History Quiz

Question:
Republican Spain's entire gold stocks wound up here as a result of the Civil War.[/QUOTE]

would that be Cuba?

USViking said:
Somewhere in Soviet Union?
Correct- and Spain has yet to get any of its gold back.

Serves them right!

question said:
Thanks to a ruler dying without his own heir, this battle was necessary for England. In Western Civ, it's considered a pivotal historical year. What was the battle and who won? What was the year? [/question]

Kathianne said:
Serves them right!

Thanks to a ruler dying without his own heir, this battle was necessary for England. In Western Civ, it's considered a pivotal historical year. What was the battle and who won? What was the year?

Hastings, 1066?

Prior to defeat and death at Hastings, Harold of England defeated and killed the king of Norway, who also invaded. What was the name of the king of Norway, and what was the name of the battle?

USViking said:
Prior to defeat and death at Hastings, Harold of England defeated and killed the king of Norway, who also invaded. What was the name of the king of Norway, and what was the name of the battle?

The king: Hardrada?

the battle? I'd have to look up!

USViking said:
"Hardrada" was his nickname, "Harold", or "Harald" his first name, good enough.

Get to work on the battle!

I had to look it up: Battle of Fulford

Battle between the combined forces of earl Morcar of Northumbria and Edwin, earl of Mercia against a Danish force led by Harold Hardrada on the 20th September 1066. Morcar and Edwin were defeated. Hardrada was finally defeated and killed at the battle of Stamford Bridge a few days later by Harold II. This defeat without doubt played a great part in the defeat of Harold II in the Battle of Hastings three weeks later.

Kathianne said:
I had to look it up: Battle of Fulford

Your link gave Stamfordbridge, which is the correct answer, so I'll give it to you.

I have always read Hardrada's force was Norwegan rather than Danish; he was certainly King of Norway, not Denmark.

USViking said:
Your link gave Stamfordbridge, which is the correct answer, so I'll give it to you.

I have always read Hardrada's force was Norwegan rather than Danish; he was certainly King of Norway, not Denmark.

I must admit, don't remember much of this. William dominated our text! :D

Looking for a new historical topic, battles are not my best area! :duh3:

Kathianne said:
I must admit, don't remember much of this. William dominated our text! :D

Looking for a new historical topic, battles are not my best area! :duh3:

Ok, seems that the following people were the ones that pushed the Etruscans out:

Diodorus notes that, not Vikings:

Their aspect is terrifying...They are very tall in stature, with ripling muscles under clear white skin. Their hair is blond, but not naturally so: they bleach it, to this day, artificially, washing it in lime and combing it back from their foreheaads. They look like wood-demons, their hair thick and shaggy like a horse's mane. Some of them are cleanshaven, but others - especially those of high rank, shave their cheeks but leave a moustache that covers the whole mouth and, when they eat and drink, acts like a sieve, trapping particles of food...The way they dress is astonishing: they wear brightly coloured and embroidered shirts, with trousers called bracae and cloaks fastened at the shoulder with a brooch, heavy in winter, light in summer. These cloaks are striped or checkered in design, with the seperate checks close together and in various colours.

LOL my forefathers! :shocked:

Kathianne said:
Ok, seems that the following people were the ones that pushed the Etruscans out:

Diodorus notes that, not Vikings:

LOL my forefathers! :shocked:
The Celts, yes?

Did you know they are supposed to have gone into battle buck-ass naked?

That would make you and the other ladies more interested in battles, wouldn't it?

No new question ?
I assume it and ask a new, then the quizz will go forward.

French man of the XVIIth, he did an awesome job in the art of war. specially for the siege.
With him, the french extended border of the north, north-east and east was secure, with the theory of the "pré carré". Many of his works hold until 1870.

Who is this very able and very bright man ?

padisha emperor said:
No new question ?
I assume it and ask a new, then the quizz will go forward.

French man of the XVIIth, he did an awesome job in the art of war. specially for the siege.
With him, the french extended border of the north, north-east and east was secure, with the theory of the "pré carré". Many of his works hold until 1870.

Who is this very able and very bright man ?
Turenne?

USViking said:
The Celts, yes?

Did you know they are supposed to have gone into battle buck-ass naked?

That would make you and the other ladies more interested in battles, wouldn't it?

Very good! Yes, would make it more interesting. :teeth:

Forum List

Back