History Quiz

USViking said:
That rules out Peter, Wendy, Capt. Hook, and Tinkerbell.

Thanks for the great hint.
:kiss2:
Peter, Wendy, Capt. Hook, and Tinkerbell. One of these is very close to the name!

USViking said:
I don't think I can come up with this one on my own fair and square.

Well then you should have looked it up and said so! :laugh: That's the 'new rules'. Thomas Hooker! Woohoo!!!

Kathianne said:
Well then you should have looked it up and said so! :laugh: That's the 'new rules'. Thomas Hooker! Woohoo!!!
Sticking with early American history:

This woman kept bringing water and relief to the soldiers in the searing heat at the Battle of Monmouth, a battle in which her husband was wounded. She was given her 'notable' name as a result of this service.

Well I think you can call me "our Dutch friend" now, the other one seems to be banned.

Name the plane that dropped the first atom bomb on Hiroshima. Extra points for getting the name of the pilot's mother.

IControlThePast said:
Well I think you can call me "our Dutch friend" now, the other one seems to be banned.

Name the plane that dropped the first atom bomb on Hiroshima. Extra points for getting the name of the pilot's mother.

Enola Gay

Mrs. Tibbets :teeth:

Kathianne said:
Enola Gay

Mrs. Tibbets :teeth:
Well our Dutch friend didn't say correct or not, so I'll assume it is. Back to the other question:

kathianne said:
Sticking with early American history:

This woman kept bringing water and relief to the soldiers in the searing heat at the Battle of Monmouth, a battle in which her husband was wounded. She was given her 'notable' name as a result of this service.

Kathianne said:
Well our Dutch friend didn't say correct or not, so I'll assume it is. Back to the other question:
Slightly tricky question- "Enola Gay" was Tibbets' mother's name.

Another blank for me on Mrs. Notable.

IControlThePast said:
Well her maiden name was Enola Gay, and you are right.

I wondered that! Thought though perhaps it was his mother's first and middle names. (I love learning things like that! Thanks.

USViking said:
Slightly tricky question- "Enola Gay" was Tibbets' mother's name.

Another blank for me on Mrs. Notable.

Blank for me too. According to my history books women didn't even exist until they are first mentioned in the early 1900s :D

IControlThePast said:
Blank for me too. According to my history books women didn't even exist until they are first mentioned in the early 1900s :D

Two blanks? Oh my!

Hint: remember where battles were fought during the Revolutionary war, regarding locations.

Should I give it to you guys?

Kathianne said:
Two blanks? Oh my!

Hint: remember where battles were fought during the Revolutionary war, regarding locations.

Should I give it to you guys?

I'm not going to get it. In the history I was taught women weren't given their fair share, at least not until the age of Susan B. Anthony, Stanton, Mann, Dix, etc.

IControlThePast said:
I'm not going to get it. In the history I was taught women weren't given their fair share, at least not until the age of Susan B. Anthony, Stanton, Mann, Dix, etc.

Molly Pitcher. Named for the water pitcher she brought to the battlefield, over and over again.

One for the Europeans:

This man was under-secretary of war in London when Paris fell. His counter attack on the Germans at the beginning of the attack on France, was one of the few bright spots of the French military.

Kathianne said:
Molly Pitcher. Named for the water pitcher she brought to the battlefield, over and over again.

One for the Europeans:

This man was under-secretary of war in London when Paris fell. His counter attack on the Germans at the beginning of the attack on France, was one of the few bright spots of the French military.
DeGaulle led a counterattack which achieved local success.
I am not sure about the under-secretary part.

USViking said:
DeGaulle led a counterattack which achieved local success.
I am not sure about the under-secretary part.

Right you are! (Hey, you are not a closet Euro? :laugh: Maybe that Viking part???)

Ask a question!

Kathianne said:
Right you are! (Hey, you are not a closet Euro? :laugh: Maybe that Viking part???)

Ask a question!
I ain't a closet anything.

German general who initially devised the strategy for the 1940 French campaign (ie diversion in force on the west flank into Belgium, followed by primary assault with most armor in the center of the front, through the Ardennes region).

Forum List

Back