History Quiz

USViking said:
How about the Seminole?

I did a little research just to see what I can find online and from what I can find, perhaps find the exact answer I am looking for might be a bit difficult since there are so many "stories" and "myths" that have been floated about a number of tribes.

Growing up in Texas we were taught that the Karankawa Indians were the only cannibals in North America. They were wiped out in the 1860's. They were large people and many of the males reached heights of 7 feet tall. It is thought they may be related to the Caribe's. They lived in southeast Texas along the coastline.

freeandfun1 said:
I did a little research just to see what I can find online and from what I can find, perhaps find the exact answer I am looking for might be a bit difficult since there are so many "stories" and "myths" that have been floated about a number of tribes.

Growing up in Texas we were taught that the Karankawa Indians were the only cannibals in North America. They were wiped out in the 1860's. They were large people and many of the males reached heights of 7 feet tall. It is thought they may be related to the Caribe's. They lived in southeast Texas along the coastline.
That's interesting. I had never heard of the Karankawa.

USViking said:
That's interesting. I had never heard of the Karankawa.

I guess technically, there were two tribes. Them and the Tonkawa. But they shared the same lands, etc. so some consider them the same tribe, just split. Some don't. The Tonkawa were known to eat pieces of the "white-men" they encountered in battles, but frankly, that was common among many tribes. But the Karankawa were cannibalistic even in their rituals. As mentioned, it is suspected they are related to the Caribe Indians of the Caribbean, but it also thought they might be remnants of the Aztec.

These are a group of heresies that grew out of attempts to 'simplify' the explanation of Christ's relationship within the concept of 'God', especially relating to the Trinity and The Father.

Kathianne said:
These are a group of heresies that grew out of attempts to 'simplify' the explanation of Christ's relationship within the concept of 'God', especially relating to the Trinity and The Father.
Arianism? It makes God a sort of precessor to Christ.

USViking said:
Arianism? It makes God a sort of precessor to Christ.

It's sort of right, I was thinking specifically of gnoticism.

Kathianne said:
It's sort of right, I was thinking specifically of gnoticism.
I did a paper on gnosticism decades ago.

Can recall absolutely nothing about it,
but I do not think it was related to Arianism.

I do recall from the class that they had a system
of magic words, which were needed to get through
doors in the spiritual world.

The most famous of these words was "abracadabra".

Anyway, I think I'll pass it back to you for another question.
I don't feel worthy enough yet.

USViking said:
I did a paper on gnosticism decades ago.

Can recall absolutely nothing about it,
but I do not think it was related to Arianism.

I do recall from the class that they had a system
of magic words, which were needed to get through
doors in the spiritual world.

The most famous of these words was "abracadabra".

Anyway, I think I'll pass it back to you for another question.
I don't feel worthy enough yet.

Arianism came later, with the barbarians-I think especially the Visigoths, but in any case it was heresy. The gnostics were earlier, St. Thomas Aquinas was raised with gnostic beliefs.

Ok, gotta think of another, had something awhile ago.

Religious themes for $100 :laugh: good luck collecting...

This philosophy/religion/belief system concentrates on the natural flow of the Cosmos. Nature follows this, humans naturally go against it...Many of the founders of the US subscribed to this...

Kathianne said:
Religious themes for $100 :laugh: good luck collecting...

This philosophy/religion/belief system concentrates on the natural flow of the Cosmos. Nature follows this, humans naturally go against it...Many of the founders of the US subscribed to this...
The founders' religious beliefs were Deist.

I thought that was when God made the world,
then let it run without interference, except maybe
for an occasional revelation through prophets.

USViking said:
The founders' religious beliefs were Deist.

I thought that was when God made the world,
then let it run without interference, except maybe
for an occasional revelation through prophets.

You are right, I wasn't thinking. The correct answer to the question would have been Daoist, but wrong answer for founders. Thanks, you should get 2 questions off that.

USViking said:
Archbishop of Canterbury under Henry VIII and his son Edward VI (#?); Bloody Mary sent him to the stake.

arrggg! Bits and pieces, keep thinking the name will come...

He was Catholic, disagreed with Henry. Then came to agree with idea that Communion was 'just representation, not transubstantiation.' Mary wanted him killed, he racanted, then found he'd die anyways, so recanted the recant...

Thomas Crammer? Krammer?

Kathianne said:
arrggg! Bits and pieces, keep thinking the name will come...

He was Catholic, disagreed with Henry. Then came to agree with idea that Communion was 'just representation, not transubstantiation.' Mary wanted him killed, he racanted, then found he'd die anyways, so recanted the recant...

Thomas Crammer? Krammer?

Close enough- Cranmer.

At the stake he put his right hand, the one "which offended" by signing the recantation, into the fire first, and kept it there, supposedly.

I think, though, he was compliant with the theology Henry wanted.

Regardless (NOT "irregardless") your question.

USViking said:
Close enough- Cranmer.

At the stake he put his right hand, the one "which offended" by signing the recantation, into the fire first, and kept it there, supposedly.

I think, though, he was compliant with the theology Henry wanted.

Regardless (NOT "irregardless") your question.

I didn't know about the 'hand' thing-cool fact. I'm really liking what you all know.

Ok, this man was notoriously prejudiced in these here parts, especially against the Irish Catholics. He also was one of the most generous employers of his time. He served the US bravely in WWI, though he was a son of privilege.

Kathianne said:
I didn't know about the 'hand' thing-cool fact. I'm really liking what you all know.

Ok, this man was notoriously prejudiced in these here parts, especially against the Irish Catholics. He also was one of the most generous employers of his time. He served the US bravely in WWI, though he was a son of privilege.
You're in New England?

Hm- I am not sure I can even hazard an educated guess.
It'll have to be a wild guess.

Here's to good old Boston,
The land of the bean and the cod,

Where the Lowells speak only to the Cabots,
And the Cabots speak only to God.

Lowell!

USViking said:
You're in New England?

Hm- I am not sure I can even hazard an educated guess.
It'll have to be a wild guess.

Here's to good old Boston,
The land of the bean and the cod,

Where the Lowells speak only to the Cabots,
And the Cabots speak only to God.

Lowell!

Whoops sorry, nope Chicago. Boston was a class trip!

Forum List

Back