban car culture is toxic to health.

many Americans seem to have a pathological fear of walking more than the bare minimum.

It’s absurd to drive around a parking lot for ten minutes looking for a “good” spot because you’re afraid of walking a few hundred feet. Yet people do it all the time.

I've lived near a high school and middle school for decades; I don't see a lot of fat kids going to and from school, and most of the ones I have seen were some Latino and black kids.

The food and pharma conglomerates own the political class here in the US. We just got a bottle of Heinz ketchup from Canada. No corn syrup in the Canadian version.

Heinz Tomato Ketchup (America): Tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, natural flavoring. Heinz Tomato Ketchup (Canada): Tomato paste (from fresh, ripe tomatoes), sugar, vinegar, salt spices.

It is disgrace, especially the sugar and salt content even in canned vegetables. Fresh food prices in the produce section are also outrageous, so that is another problem as well.

There are several reasons for this. I have spent a decent amount of time in Europe over the last several years. In fact, I'm heading back over there for a couple of weeks next Saturday. I keep a strict diet here at home and track my calories and macros daily with MyFitnessPal, but when I travel, especially overseas, I just kind of wing it because it's too hard to do. Plus, part of the travel experience is the local food, which includes deserts, local liquors, etc, things I don't normally eat here at home.

Nonetheless, even though I'm not eating as cleanly I do tend to come back the same weight and sometimes I even lose a few pounds. The food is definitely part of it. Better ingredients, less processed shit (although you can definitely buy that stuff there), but also, people are more active too, which I think is a larger factor. People walk a lot more and bike a lot more and I definitely walk a lot more when I'm there. Trying to drive in the cities is a pain in the ass and in some countries, like Italy, it can be down right frightening because people there drive like shit. I think it's the different lifestyle overall that makes the difference, but it also depends on which countries you are talking about. The British, for example, are a bunch of fat pigs just like we are. I've also noticed more overweight people in Germany and The Netherlands, but in France and Spain you see hardly anyone overweight. It seems to be regional.

I have always been told that 100% California olive oil is the best kind ot buy here in the states and that's what I get, but it's expensive. The normal sized bottle will run you $20 at Target.

I saw a show and they said olives from Kalamata region of Greece are the best olives in the world. Not California or Italy. Maybe Cali olives are the best made in America? I went to Greece and you wouldn't believe how many olive farms there are. Everyone's got one. Some might only be the size of a lot you could put a home on, next to their home, but everyone either makes their own or knows someone who makes it. There is no butter. No cisco. No deep fried in the greece we use at fast food restaurants. I'm absolutely certain this is why Americans are fat and not living as long. GOOD Olive oil. I'm sure your Cali olive oil is great so keep it up.

And here's another difference between us and them. I don't think any one in Greece works an hour from their home. That would be a very long commute for them. So they aren't sitting in a car 2 hours a day. Plus they probably don't have a cush office job where they sit and type on the computer all day. So if they only work a half hour away or 15 minutes away, maybe they walk. Maybe they ride a bike. And a lot of Europeans use public transportation. Those buses don't pick you up at your home. You have to walk into town. Walk. Walk. Walk. If you need to go to the grocery store, you don't drive to it like you do here. You walk to it. I could walk to Kroger but it'd be a long walk. Their towns/communities are built different. Their way of life is more healthy.

America likes to SUPERSIZE it's fast food, that you drive to, then go home and play on the internet. We certainly don't get our 10,000 steps a day in. I do but only because I have a dog who makes me walk him.

We have choices. I wouldn't trade that for anything but with choices come responsibility. Eat natural foods. Eat "God Foods.". Your weight will never be a problem

Eat fewer calories than you are burning and you will never have a weight problem.

In case anyone actually cares, extra virgin means that the free fatty acid content is no mare than 0.8% and that no chemicals were used in the extraction of the oil from the olives.

Even when we go to Europe and eat a lot, we lose weight. Why?

An Active European Lifestyle

A common theme emerges in firsthand accounts of those who lost weight while vacationing in Europe: walking.

I agree. In Greece and German we walked a lot

Light on Processed Food, Heavy on Nutritional Food Labeling

Europe Banned Several Ingredients Commonly Found in American Foods. Regulations? A Greek food show explained how a lot of olive oil in American supermarkets aren't even worth eating. So not all olive oil is created equal. Extra virgin is good but even some brands only say extra virgin. Would you know how to tell?

Americans cook their foods in bad fats. BUTTER. I no longer do this. Now I only cook my eggs, saute my onions, make my salad dressing with extra virgin olive oil.
Years ago I did Couch Surfing. Two American lads stopped, tallish, holding a few lbs but by no means fat. One put a whacking deep pan pizza in the oven, I would probably manage a quarter. After he scoffed the lot, he stood up and said, "I'm off put another in" !!!!!

