History Quiz

Said1 said:

Thank you my dear. Now Viking, the bowing smilie has it's uses, but right now, this :slap: one may do nicely! :funnyface

Easy one. This is the city, village really, in Illinois that Joseph Smith thought might be good for him and his followers. Ummm, he was wrong.

Kathianne said:
Thank you my dear. Now Viking, the bowing smilie has it's uses, but right now, this :slap: one may do nicely! :funnyface

Easy one. This is the city, village really, in Illinois that Joseph Smith thought might be good for him and his followers. Ummm, he was wrong.

You told me this via pm some time ago, but I won't cheat. :)

Said1 said:
Again, another close guess. If you had chosen :firing: or :sleep: I would have let you have it. Too bad, ya snooze, ya looze.

Kathianne said:
Thank you my dear. Now Viking, the bowing smilie has it's uses, but right now, :slap: this one may do nicely! :funnyface

I know when I'm whupped.

I might be stupid, but I ain't crazy!

Goodnight, ladies.

USViking said:
I know when I'm whupped.

I might be stupid, but I ain't crazy!

Goodnight, ladies.

I know you are really tired, but we do enjoy a bit of fun! Get some sleep then we can pick on ya some more. :bye1:

:bow3: feel better?

Kathianne said:
Ok, go and answer, let's try to get some action going, he pooped out!

I'll answer, but I'm not sure if it's right either, in fact I'm sure it's mostly wrong. Ok, here goes: Neuveux?

I think I might pack it into, my chocolate high is wearing off - thanks JOHNNEY!

Said1 said:
I'll answer, but I'm not sure if it's right either, in fact I'm sure it's mostly wrong. Ok, here goes: Neuveux?

I think I might pack it into, my chocolate high is wearing off - thanks JOHNNEY!

Oui if you are French! Nauvoo if you are from Illinois!

Nauvoo

Profile of Joseph Smith, Jr. (circa 1843) by Bathsheba Bigler Smith, first wife of George A. Smith and mother of George Albert SmithAfter leaving Missouri in 1839, Smith and his followers made headquarters in a town called Commerce, Illinois on the banks of the Mississippi River, which they renamed Nauvoo (meaning "to be beautiful"; Latter Day Saints often refered to Nauvoo as "the city beautiful", "the city of Joseph"—which was actually the name of the city for a short time after the city charter was revoked—or other similar nicknames) after being granted a charter by the state of Illinois. Nauvoo was quickly built up by the faithful, including many new arrivals.

In March 1842, Smith was initiated as a Freemason (as an Entered Apprentice Mason on March 15, and Master Mason the next day—the usual month wait between degrees was waived by the Illinois Lodge Grandmaster, Abraham Jonas) at the Nauvoo Lodge, one of less than a half-dozen Masonic meetings he attended. He was introduced by John C. Bennett, a mason from the northeast.

Work on a temple in Nauvoo began in the autumn of 1840. The cornerstones were laid during a conference on 6 April 1841. Construction took five years and it was dedicated on May 1, 1846; about four months after Nauvoo was abandoned by the majority of the citizens. The temple was burned in 1848 and the remnants of the structure were destroyed by a tornado later that year.

Nauvoo's population peaked in 1845 when it may have had as many as 12,000 inhabitants — rivalling Chicago whose 1845 population was about 15,000.

[edit]
Controversy in the City Beautiful
On the evening of May 6, 1842, a gunman shot through a window in Governor Boggs' home, hitting him four times. Sheriff J.H. Reynolds discovered a revolver at the scene, still loaded with buckshot and surmised that the suspect lost his firearm in the dark rainy night.

Some Saints saw the assassination attempt positively given Boggs' history of acting against the Church: An anonymous contributor to The Wasp, a Mormon newspaper in Nauvoo, wrote on May 28 that, "Boggs is undoubtedly killed according to report; but who did the noble deed remains to be found out."

