History Quiz

In order to prevent England and France from getting along, this ruler tried to make a deal with England. England wouldn't go along with the scheme.

Hint: It's West v. West meets East

Who was the ruler? What was the war? What was the immediate cause of the war?

Kathianne said:
In order to prevent England and France from getting along, this ruler tried to make a deal with England. England wouldn't go along with the scheme.

Hint: It's West v. West meets East

Who was the ruler? What was the war? What was the immediate cause of the war?
England and France almost never got along until the 15 or so years before WW1 (precipitated by Ferdinand's assasination), so I would have to guess the ruler is Kaiser Wilhelm, although I am not aware of any significant overtures made by Germany toward England.

USViking said:
England and France almost never got along until the 15 or so years before WW1 (precipitated by Ferdinand's assasination), so I would have to guess the ruler is Kaiser Wilhelm, although I am not aware of any significant overtures made by Germany toward England.

Not Wilhelm, not Germany.

The only times prior to the 20th century that I know of England and France acting at all in concert were the 3rd Crusade, a brief war against Spain during Cromwell's rule, and the Crimean War.

I'll go with the Crimean War, precipitated by Russia's predations against Turkey, with the Czar as the ruler. I don't recall if the Czar would have been
Nicholas I, or Alexander II.

USViking said:
The only times prior to the 20th century that I know of England and France acting at all in concert were the 3rd Crusade, a brief war against Spain during Cromwell's rule, and the Crimean War.

I'll go with the Crimean War, precipitated by Russia's predations against Turkey, with the Czar as the ruler. I don't recall if the Czar would have been
Nicholas I, or Alexander II.

It was Nicholas I and he was concerned about reapproachment between France and England. He wanted to keep England out of Constantinople, but thought he might have to put troops there for a bit, though didn't really want to. He suggested an independent Moldavia and Wallachia, a Serbia under Russian protection, and an independent Bulgaria, to the foreign minister of Britain.

Britain replied that France would have to be consulted, but the British press got ahold of it and made hay out of the trickery of their government. So no meetings were ever held or deals consumated.

Meanwhile, the Franco-Prussian war broke out over Palestinian areas. Thus the beginning of the Crimean War.

There have been weird times before.

Your question.

USViking said:
OK- here's a fastball:

Question:
US ambassador to the UK during WW ONE, unlike Joseph Kennedy 20 years later, he was resolutely pro-British.

Page? Paige?

USViking said:
Dang- some fastball!

Walter Hines Page is the man. A high school in my hometown, Greensboro, N.C. is named after him.

Your question.

There is a school named for him around here. I read the plaque.

This lawyer/abolishionist defended a politician, later a Union general of murdering his wife's lover, by the insanity defense. He called Lincoln, the 'original gorilla.' Who was this man and what cabinet post did he hold during the Civil War?

Kathianne said:
There is a school named for him around here. I read the plaque.

This lawyer/abolishionist defended a politician, later a Union general of murdering his wife's lover, by the insanity defense. He called Lincoln, the 'original gorilla.' Who was this man and what cabinet post did he hold during the Civil War?
Daniel Sickles.

Later, as the one-legged (he lost one at Gettysberg) US ambassador to Spain, this great Lothario of the ages seduced the Queen herself. Are you sure he was in the cabinet, however? I thought the only wartime cabinet change was Fessenden for Chase.

USViking said:
Daniel Sickles.

Later, as the one-legged (he lost one at Gettysberg) US ambassador to Spain, this great Lothario of the ages seduced the Queen herself. Are you sure he was in the cabinet, however? I tought the only wartime cabinet change was Fessenden for Chase.

I'll give it to you. I was thinking of Staton and Secretary of War. Sickles is the guy he defended.

Your question...

Kathianne said:
I'll give it to you. I was thinking of Staton and Secretary of War. Sickles is the guy he defended.

Your question...
Ah- I misunderstood- sorry!

Question:
Arch-Keynesian economist and Harvard Professor who was ambassador to India in the Kennedy-Johnson era. In his memoires he wrote he dreampt
Foggy Bottom State Dept. HQ had been destroyed by some calamity, and went back to sleep hoping it was true, and that there were no survivors.

USViking said:
Ah- I misunderstood- sorry!

Question:
Arch-Keynesian economist and Harvard Professor who was ambassador to India in the Kennedy-Johnson era. In his memoires he wrote he dreampt
Foggy Bottom State Dept. HQ had been destroyed by some calamity, and went back to sleep hoping it was true, and that there were no survivors.

No need to be sorry, my sloppy question.

To yours: Galbraith!

Kathianne said:
No need to be sorry, my sloppy question.

To yours: Galbraith!

Easy one. Most of USMB members are this kind of democrats. He loaded his cabinet with obscure names, though one became a president later.

Kathianne said:
Easy one. Most of USMB members are this kind of democrats. He loaded his cabinet with obscure names, though one became a president later.
In my part of the country straight-ticket Democrats are known as "Yellow-dog Democrats". However, there has never been a President Yellow-dog.

Do you mean Wilsonian Democrats? FDR was Wilson's Secretary of the Navy, I believe, and was not so nationally prominent at the time of his appointment.

USViking said:
In my part of the country straight-ticket Democrats are known as "Yellow-dog Democrats". However, there has never been a President Yellow-dog.

Do you mean Wilsonian Democrats? FDR was Wilson's Secretary of the Navy, I believe, and was not so nationally prominent at the time of his appointment.

No, it's a common historical connection, but you could substitute 'war mongers' for democrats...

Forum List

Back