History Quiz

Alright, alright, it was Pierre Bayle (1647-1706):

http://www.geocities.com/teoi143/philosophy/bayle/bayle.html

(quotes from the link):
"Bayle is well known for his attack upon religion, which is strange when one considers than he himself was Protestant. Bayle believed religion contained many contradictions and was terribly illogical to the point that atheism made more sense, however he maintained fideism, a philosophical view that morality and religion has to be taken on faith, not reason. Typically the fideist view is true belief in right and wrong but there is no attempt to prove why it is. Some believe Bayle was indeed an atheist or agnostic although claiming to be Protestant. Despite how alien this may seem, Bayle knew that was important to criticize his own Christian faith and he did not feel he was going against it through doing so. Because religion and morality do not depend on reason but on faith, Bayle did not think his skepticism was a serious threat to established religion. Fideism was his one defense against the view that he was attacking the church, despite this the church felt that he was a great threat, as his view ultimately leads to relativism about morals and how to live.

Bayle pointed out the impossibility to answer atheists objections to theological views in his book Continuation des pensées diverses (Continuation of the Various Thoughts,1704). Bayle also discussed the Problem of Evil at length in much of his philosophy, presenting a major problem for theologians although he was not the first to discover this problem. The problem is fairly simple and is as follows: The definition of God is all-loving, all-powerful, and all-knowing. If God is all-loving he would not want pain and suffering to exist in the world, if he is all-powerful he would be able to prevent all pain and suffering. However pain and suffering exist. While this problem does not disprove the existence of God it shows an incredible inconsistency in the definition of God which is still debated even today. Leibniz wrote extensively on the Problem of Evil."

Someone else take the next question.

USViking said:
Alright, alright, it was Pierre Bayle (1647-1706):

http://www.geocities.com/teoi143/philosophy/bayle/bayle.html

(quotes from the link):
"Bayle is well known for his attack upon religion, which is strange when one considers than he himself was Protestant. Bayle believed religion contained many contradictions and was terribly illogical to the point that atheism made more sense, however he maintained fideism, a philosophical view that morality and religion has to be taken on faith, not reason. Typically the fideist view is true belief in right and wrong but there is no attempt to prove why it is. Some believe Bayle was indeed an atheist or agnostic although claiming to be Protestant. Despite how alien this may seem, Bayle knew that was important to criticize his own Christian faith and he did not feel he was going against it through doing so. Because religion and morality do not depend on reason but on faith, Bayle did not think his skepticism was a serious threat to established religion. Fideism was his one defense against the view that he was attacking the church, despite this the church felt that he was a great threat, as his view ultimately leads to relativism about morals and how to live.

Bayle pointed out the impossibility to answer atheists objections to theological views in his book Continuation des pensées diverses (Continuation of the Various Thoughts,1704). Bayle also discussed the Problem of Evil at length in much of his philosophy, presenting a major problem for theologians although he was not the first to discover this problem. The problem is fairly simple and is as follows: The definition of God is all-loving, all-powerful, and all-knowing. If God is all-loving he would not want pain and suffering to exist in the world, if he is all-powerful he would be able to prevent all pain and suffering. However pain and suffering exist. While this problem does not disprove the existence of God it shows an incredible inconsistency in the definition of God which is still debated even today. Leibniz wrote extensively on the Problem of Evil."

Someone else take the next question.
go ahead Said1.

I found this on google:

http://www.bri.net.au/medicine.html

(quote from the link):
"HEADACHE Red ash (Alphitonia excelsa)
Headache vine (Clematis microphylla)
Rock fuchsia bush (Eremophila)
Liniment tree (Melaleuca symphyocarpa)
Tamarind (Tamarindus indica)
Snakevine (Tinospora smilacina) Bathe with crushed leaves in water
Crushed leaves inhaled
Leaf decoction drunk
Crushed leaves rubbed on head
Fruit pulp rubbed on head
Mashed stems wound around head"

Ought to be good enough!

Question:
(Back to real histroy)
FDR's second VP- he seems actually to have become a communist dupe by the time he later ran as the Progressive party candidiate.

USViking said:
I found this on google:

(quote from the link):
Crushed leaves inhaled
Leaf decoction drunk

Ought to be good enough!

Question:
(Back to real histroy)
FDR's second VP- he seems actually to have become a communist dupe by the time he later ran as the Progressive party candidiate.

No it isn't good enough, because it's wrong. :funnyface"

The answer is willowbark, not on the above list. Perhaps the wording was wrong again, I didn't been Australian Aborigines, I meant North American.

Said1 said:
No it isn't good enough, because it's wrong. :funnyface"

The answer is willowbark, not on the above list. Perhaps the wording was wrong again, I didn't been Australian Aborigines, I meant North American.
The answer is correct, since you did not specify which aboriginals you were talking about.

And I would not use that term in the US!- unless you want the PC police to run you out of town, after you have been tarred and feathered.

Now please answer my own clearer, more reasonable question.

USViking said:
The answer is correct, since you did not specify which aboriginals you were talking about.

And I would not use that term in the US!- unless you want the PC police to run you out of town, after you have been tarred and feathered.

Now please answer my own clearer, more reasonable question.

I live in the land of the Politically Correct and we say that here and so do they. So there. :finger3:

Question:
(Back to real histroy)

I thought I had better repost the question since an unnamed yapping female
bypassed it with twiticisms.

USViking said:
Question:
(Back to real histroy)

I thought I had better repost the question since an unnamed yapping female
bypassed it with twiticisms.

Not knowing the answer does not make the question anymore redundant than some of the questions a certain unnamed tool has been posting either. But it's all good, his contributions are still tolerated nonetheless. :tng:

USViking said:
I found this on google:

(quote from the link):
Crushed leaves inhaled
Leaf decoction drunk

Ought to be good enough!

Question:
(Back to real histroy)

I didn't know you two had finished up and asked a question.

Battling Bob La Follette

This Illinois Senator helped pass the Civil Right Legislation of 1964. He also supported the Open Housing Act of 1968. He criticized Truman, was friends with Ike, and enthusiastically backed LBJ, as a Republican.

Forum List

Back