History Quiz

ooops, it seems that there was already a question. Sorry USviking.

No, it's not Turenne.

Hint : his job was to biuld and organize the fortifications. HIs new kind of fortification was a revolution in the art of war.

padisha emperor said:
ooops, it seems that there was already a question. Sorry USviking.

No, it's not Turenne.

Hint : his job was to biuld and organize the fortifications. HIs new kind of fortification was a revolution in the art of war.
Vauban?

USViking said:
I googled, and M. Vauban fits the description.

Question:
French President at the time of the 1938 Munich crisis.

When he returned home to cheering crowds he is supposed to have said:
"What are these fools cheering about?"

French President at the time of the 1938 Munich crisis.

When he returned home to cheering crowds he is supposed to have said:
"What are these fools cheering about?"

At this time the President of the Republic was Albert Lebrun, but the man who went to Munich, in 1938, the man with the reral power, was the President of the Council - PrimeMinister - Edouard Daladier.

padisha emperor said:
At this time the President of the Republic was Albert Lebrun, but the man who went to Munich, in 1938, the man with the reral power, was the President of the Council - PrimeMinister - Edouard Daladier.
Daladier was the one I was looking for.

That's what I thought too ;)

well....

Battle, middle of the XVIIIth.

French against English (that's very original !)
The french Army's chief said this famous words : "Messrs English, shoot the first !" ("messieurs les Anglais, tirez les premiers").

Famous Battle.

padisha emperor said:
That's what I thought too ;)

well....

Battle, middle of the XVIIIth.

French against English (that's very original !)
The french Army's chief said this famous words : "Messrs English, shoot the first !" ("messieurs les Anglais, tirez les premiers").

Famous Battle.
Middle of the 18th would rule out Blenheim.

I'm afraid the only other land battle I can think of would be Quebec, on the Plain of Abraham, where both commanders fell during the British victory.

There was another battle in which George II was the last British monarch to serve in combat. Can't recall the name.

I'm afraid the only other land battle I can think of would be Quebec, on the Plain of Abraham, where both commanders fell during the British victory.

There is a lot : Blenheim(1704) (english victory), , Quebec (1759) (english victory), Fort Carillon(1758) (french victory), Malplaquet (1709) (english victory), Denain (1712) (french victory), Villaviciosa (1710) (french victory), Höchstädt(1703) (french victory), Friedlingen (1702) (french victory), Lawfeld (1747) (french victory)...and lot of others ;)

The Searched battle took place in 1745.
French victory.
French leader : Maréchal de Saxe.

begins with a "F"

padisha emperor said:
There is a lot : Blenheim(1704) (english victory), , Quebec (1759) (english victory), Fort Carillon(1758) (french victory), Malplaquet (1709) (english victory), Denain (1712) (french victory), Villaviciosa (1710) (french victory), Höchstädt(1703) (french victory), Friedlingen (1702) (french victory), Lawfeld (1747) (french victory)...and lot of others ;)

The Searched battle took place in 1745.
French victory.
French leader : Maréchal de Saxe.

begins with a "F"
Google: Fontenoy

Question:
The mother of this future military great was compromised during the Affair of the Poisons, and had to flee France.

(The Affair of the Poisons was a stupendous scandal which rocked the court of Loius XIV. Several hundred people, including intimates of the king, were accused of plotting to poison rivals, and administer secret love potions, the king himself being a target. Dozens were executed, imprisoned, or exiled. The king's ex-favorite girlfriend (and mother of several of his children, I believe) had to spend the rest of her life in a nunnery.)

the women I know compromised in the Poisons affair, like La Voisin, La Brinvilliers, have been their heads cutted off, they didn't flee France.

The favourite of the king you mentionned was Mme de Montespan..

I don't see other people.

padisha emperor said:
the women I know compromised in the Poisons affair, like La Voisin, La Brinvilliers, have been their heads cutted off, they didn't flee France.

The favourite of the king you mentionned was Mme de Montespan..

I don't see other people.
Olympe Mancini, mother of Prince Eugen of Savoy, had to flee because of the scandal. I do not know the details of her involvement.

As a young man Eugen first applied for a commision in the French army. He was turned down, I would think due to his mother's disgrace.

Helas!- if France had had his services!

Go ahead with another question.

great question, USViking. Really interseting !!!

I ignore it ! I only knew that here sister was loved by the King.

The Prince Eugène was a great military, true. Fortunalty he was defeated at Denain by Villars.

well...

King of the Pontus-Euxinus, he's responsible of the massacre of 80,000 Romans. (period : about 90-80 before JC)

padisha emperor said:
great question, USViking. Really interseting !!!

I ignore it ! I only knew that here sister was loved by the King.

The Prince Eugène was a great military, true. Fortunalty he was defeated at Denain by Villars.

well...

King of the Pontus-Euxinus, he's responsible of the massacre of 80,000 Romans. (period : about 90-80 before JC)
Mithridates?

exactly !

USV tell me to ask a new question if he was right, so...

This germanic tribe came after the fall of the Roamn Empire in the ancient Imperial territories.
Their name comes from one of their anatomy's detail (for their beard)

Their king had an iron crown

padisha emperor said:
exactly !

USV tell me to ask a new question if he was right, so...

This germanic tribe came after the fall of the Roamn Empire in the ancient Imperial territories.
Their name comes from one of their anatomy's detail (for their beard)

Their king had an iron crown

PE, The Lombards?

padisha emperor said:
;)

your turn !

(just for you, I tried to ask a question, which was not about a battle :D )
Padisha, very nice of you!

Staying with the Barbarians, :) , (guess I started this with the Celts), this tribe created a huge kingdom that was overrun by the Huns, their freedom was not returned until the death of Attila.

Decided that a bit more info was in order. Though Barbarian, they fought other barbarian tribes, eventually turning into Arian Christians, starting up more problems with the Roman Catholics. ;) , (these certainly weren't easy times! :laugh: )

Forum List

Back