Highway Toll Hell: Trump Plan Pushes Fees

The reason we're seeing this bizarre infrastructure non-plan coming out is simple. The Congress doesn't have the money to fund a real plan, and most of the GOP took a blood oath to never raise taxes.
I’m kind of wondering where the trillion from eight years ago went. We should be driving on some sweet ass roads by now don’t you think?

What trillion? Be specific.

If you like tolls visit Okiehoma...They love gouging the motorist..
Or Kansas. Kinda crazy how the gas tax money is spent elsewhere.

Orlando has all those states beat. They are everywhere in Orlando.

BUT...before we had interstates we had thruways, parkways, turnpikes
and they were all toll roads.

All roads lead to Rome. It's up to the driver...he can opt to get to Rome in
3 hours on some two-lane road...or in 1 hour on a toll road. You go the
way you can afford.

The reason we're seeing this bizarre infrastructure non-plan coming out is simple. The Congress doesn't have the money to fund a real plan, and most of the GOP took a blood oath to never raise taxes.

Great, it's not their freaking job anyway.

Well then I guess Trump should not have spent 2 years lying by pretending that it is.

You act like Trump is alone on this one, hint, he's not. All federal politicians claim unconstitutional spending is their job.

Do You Like Paying Tolls? You’re Gonna Love Trump’s Infrastructure Plan

The proposal would allow more states to toll interstate highways.

WASHINGTON ― If you like paying tolls, you’re going to love Donald Trump’s infrastructure plan.

The president’s long-awaited $1.5 trillion proposal, which was released Monday, seeks to leverage $200 billion in direct federal spending over the next decade into an additional $1.3 trillion by relying on state and local tax dollars, as well as private investment.

One way to attract private investors to finance infrastructure projects would be to toll roads. Trump’s infrastructure plan would give states more flexibility to toll existing interstate highways ― under the rationale that if you use a road, you ought to pay a price in order to maintain it.

“Tolling restrictions foreclose what might otherwise serve as a major source of revenue for infrastructure investment,” Trump’s plan reads. “Providing states flexibility to toll existing Interstates would generate additional revenues for states to invest in surface transportation infrastructure.”

Adding fees on existing highways isn’t exactly a popular move, however. A statewide push to privatize highways in Texas suffered a backlash from angry commuters, who complained about exorbitant late fees and costly toll bills. In December, the state’s transportation officials voted against constructing new toll roads after opposition from Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R).

More: Do You Like Paying Tolls? You're Gonna Love Trump's Infrastructure Plan

Personally, I'm against toll roads. What do you think?
A truly ridiculous plan.

Well then I guess Trump should not have spent 2 years lying by pretending that it is.

You act like Trump is alone on this one, hint, he's not. All federal politicians claim unconstitutional spending is their job.

What you think should be unconstitutional and what is unconstitutional are two importantly different things.

If you want to argue the think part, I would argue that the health of our infrastructure is a key component of the national economy's wellbeing,

and therefore is a legitimate vital national interest.

What you think should be unconstitutional and what is unconstitutional are two importantly different things.

If you want to argue the think part, I would argue that the health of our infrastructure is a key component of the national economy's wellbeing,

....and in the very next tread you'll scream that he is spending too much on it.

Since businesses are the biggest beneficiaries of a good infrastructure,

instead of cutting corporate taxes we should have directed that now lost revenue into our infrastructure - to the benefit of business.

I’m kind of wondering where the trillion from eight years ago went. We should be driving on some sweet ass roads by now don’t you think?

The almost trillion obozo spent in a year and unemployment went up from 7.8% to 9.8%

....and in the very next tread you'll scream that he is spending too much on it.

Stop lying and stop making stupid posts. Please.

The almost trillion obozo spent in a year and unemployment went up from 7.8% to 9.8%

Again...when did Obama spend a trillion dollars on infrastructure?

Since businesses are the biggest beneficiaries of a good infrastructure,

instead of cutting corporate taxes we should have directed that now lost revenue into our infrastructure - to the benefit of business.

Prove it will be lost revenue nostradumbass, will this be like your prediction Hillary would sweep trump?

Stop lying and stop making stupid posts. Please.

It's exactly what you'll do, and when you do I'll quote it.

Feel free to point where the Constitution gives the federal government the power over the economy.

Thanks to Jugheads 19 trillion, spot on brother.

Do You Like Paying Tolls? You’re Gonna Love Trump’s Infrastructure Plan

The proposal would allow more states to toll interstate highways.

WASHINGTON ― If you like paying tolls, you’re going to love Donald Trump’s infrastructure plan.

The president’s long-awaited $1.5 trillion proposal, which was released Monday, seeks to leverage $200 billion in direct federal spending over the next decade into an additional $1.3 trillion by relying on state and local tax dollars, as well as private investment.

One way to attract private investors to finance infrastructure projects would be to toll roads. Trump’s infrastructure plan would give states more flexibility to toll existing interstate highways ― under the rationale that if you use a road, you ought to pay a price in order to maintain it.

“Tolling restrictions foreclose what might otherwise serve as a major source of revenue for infrastructure investment,” Trump’s plan reads. “Providing states flexibility to toll existing Interstates would generate additional revenues for states to invest in surface transportation infrastructure.”

Adding fees on existing highways isn’t exactly a popular move, however. A statewide push to privatize highways in Texas suffered a backlash from angry commuters, who complained about exorbitant late fees and costly toll bills. In December, the state’s transportation officials voted against constructing new toll roads after opposition from Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R).

More: Do You Like Paying Tolls? You're Gonna Love Trump's Infrastructure Plan

Personally, I'm against toll roads. What do you think?

I'll admit... It is counter intuitive, considering Trump's general philosophy of economic nationalism / interstate capitalism ... When your right your right! (for a 1st time, that is)

Forum List

Back