History Quiz

USViking said:
I googled "Dostoevsky-Grand Inquisitor", and it a scene from
The Brothers Karamazov

That should be good enough.

Why don't you take the question?- I'm tiring early tonite.

Sure.

Which pilot shot down the Red Baron?

Said1 said:
Sure.

Which pilot shot down the Red Baron?

I knew who the Red Baron was, this Canadian might be a bit obscure! :laugh:
I think I found it, through google. If Marbles is around, perhaps he'd know.

Said1 said:
You don't remember when Yosimite Sam was the Red Baron?? :D

Is this the guy?

http://www.briggsenterprises.com/bluemax/
On April 21, Richthofen followed the Sopwith Camel of Wilfred May far into British territory. The end of the war was only months off by this time, and the Germain air command faced both ever-improving British airplanes and their own dwindling numbers. The thrill of the hunt was all but gone for Baron von Richthofen, as most of his peers had already been killed and his own wounds agonized him. Though the German air doctrine he himself wrote stated that "one should never obstinately stay with an opponent which, through bad shooting or skillful turning, he has been unable to shoot down while the battle lasts until it is far on the other side", he chased his British quarry far deeper into enemy territory and far lower to the ground than his own doctrine permitted. May later said that it was only his erratic, untrained piloting which saved him. Richthofen followed the erratic path of the novice pilot until a single bullet, shot from behind him, passed diagonally through his chest. The shot is commonly believed to have come from Australian gunners on the ground, but might have also come from the guns of Canadian flier Arthur "Roy" Brown who was coming to May's aid. Manfred von Richthofen crashed into a field alongside the road from Corbie to Bray. His body was recovered by British forces, and he was buried with full military honors.

Forum List

Back