History Quiz

padisha emperor said:
These are the Goths (maybe Gothics in english), aren't they ?

Have to be more specific. Hint: Not Visigoths.

Your hint was quite the answer ;)

The gallic chief Brennus, or Brenn, took Rome around -390.
But after a long siege around the Capitole, where the senators and the patrician youthes were defending the sacred hill.
One night, during this siege, Brennus try to take by force the Capitole, but some unexpected ennemies made noise, and then the Romans were awaken, and stop the attack this night.

Who were this unexpected ennemies, making noise to give alert ?

(home it's so famous in USA than in Europe)

padisha emperor said:
Your hint was quite the answer ;)

The gallic chief Brennus, or Brenn, took Rome around -390.
But after a long siege around the Capitole, where the senators and the patrician youthes were defending the sacred hill.
One night, during this siege, Brennus try to take by force the Capitole, but some unexpected ennemies made noise, and then the Romans were awaken, and stop the attack this night.

Who were this unexpected ennemies, making noise to give alert ?

(home it's so famous in USA than in Europe)

I read about this, from a poet. Etruscans or Gauls???

padisha emperor said:
no no, you're far.

hint : I never said they were human :D

second hint : in the Capitole, there is a lot of Temples. And i believe there is a temple of Junon.

Owls?

padisha emperor said:
not far.

It was the sacred gooses of Junon. They were here because they were sacred, and they screamed when the Gallics came.

your turn ;)

Ok, this will be American history, probably easy for Americans. ;) (hey PE, you did do all those battles!)

This was probably the most decisive battle of a war, funny thing, the treaty had been concluded before the battle took place, unfortunately word traveled too late!

padisha emperor said:
Can I have a hint ? it's quite wide for me ;) (the period of this war, or anything else :) )

Tricky here, if I list combatants you'll get it right away. How's this:

19th C.

For some reason I think others are leaving this one to PE. Here's another hint:

There is a 'French connection', but not in the combatants. ;)

USViking said:
Olympe Mancini, mother of Prince Eugen of Savoy, had to flee because of the scandal. I do not know the details of her involvement.

As a young man Eugen first applied for a commision in the French army. He was turned down, I would think due to his mother's disgrace.

Helas!- if France had had his services!

Go ahead with another question.

I googled to find a bit more information, quite fascinating affair:

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache...&w=olympe+mancini&d=563CA64261&icp=1&.intl=us

The great ladies of Paris flocked to La Voisin, who accumulated enormous wealth. Among her clients were Olympe Mancini, comtesse de Soissons, who sought the death of the king's mistress, Louise de La Vallière; Mme de Montespan, Mme de Gramont (la belle Hamilton) and others. The bones of toads, the teeth of moles, cantharides, iron filings, human blood and human dust were among the ingredients of the love powders concocted by La Voisin. Her knowledge of poisons was not apparently so thorough as that of less well-known sorcerers, or it would be difficult to account for La Vallière's immunity. The art of poisoning had become a regular science.

Kathianne said:
For some reason I think others are leaving this one to PE. Here's another hint:

There is a 'French connection', but not in the combatants. ;)
The battle of New Orleans. It was fought after the treaty ending the war was signed in Europe; word had not yet gotten to the armies in Louisiana.

Question:
Last chief of state of WW2 Poland. He died in exile in the US, and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. After communism fell in Poland his remains were returned there for their final rest.

USViking said:
The battle of New Orleans. It was fought after the treaty ending the war was signed in Europe; word had not yet gotten to the armies in Louisiana.

Question:
Last chief of state of WW2 Poland. He died in exile in the US, and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. After communism fell in Poland his remains were returned there for their final rest.

Wow, talk about obscure! I wish I could say I remember reading about this, but alas. I've got the answer, but had to google-I'll give it some time and see if there are greater minds out there! :laugh:

Kathianne said:
Wow, talk about obscure! I wish I could say I remember reading about this, but alas. I've got the answer, but had to google-I'll give it some time and see if there are greater minds out there! :laugh:
Hint: he may have been the most famous concert pianist in the world.

USViking said:
Hint: he may have been the most famous concert pianist in the world.

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p...n returned poland&d=F30AC9B260&icp=1&.intl=us

Gave this a few hours, we all should have heard of this man:

MR. HAGEL: Mr. President, today I rise to introduce a resolution recognizing the accomplishments of Ignacy Jan Paderewski as a musician, composer, statesman, and philanthropist and to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the return of his remains to Poland.

Born in Poland in 1860, Paderewski is remembered for his contributions to the arts and humanities and as one of the great men of our times. Paderewski was a brilliant and popular pianist who performed hundreds of concerts in Europe and the United States during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, donating the proceeds to numerous charitable causes. During WW I, Paderewski played a central role in achieving Poland's independence, becoming the first Premier of Poland in 1919 until 1922 when he left politics and returned to music.

The German invasion of Poland in 1939 spurred Paderewski to return to politics where he fought against the Nazi dictatorship in World War II. By joining the exiled Polish Government he helped to mobilize the Polish forces and to urge the United States to join the Allied Forces.

Paderewski died in 1941. At the direction of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Paderewski's remains were placed along side America's honored dead in Arlington National Cemetery, where President Roosevelt said he may lie until Poland is free.

For over a half century, the remains of Paderewski were interned at Arlington National Cemetery. He did not live to see U.S. and Allied Forces liberate Europe from the tyranny of Nazi control. Nor did he witness the subjugation of Poland during the Soviet era. It was, however, the legacy of Paderewski that inspired movements throughout Europe, including Solidarity in Poland, which led to the liberation of Europe.

In 1992, Solidarity Leader Lech Walesa, the first democratically elected President of Poland following WW II, asked U.S. President George H. W. Bush return Paderewski's remains to his native homeland.

On July 5, 1992, Paderewski's remains were interned in a crypt at the St. John Cathedral in Warsaw Poland.

Woops- Kathianne has run off without asking a question.

Hopefully to be feted by her familiy on Mothers Day!

Question: (two answers required)
British spy dou who sensationally defected to the USSR in the early 1950s, just a step ahead of M-1 (UK Counterintel).

With Kim Philby, Anthony Burgess, and John Cairncross they formed the infamous "Cambridge" spy ring, having apparently been recruired as undergrads at the university.

Philby had been seen as a possible Chief of British foreign intel prior to the
duo's defection, which brought him under suspicion.

Burgess remained undetected for some time as curator Queen's personal art
collection!

Forum List

Back