History Quiz

Kathianne said:
This Illinois Senator helped pass the Civil Right Legislation of 1964. He also supported the Open Housing Act of 1968. He criticized Truman, was friends with Ike, and enthusiastically backed LBJ, as a Republican.
Gotta be Everett Dirksen.

Few people are aware that the Civil Rights Act was supported by over 80% of the Senate Republican members, the most notable and unfortunate exception being Barry Goldwater.

I'll repost my last Question:
FDR's second VP- he seems actually to have become a communist dupe by the time he later ran as the Progressive party candidiate.

USViking said:
Gotta be Everett Dirksen.

Few people are aware that the Civil Rights Act was supported by over 80% of the Senate Republican members, the most notable and unfortunate exception being Barry Goldwater.

I'll repost my last Question:
FDR's second VP- he seems actually to have become a communist dupe by the time he later ran as the Progressive party candidiate.

Dang it, you are correct on Dirkesen. Man, I was sure on La Follette. Now I'm at a loss!

Kathianne said:
Dang it, you are correct on Dirkesen. Man, I was sure on La Follette. Now I'm at a loss!
C'mon baby- think of that wild election they had in 1948. Four candidates polled over a million votes, including the answer to the question.

The other three were Truman, Dewey, and Thurmond.

USViking said:
C'mon baby- think of that wild election they had in 1948. Four candidates polled over a million votes, including the answer to the question.

The other three were Truman, Dewey, and Thurmond.

Henry A. Wallace, but I had to google it!

USViking said:
Henry A. to the dustbin of history!

Your question.

The first _______appeared in Ben Franklin's newspaper The Pennsylvania Gazette on May 9, 1754. It appeared as part of an editorial by Franklin commenting on 'the present disunited state of the British Colonies.'

What was the 'blank'?

Kathianne said:
The first _______appeared in Ben Franklin's newspaper The Pennsylvania Gazette on May 9, 1754. It appeared as part of an editorial by Franklin commenting on 'the present disunited state of the British Colonies.'

What was the 'blank'?

Propoganda?

Kathianne said:

What was the 'blank'?

I know this one. It was the first Editorial Cartoon.

USViking said:
There was some chaos after the 1800 election.

Was Aaron Burr President, sort of-maybe for a day?
Self proclaimed Alexander Haig?

Said1 said:
I say google, no1 appears to be gone.

Not clear if this is what was meant:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/04/23/60II/main287292.shtml

The Day Reagan Was Shot

April 24, 2001

Alexander Haig (Photo: CBS)

(CBS) Imagine that the United States is threatened by a nuclear enemy when, suddenly, both the president and vice president are taken out of the picture. Who would make decisions of war and peace? That may sound like a Tom Clancy novel, but it happened 20 years ago, the day Ronald Reagan was shot.

In that moment, our nation was in the hands of men in the White House crisis center known as the Situation Room. No one could be sure exactly what happened in there until now, thanks to a series of audiotapes that were locked away for two decades. Scott Pelley reports on what Americans didn’t know about the afternoon of March 30, 1981.

Ronald Reagan had been president for 70 days when he walked out of a Washington hotel. With six shots, John Hinckley wounded four men: press secretary James Brady, police officer Tom Delahanty, secret service agent Tim McCarthy and the president.

At the White House, Secretary of State Alexander Haig was trying to reach vice president George Bush in a plane over Texas. The communication was not very good. Finally, he simply told Bush to “turn around.”

Hurrying to the situation room, national security advisor Richard Allen made sure he had three things; a copy of the constitution, the codes to release our nuclear weapons and a cheap Sony tape recorder. White house lawyer Fred Fielding immediately prepared for a transfer of presidential power.

Mr. Reagan had just collapsed in the emergency room.

The question hanging over the Situation Room was whether all this was a Soviet plot that could lead to war. That very day, a Soviet invasion of Poland seemed a real possibility. And Soviet missile subs were moving in, closer to our coast than usual. Mr. Reagan was headed to surgery and would soon be unconscious.

“While we were there in the hallway,” recalls presidential counselor Ed Meese, “the president was being wheeled from the emergency room to the operating room and he saw the three of us standing there and he said, ‘Who’s minding the store?’”

Over the next few hours, three men would assert control of the Situation Room and U.S. nuclear forces. When it was clear the president was unconscious, Haig famously declared himself in charge.

“So the ... helm is right here,” he said at the time. “And that means right in this chair for now, constitutionally, until the vice president gets here.”

Haig, a retired four-star general, was once chief of staff to Richard Nixon and was now Reagan’s secretary of state.

“What I meant was, we had to run a government,” Haig says now. “We had to have an authority to send all the messages out, to speak should we find it was a conspiracy and to take appropriate action, if necessary, pending return of the vice president.” [...]

Forum List

Back