Several doctors—including Boggs' brother—pronounced Boggs all but dead; at least one newspaper ran an obituary. To everyone's great surprise, Boggs not only survived, but gradually improved. The popular press—and popular rumor—was quick to blame Smith's friend and sometime bodyguard Porter Rockwell for the assassination attempt. By some reports, Smith had prophesied that Boggs would die violently, leading to specuation that Smith was involved. Rockwell denied involvement, stating that he would not have left the governor alive if he had indeed tried to kill him.

Also at about this time, Bennett had become disaffected from Smith and began publicizing what he said was Smith's practice of "Spiritual Wifery" (Bennett, earlier a pro-polygamy activist, knew of Smith's revelation on plural marriage and encouraged Smith to advocate the practice publicly. When this was rejected by Smith, Bennett began seducing women on his own and was subsequently excommunicated for practicing "Spiritual Wifery"[6] (http://www.centerplace.org/history/ch/v2ch26.htm),). He stepped down as Nauvoo mayor--ostensibly in protest of Smith's actions--and also reported that Smith had offered a cash reward to anyone who would assassinate Boggs. He also reported that Smith had admitted to him that Rockwell had done the deed and that Rockwell had made a veiled threat on Bennet's life if he publicised the story. Smith vehemently denied Bennett's account, speculating that Boggs—no longer governor, but campaigning for state senate—was attacked by an election opponent. Bennett has been identified as "untruthful" by many historians and is seldom used as a reputable source.

Critics suggested that Nauvoo's charter should be revoked, and the Illinois legislature considered the notion. In response, Smith petitioned the U.S. Congress to make Nauvoo a territory. His petition was declined.

In February, 1844, Smith announced his candidacy for President of the United States, with Sidney Rigdon as his vice-presidential running mate.

[edit]
King Follett Discourse
Two months before his death, Smith delivered a discourse on the nature of God at the funeral of Elder King Follett. Although the address was not properly recorded or approved by Smith as official doctrine, it remains one of his most famous speeches. See King Follett Discourse.

[edit]
Smith's Death
Eventually, several of Smith's disaffected associates—some of whom asserted that Smith had tried to seduce their wives in the name of plural marriage—joined together to publish a newspaper called the Nauvoo Expositor. Its only issue was published June 7, 1844.

Artist's rendition of Smith's death.The bulk of the paper was devoted to three main Criticisms of Smith: The opinion that Smith had once been a true prophet, but had fallen by advocating polygamy, Exaltation, and other controversial doctrines; The opinion that Smith, as both Mayor of Nauvoo and Church president held too much power, which was further consolidated by the overwhelmingly Mormon make-up of the Nauvoo courts and city council, who intended establishing a theocracy via the Council of Fifty; and the belief that Smith had corrupted women by forcing, coercing or introducing them into plural marriage.

The Nauvoo City Council passed an ordinance declaring the newspaper a public nuisance designed to promote violence against Smith and his followers. They reached this decision after lengthy discussion, including citation of William Blackstone's legal canon, which included a libellous press as a public nuisance. Under the council's new ordinance, Smith, as Nauvoo's mayor, in conjunction with the city council, ordered the city marshall to destroy the paper and the press on June 10, 1844. By the city marshall's account, the destruction of the press type was carried out orderly and peaceably. However, Charles A. Foster, a co-publisher of the Expositor, reported on June 12 that additionally to the printing press being destroyed, the group which he dubbed "several hundred minions ... injured the building very materially" as well [7] (http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech17.htm), though this is contradicted by the fact that the building was in use for at least another decade.

Smith’s critics were outraged, charging him with violating freedom of the press. Some sought legal charges against Smith for the destruction of the press, including charges of inciting riot and treason. Violent threats were made against Smith and the Mormon community. Warrants from outside Nauvoo were brought in against Smith, and dismissed in Nauvoo courts on a writ of habeas corpus. Smith declared martial law on June 18 and called out the Nauvoo Legion, a private militia of about 5,000 men, to protect Nauvoo from outside violence.

Smith soon submitted to arrest. Illinois Governor Ford proposed a trial in Carthage, the county seat, and guaranteed Smith's safety. Smith agreed and stayed in the Carthage Jail, under the Governor's promised protection. Ford agreed to stay in Carthage, but left not long after Smith went to stay at the jail. The unsympathetic "Carthage Greys", a local militia, were assigned to protect Smith at his second-floor room. Smith was joined there with his brother, Hyrum, Dr. Willard Richards, and John Taylor.

