History Quiz

USViking said:
I'm drawing a blank on this one.

hint: His inauguration was a meeting of the people in Washington. A bit of a ruckus actually.

Kathianne said:
hint: His inauguration was a meeting of the people in Washington. A bit of a ruckus actually.
I thought it might be Jackson-Van Buren, but googled Van Buren, and he had been both Senator and Governor of New York, so was nationally prominent at the time he entered the cabinet.

Still a blank.

USViking said:
I thought it might be Jackson-Van Buren, but googled Van Buren, and he had been both Senator and Governor of New York, so was nationally prominent at the time he entered the cabinet.

Still a blank.

Jackson is correct. Van Buren was the only 'known' name, though not outside of NY. Remember the time and the media!

Your question...

Kathianne said:
Jackson is correct. Van Buren was the only 'known' name, though not outside of NY. Remember the time and the media!

Your question...

Question:
Cabinet post held by Herbert Hoover during the Coolidge administration.

USViking said:
Question:
Cabinet post held by Herbert Hoover during the Coolidge administration.

Secretary of Commerce. Question for teacher of SS to jr high kids? :laugh:

Question:

Emerson and Thoreau are the most widely known of the transcendentalists, name two others. What was transcendentalism about, in general terms?

Kathianne said:
Secretary of Commerce. Question for teacher of SS to jr high kids? :laugh:

Question:

Emerson and Thoreau are the most widely known of the transcendentalists, name two others. What was transcendentalism about, in general terms?
I forgot who I was talking to!

And I am afraid I'm stuped again. I give it some time before I google.

USViking said:
I forgot who I was talking to!

And I am afraid I'm stuped again. I give it some time before I google.

I'll give you a hint in a few, unless someone can at least say what transcendentalism was about! C'mon people! This is your history. How do you think Thoreau got to Civil Disobedience? If not for him, what about Ghandi and MLK Jr?

Kathianne said:
I'll give you a hint in a few, unless someone can at least say what transcendentalism was about! C'mon people! This is your history. How do you think Thoreau got to Civil Disobedience? If not for him, what about Ghandi and MLK Jr?
I'm weak here.

I do now recall an episode when Thoreau was in the slammer, and Emerson asked him why he was in there, to which Thoreau replied why aren't you in here with me?

USViking said:
I'm weak here.

I do now recall an episode when Thoreau was in the slammer, and Emerson asked him why he was in there, to which Thoreau replied why aren't you in here with me?

You are on the right tract. Think!

OK- google gives me Margaret Fuller and Theodore Parker as other Transcendentalists.

The movement stressed use of intuition in the search for truth, unique Americanism in Arts and Letters, abolition, peaceful protest, and questioning of religious orthodoxy.

Question:
First Western thinker to advocate religious toleration, even of atheists,
this French philiosopher shuttled betwen Catholicism and Protestantism during his career, and may have ultimately embraced scepticism himself.

USViking said:
OK- google gives me Margaret Fuller and Theodore Parker as other Transcendentalists.

The movement stressed use of intuition in the search for truth, unique Americanism in Arts and Letters, abolition, peaceful protest, and questioning of religious orthodoxy.

Question:
this French philiosopher shuttled betwen Catholicism and Protestantism during his career, and may have ultimately embraced scepticism himself.

I'll grant you all of that. Can you place it in laymen's terms, so those that are reading through can grasp? Post your next question.

Sidebar: I am starting to post more info on my answers. The level of questions and answers, (yes, PE included), have been great. Seems to me, we should be able to grasp a tad here and there without having to search out for ourselves.

If we know, fine-state the answer and a bit. If googled, dogpiled, Wikied, whathaveyou, copy and paste it!

Kathianne said:
I'll grant you all of that. Can you place it in laymen's terms, so those that are reading through can grasp? Post your next question.

Sidebar: I am starting to post more info on my answers. The level of questions and answers, (yes, PE included), have been great. Seems to me, we should be able to grasp a tad here and there without having to search out for ourselves.

If we know, fine-state the answer and a bit. If googled, dogpiled, Wikied, whathaveyou, copy and paste it!
I would not mind trying, except your knowledge of the subject would make for a much better exposition than anything I might be able to exrtract from google- go ahead!

USViking said:
I would not mind trying, except your knowledge of the subject would make for a much better exposition than anything I might be able to exrtract from google- go ahead!

Naw, my knowledge is no better than yours or anyone else's. Read the google and translate to terms we all relate to. I teach enough! :laugh:

USViking said:
W-a-a-a! I'll do it later!

What about my question from 7:06pm?

bump:

Question:

Kathianne said:
bump:

Question:
William Penn

Forum List

Back