History Quiz

USSR commander IN the city of Stalingrad itself during the entire campaign;
he would later command forces which took part in taking Berlin.

Said1 said:
Zhukov (did I spell it right this time?)
No; good answer, but don't think Zhukov was ever in the city during the battle. He was much higher ranking. He was one of those who devised the encirclement strategy which led to the destruction of German forces in Stalingrad, and he was overall CIC of USSR froces which took Berlin, again outranking the former Stalingrad CIC.

USViking said:
No; good answer, but don't think Zhukov was ever in the city during the battle. He was much higher ranking. He was one of those who devised the encirclement strategy which led to the destruction of German forces in Stalingrad, and he was overall CIC of USSR froces which took Berlin, again outranking the former Stalingrad CIC.

Right, right. The only other person I can think of at the moment is Yezhov. :D

ps: I know that's wrong - The Yezhovshina.

Ran to get a WWII book, found this guy in Berlin from Soviets:

Vasily Chuikov

I pass the question, if that is correct, I need to get to bed! Night all.

Said1 said:
I know that. :slap:

The Yezhovshina is another name for "The Great Purge" in the late 30's, named after him.
I know you know it- you were the one who mentioned it. And stop hitting me.

Please ask a question for Kathianne- she's gone to bed.

USViking said:
I know you know it- you were the one who mentioned it. And stop hitting me.

Please ask a question for Kathianne- she's gone to bed.

What regiment did Zhukov command? Easy enough?

And I'll stop hitting you when I'm good and ready. :tng:

Said1 said:
What regiment did Zhukov command? Easy enough?
Regiment!? He commanded millions of men- maybe more than a thousand regiments. What the Germans called "Army Groups", the USSR called "Fronts", is I think the correct terminology. And I can't recall the name of the Front Zhukov was in charge of.

So please clarify.

And I'll stop hitting you when I'm good and ready. :tng:
B-a-a-d women around here!

USViking said:
Regiment!? He commanded millions of men- maybe more than a thousand regiments. What the Germans called "Army Groups", the USSR called "Fronts", is I think the correct terminology. And I can't recall the name of the Front Zhukov was in charge of.

So please clarify.

I think you're over reacting. Guess?

Said1 said:
And I probably meant division. Oh well, it was a late one last night. :D
He may have commanded over 100 divisions on V-E day.

Not much of a clarification.

"Late one", huh?- I hope nothing you did winds up in the newspapers.

USViking said:
He may have commanded over 100 divisions on V-E day.

Not much of a clarification.

"Late one", huh?- I hope nothing you did winds up in the newspapers.

Whatever. I think you can figure it out if you think about it. You'll probably catch me on terminology quite often.

Do a search if you must.

Everything I do winds up in the papers. One of the downsides of being famous I guess.

Said1 said:
Whatever. I think you can figure it out if you think about it. You'll probably catch me on terminology quite often.

Do a search if you must.
How about the 1st Belorussian?

Everything I do winds up in the papers. One of the downsides of being famous I guess.
"Famous" or "notorious"?

USViking said:
How about the 1st Belorussian?

"Famous" or "notorious"?

Since I didn't word the question properly, I'll give the answer. Cavalry is the answer I had in mind.

Famous & notorious. What can I say I'm a legend!

Said1 said:
Since I didn't word the question properly, I'll give the answer. Cavalry is the answer I had in mind.
The future WW2 general did serve in the Czar's cavalry in WW1. Maybe he rose to regimental command then, or during the Russian Civil War.

I think the phrase "branch of service" is what you were looking for (others in the army being infantry, artillery, engineering, signals, armor, medical, and probably others I forget or don't know of).

I know you think I'm pedantic and stuffy. Sometimes I am. Tough.

Famous & notorious. What can I say I'm a legend!
This sounds like it outa' be good.

Please post, PM, or e-mail press clippings.

Question:
Wife of Augustus. Some Roman historians, writing well after the fact, blacken her reputation. The Cambridge Ancient History, however, has labeled these accusations "nonsense".

Forum List

Back