History Quiz

Famous Frenchman who made a very essential contribution to Math. He made this discovery because he was in Artillery and wanted to be more accurate. Who is the man and what was his discovery?

IControlThePast said:
Famous Frenchman who made a very essential contribution to Math. He made this discovery because he was in Artillery and wanted to be more accurate. Who is the man and what was his discovery?
I am going to guess Descartes, and coordinate geometry,
although I am unaware of his having military experience.

Question:

British Romantic poet, ostracized by society for a private life that would be considered scandalous even today (ie incest with a sister), he gained some moral redemption by dying in Greece as a foreign volunteer in the war of Greek independence in the early 1800s.

USViking said:
Question:

British Romantic poet, ostracized by society for a private life that would be considered scandalous even today (ie incest with a sister), he gained some moral redemption by dying in Greece as a foreign volunteer in the war of Greek independence in the early 1800s.

"What foul Beast toward Bethlehem Slouches?"

Wasn't that Keats?

no1tovote4 said:
"What foul Beast toward Bethlehem Slouches?"

Wasn't that Keats?
The Second Coming "...slouches toward Jerusalem to be born"-
what a prescient line that was; I think it was by Yeats.

Keats' private life was as far as I know untarnished, and he died
of TB in Italy.

The one I am thinking of was handicapped by a clubbed foot, but was enough of an athlete to swim the Dardanelles. He was also a sidekick of Shelley, whose own private life was quite a piece of work- he tried to talk his wife into agreeing to a permanent threesome with a new girlfriend as the third.

USViking said:
The Second Coming "...slouches toward Jerusalem to be born"-
what a prescient line that was; I think it was by Yeats.

Keats' private life was as far as I know untarnished, and he died
of TB in Italy.

The one I am thinking of was handicapped by a clubbed foot, but was enough of an athlete to swim the Dardanelles. He was also a sidekick of Shelley, whose own private life was quite a piece of work- he tried to talk his wife into agreeing to a permanent threesome with a new girlfriend as the third.

And thus she wrote Frankenstein!

no1tovote4 said:
And thus she wrote Frankenstein!
Quite something for a first novel by a 20 or 21 year-old!- actually much more famous than anything her cad of a husband ever wrote. Too bad she never collected any of the 20th century royalties.

USViking said:
Question:

Answer:

Byron:

Eternal spirit of the chainless Mind!
Brightest in dungeons, Liberty! thou art,
For there thy habitation is the heart-
The heart which love of thee alone can bind.

Someone else like to ask a question?

USViking said:
Answer:

Byron:

Eternal spirit of the chainless Mind!
Brightest in dungeons, Liberty! thou art,
For there thy habitation is the heart-
The heart which love of thee alone can bind.

Someone else like to ask a question?
Please go ahead. I skipped one, so I'll defer to you!

This is pretty obscure, but maybe not for the history buffs.

This writing covers the governments of ancient Israel, Rome, Sparta, and Venice, and those of contemporary nations. This person wrote of a fictitious state with a utopian government. His government, which was a thinly veiled caricature of England, consisted of a government separated into three bodies with different roles: proposing, resolving and debating, and executing. He proposed several bodies chosen by the people, including a senate and a body of the people to make the laws, and a magistracy to execute the laws.

Who was the writer and what was the philosophical piece of his work?

Kathianne said:
This is pretty obscure, but maybe not for the history buffs.

This writing covers the governments of ancient Israel, Rome, Sparta, and Venice, and those of contemporary nations. This person wrote of a fictitious state with a utopian government. His government, which was a thinly veiled caricature of England, consisted of a government separated into three bodies with different roles: proposing, resolving and debating, and executing. He proposed several bodies chosen by the people, including a senate and a body of the people to make the laws, and a magistracy to execute the laws.

Who was the writer and what was the philosophical piece of his work?

James Harrington, The Commonwealth of Oceanna

JayW said:
James Harrington, The Commonwealth of Oceanna
Very good. Just wondering newbie, did you google? Not verboten, but it's expected that you acknowledge.

IN any case, ask the next question.

Kathianne said:
Very good. Just wondering newbie, did you google? Not verboten, but it's expected that you acknowledge.

IN any case, ask the next question.

Ah, I get to ask a question now.... (and no I didn't google the answer)

What book, first published in 1939, continues to help millions of people recover?

Forum List

Back