History Quiz

(For the answer to my question : the Ottoman Empire didn't count, he was not really in Europe, and at this time, Constantinople has just fell. - 1453 - .
England : no, they lost the 100 Years war, so lose of might, and they had the Two Roses war.
The Habsburgs : no, the first great Habsburg is Charles Quint, Charles V of Spain if you prefer. But the might of the Habsburgs came from the succession of Charles Quint's parents. And in this succession there is the country you had to search : BURGUNDY.
the Duchy of Burgundy was, according to a lot of Historians, the mightiest State at this time.
They lost the 100 years war also, but they extend their initial possession : after the defeat of Poitiers in 1356, the King Jean II Le Bon (the good) gave to his second son Philippe (the first will be Charles V le sage - the Wise - ) the duchy of Burgundy, because Philippe helped his father during the battle. He became the first Duke of the second house of Burgundy. HIs son Jean exetnd the domain, the son of Jean, Philippe, also, and the son of Philippe, Charles, also. Charles was the last duke of Burgundy, he died in 1477 during the siege of Nancy (Lorraine)
when he died, the king of France, Louis XI, took back the Duchy, but the "new" possesion of Burundy, the conquest, were not taken (it's not the feodal law), then the daughter of Charles kept them, and when she get married with Maximilian of Austria, the domain was the junction of the Burgundy cnquest and Austria. They had a son, Philippe, who got married with the daughter of the Spanish king, and their son was Charles Quint

map-charles5-spain.gif

the purple domain are the Burgundy conquest kept by the daughter of Charles, duke of Burgundy.
So, with this succession you understand why Spain with Charles Quint had so many possession around France.

My problem with Burgundy is that at the peak of its strength it was completley thrashed at least twice by the Swiss, who, come to think of it, would be an excellent candidate for one of the most two powerful states of the day. Prior to defeating and killing Charles of Burgundy, they had twice decisively defeated HRE forces sent against them.

yes, the swiss were excellent, and won several time agains Burgundy. But all the same, the might of Charles was great (the second possible answer was France, if you said that Burgundy was lead by the youngest line of the capetians, and that Burgundy was a vassal of France : so, French territory ruled by French....But Burgundy was a best answer ;) )

The swiss infantry...where, and when, this excellent army was defeated, and by whom(who ?), for the first time, when everybody considered them as incincible ?

padisha emperor said:
yes, the swiss were excellent, and won several time agains Burgundy. But all the same, the might of Charles was great (the second possible answer was France, if you said that Burgundy was lead by the youngest line of the capetians, and that Burgundy was a vassal of France : so, French territory ruled by French....But Burgundy was a best answer ;) )
I still can't go along with Burgundy. Their defeats, and the speedy dissolution of the state after the final defeat by the Swiss and the death of their king are evidence of fundamental weakness.

Both France and the HRE, on the other hand, were strong and growing in strength.

As for the Ottoman Empire, it had conquered Greece, Serbia, and Albania prior to the fall of Constantinople, and should already have been considered a European power as well as an Asian one.

The swiss infantry...where, and when, this excellent army was defeated, and by whom(who ?), for the first time, when everybody considered them as incincible ?
I don't know this; I'll look it up later if no one else gets it.

USViking said:
As for the Ottoman Empire, it had conquered Greece, Serbia, and Albania prior to the fall of Constantinople, and should already have been considered a European power as well as an Asian one.

They were still very much a threat to Europe, but not really a part of Europe.

padisha emperor said:

Let's see, Battle of Marigniano? I'll guess 1516, and the best "who" I can remember is by the French.

If that's correct enough I'll post my question because I won't be back for a while:

What German General carried out a mass genocide of the Herero people in Africa?

IControlThePast said:
Let's see, Battle of Marigniano? I'll guess 1516, and the best "who" I can remember is by the French.

If that's correct enough I'll post my question because I won't be back for a while:

Crap,I forget his name. He was German, is that close enough? :D

Said1 said:
Crap,I forget his name. He was German, is that close enough? :D

Almost :cof: If you guys want a hint:

There's the von, then the first syllable sounds like what pigs eat out of, the second syllable is the Egyptian Sun God.

IControlThePast said:

Von Trotha? (sp)?

What is the name of the only tribe of known cannibals to have existed in the USA? They were also known to be up to seven feet tall.

freeandfun1 said:
What is the name of the only tribe of known cannibals to have existed in the USA? They were also known to be up to seven feet tall.
I recall reading once somewhere that the Kwakiutl
of the Pacific Northwest practised cannibalism.
The article did not mention such height, though.

USViking said:
I recall reading once somewhere that the Kwakiutl
of the Pacific Northwest practised cannibalism.
The article did not mention such height, though.

Well, that is NOT the tribe I am thinking of. The only one I have ever heard of in the US that practiced Cannibalism was from the south.

Forum List

Back