On June 26, 1844, Smith sent message to Major-General Johnathan Dunham of the Nauvoo Legion that he should lead the militia to the jail in order to protect and accompany Smith and his associates back to Nauvoo. Dunham decided to ignore Smith's order, fearing such an action would instigate a major conflict that could erupt into civil war. Dunham informed no one of Smith's order, or of his own decision regarding it.

Before a trial could be held, a mob of about 200 armed men (some painted as Indians) stormed Carthage Jail in the late afternoon of June 27, 1844. As the mob was approaching, the jailer became nervous, and informed Smith of the group. In a letter dated July 10, 1844, one of the jailers wrote that Smith, expecting the Nauvoo Legion, said "Don't trouble yourself ... they've come to rescue me."

The Carthage Greys reportedly feigned defense of the jail by firing shots or blanks over the attackers’ heads, and some of the Greys reportedly joined the mob, who rushed up the stairs.

The mob fired shots through the door and attempted to push the door open to fire into the room. Smith attempted to defend himself and his associates with a small pepper-box pistol that Cyrus Wheelock gave to Smith when he came to visit him at the jail. Smith's gun misfired several times, but he possibly hit as many as three men.

Ultimately, Hyrum was shot four times and killed. John Taylor was shot and severely injured, but survived the attack with Richards' aid. Smith was also hit several times as he made his way towards the window.

Most accounts report that before or as Smith fell from the window, he called "Oh Lord, my God!" or some similar phrase [8] (http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/josephsmithsdeath.htm#Masonic Cry), which some have noted is similar to "Oh, Lord, My God, is there no help for the widow's son?" a traditional masonic call for aid. These last recorded words have led to speculation that his statement was a call for aid from any Masons in the mob, but this is purely conjecture.

There are varying accounts of what happened next. Some claim Smith was dead when he landed after his fall; other accounts suggest Smith was alive when mob members propped his body against a nearby well and shot him before they fled. Another account claims one man tried to decapitate Smith for a bounty, and died in the act; there were reports that thunder and lightning frightened the mob off. Mob members fled, shouting, "The Mormons are coming," although there was no such force nearby

Said1 said:
How is it pronounced?

See, didn't I tell you I remember the most obscure things people tell me. :tinfoil:
If I could only learn how to spell!

I'm bad at this, hearing and all. But:

Knaw (short a) voo (rhymes with you)

Pretty much how you wrote it in French.

Kathianne said:
I'm bad at this, hearing and all. But:

Knaw (short a) voo (rhymes with you)

Pretty much how you wrote it in French.

LOL. I almost got hit by a bus this morning! I think I might need that white stick sooner than I thought.

Ask another question if you want, myhead is starting to hurt.

Said1 said:
LOL. I almost got hit by a bus this morning! I think I might need that white stick sooner than I thought.

Ask another question if you want, myhead is starting to hurt.

Wow, glad the bus missed you, may have hurt someone! :teeth:
You ask, I need to think...

Kathianne said:
Wow, glad the bus missed you, may have hurt someone! :teeth:
You ask, I need to think...

For sure,especially if my coffee was tragically spilted! :mad:

What international body (organization) did the US use topublicly embarrass Krushchev during the Cuban missle crisis?

Said1 said:
For sure,especially if my coffee was tragically spilted! :mad:

What international body (organization) did the US use topublicly embarrass Krushchev during the Cuban missle crisis?
What is UN?

USViking said:
I googled "Dostoevsky-Grand Inquisitor", and it a scene from
The Brothers Karamazov

That should be good enough.

Why don't you take the question?- I'm tiring early tonite.

I was thinking of Tomas de Torquemada of the Spanish Inquisition :tng:

IControlThePast said:
I was thinking of Tomas de Torquemada of the Spanish Inquisition :tng:

I'll take it, as other than you I'm the only one here. Post a question as Drac didn't.

Forum List

Back