University of South Alabama shuts down DEI office

That would only happen if the Asian is a better player, they are not going to recruite an Asian that can't play. See how that works? It's funny how folks don't bitch about the football team being 85% black or the basketball team bring 100% black.
If the football team or basketball team lays out a goal of 30 percent Asians and/or a combination of other under represented groups must comprise the team, the 30 percent goal will usurp the qualifications of the player.

No, it just makes up for white privilege.

Otherwise, you have all these unqualified whites getting in because of legacies, family of staff, or because their parent wrote out a big check.
not necessarily. To insure standards and quality are met, enforce them across the board. Do audits and compliance checks.

not necessarily. To insure standards and quality are met, enforce them across the board. Do audits and compliance checks.
Again, who gets to determine "quality"?

A perfect SAT and GPA don't necessarily prove quality.

Who is more impressive, a black kid who scores a 1500 on his SAT despite coming from an underfunded school district, or a white kid who scores a 1550 after his parents hired an SAT coach to help him practice?

Who is more impressive, a black kid who scores a 1500 on his SAT despite coming from an underfunded school district, or a white kid who scores a 1550 after his parents hired an SAT coach to help him practice?

Of course, that is really what is going on. The gap for DEI hires and college admission is FAR greater than that.

What qualifies as "best"?

Someone I know scored a perfect 1600 on her SAT and had a high GPA, but she completely washed out in the first year of university.

First year at university? You are picking up the EU lingo now in addition to their far-left policies?

What qualifies as "best"?

Someone I know scored a perfect 1600 on her SAT and had a high GPA, but she completely washed out in the first year of university.
Being the best at what at what you do. I know people that aced their sat, but have absolutely no common sense. Prove you can do the job you're applying for.

Economic hardships can apply regardless of race.

Of course, that is really what is going on. The gap for DEI hires and college admission is FAR greater than that.

is it, though? The problem with GPA and SAT is that they are just another expression of white privilege.

First year at university? You are picking up the EU lingo now in addition to their far-left policies?
There's a reason why if you want a character to sound smart, you give him a British Accent, and if you want him to sound dumb, you give him a Southern one.

How so? Are you saying there are not enough Asians that can play basketball?
Not at all. I’m saying when you put a higher premium on DEI, you may not get the best. Consider this: a college basketball team has 12 slots. Nine are Black, 2 are white. There is one slot left and comes down to a Black player and an Asian player. The Black Player is slightly better than the Asian Player. Both are vying for a position as a shooting guard.

Which player should the team take? DEI says to take the Asian Player in this situation.

That would only happen if the Asian is a better player, they are not going to recruite an Asian that can't play. See how that works? It's funny how folks don't bitch about the football team being 85% black or the basketball team bring 100% black.

I agree. It's funny how you never complain about those things, but when the Minnesota Timberwolves became "too white" so called black "leaders" in the Twin Cities sure had something to say about it.

Not at all. I’m saying when you put a higher premium on DEI, you may not get the best. Consider this: a college basketball team has 12 slots. Nine are Black, 2 are white. There is one slot left and comes down to a Black player and an Asian player. The Black Player is slightly better than the Asian Player. Both are vying for a position as a shooting guard.

Which player should the team take? DEI says to take the Asian Player in this situation.
And if there was a greater social good for doing that, I'd be all for it.

there is a social good for DEI, in that it creates opportunity and hope.

there is a social good for DEI, in that it creates opportunity and hope.
Not if it compromises standards. If a doctor operating me got moved up and into the field for DEI social good over performance and skills sets, how good is that for professional good.

Forum List

Back