Man U were playing against Barcelona and the Americans were Man U supporters, so we went to the local pub to watch the game. There's a big chicken wing bucket for two with bread. One of the guys ordered that, scoffed the lot, then ordered more bread to mop the rest up.

When I first went to America, gobsmacked by McDonalds super size meal. Saw a guy sit there demolish one and I'm sure the drink was best part of a gallon.

The olive oil must also be cold pressed as I understand it. Walking is a big deal. The body needs motion and activity. We can't all go to the gym but most of us can walk. Cut out late night eating, try intermittent fasting. All of it helps to keep our system clean and ensures our body uses fat as fuel. Don't go for low fat alone as it ofteb meas more sugar.and sodium, find "good fats", natural and less processed foods. Veggies with healthy dip or hummus is far betternthan potato chips

The olive oil must also be cold pressed as I understand it. Walking is a big deal. The body needs motion and activity. We can't all go to the gym but most of us can walk. Cut out late night eating, try intermittent fasting. All of it helps to keep our system clean and ensures our body uses fat as fuel. Don't go for low fat alone as it ofteb meas more sugar.and sodium, find "good fats", natural and less processed foods. Veggies with healthy dip or hummus is far betternthan potato chips
For me the secret is eat foods you don’t like then you won’t overeat. My dad makes me these big old salads. I hate them. Lol So I eat three chicken legs with that salad and I’m full. And don’t have things in the house to munch on.

The hummus and chips is a bad idea for me. I love that shit. I’ll eat all the chips and hummus.

Years ago I did Couch Surfing. Two American lads stopped, tallish, holding a few lbs but by no means fat. One put a whacking deep pan pizza in the oven, I would probably manage a quarter. After he scoffed the lot, he stood up and said, "I'm off put another in" !!!!!

Man U were playing against Barcelona and the Americans were Man U supporters, so we went to the local pub to watch the game. There's a big chicken wing bucket for two with bread. One of the guys ordered that, scoffed the lot, then ordered more bread to mop the rest up.

When I first went to America, gobsmacked by McDonalds super size meal. Saw a guy sit there demolish one and I'm sure the drink was best part of a gallon.
Interesting to see this article after we discussed this last week

Everything within 15 minutes of your home. We used to live like this until blacks started moving to our neighborhoods in Detroit. To get away from them we moved to Metro Detroit. From that point on, we all drive 1/2 hour to an hour to work every day. Very few people can walk to where they work.

Plus in America we only last at one company for on average 5 years. No one wants to move every5 years.

But less gas means less spending money on gas and less pollution. Less global warming. So lower spending, pollution and improve your health and finances. The four reasons to move to the 15 minute city.

Even when we go to Europe and eat a lot, we lose weight. Why?

An Active European Lifestyle

A common theme emerges in firsthand accounts of those who lost weight while vacationing in Europe: walking.

I agree. In Greece and German we walked a lot

Light on Processed Food, Heavy on Nutritional Food Labeling

Europe Banned Several Ingredients Commonly Found in American Foods. Regulations? A Greek food show explained how a lot of olive oil in American supermarkets aren't even worth eating. So not all olive oil is created equal. Extra virgin is good but even some brands only say extra virgin. Would you know how to tell?

Americans cook their foods in bad fats. BUTTER. I no longer do this. Now I only cook my eggs, saute my onions, make my salad dressing with extra virgin olive oil.

Real butter is good. Margerine is toxic. I use quite a bit of olive oil, eat fish, vegetables, nuts, fruits, no processed or fat foods, no sugars. Ive been eating that way for 25 years. Vegetables and fruits are the best medicine.

I have to disagree with you. This whole thread is about how badly us Americans eat.

What did Let's Move accomplish?

Transformed the school food environment through the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which updated school meal nutrition standards for the first time in 15 years and increased funding for the first time in 30 years.

What did Kennedy do again? Anything close to what Michelle accomplished?

Did her program work? Nope. We're still fat fucks.

Despite its goal, the Let's Move! initiative did not cause a decline in obesity rates. In 2008, 68% of Americans were either overweight or obese. By 2016, that number jumped to 71.2%.

And then there's Trump
View attachment 838212

View attachment 838213

View attachment 838214

Terrible role model.

Some people have good genes.

Suburban car culture is toxic to health.

many Americans seem to have a pathological fear of walking more than the bare minimum.

It’s absurd to drive around

1697812988561.png
a parking lot for ten minutes looking for a “good” spot because you’re afraid of walking a few hundred feet. Yet people do it all the time.
O O O Ozympic
1697812988152.png

1697813123860.png

1697813165733.png

Forum List

Back