History Quiz

David Rice Atchison was President for a Day....

He even had it on his tombstone. Atchison was asked what he did on that momentous day he was President. His reply, "I went to bed."

This is actually a popular myth. The story came about because James Polk's term of office ended on a Saturday, and Zachary Taylor refused to be sworn in the next day because it was the Sabbath. Instead he was sworn in on Monday. The Constitution at the time stated that the President Pro Tempore of the Senate was 3rd in line and since neither a President or a VP were sworn in, that made Atchison next in line.

The only fault with this is that noone is the President until they are sworn in and since nobody was actually sworn in as President on that day we were actually without a President for a 24 hour period.

no1tovote4 said:

He even had it on his tombstone. Atchison was asked what he did on that momentous day he was President. His reply, "I went to bed."

This is actually a popular myth. The story came about because James Polk's term of office ended on a Saturday, and Zachary Taylor refused to be sworn in the next day because it was the Sabbath. Instead he was sworn in on Monday. The Constitution at the time stated that the President Pro Tempore of the Senate was 3rd in line and since neither a President or a VP were sworn in, that made Atchison next in line.

The only fault with this is that noone is the President until they are sworn in and since nobody was actually sworn in as President on that day we were actually without a President for a 24 hour period.

You still get the next question.

no1tovote4 said:

Alright, that's not as bogus as I thought it would be.

Someone ask another question. I only feel like answering, if I can.

no1tovote4 said:
He was paid quite a bit but not what he demanded. Yours is not right either.

Think higher on the demand lower than 10k on the actual pay.

$7k? Something between 1k-10k? :laugh:

Kathianne said:
$7k? Something between 1k-10k? :laugh:

Close enough....

Answer: Benedict Arnold (1741-1801) demanded £20,000 from the British but received only £6,315. In exchange, he revealed American battle plans, tried (but failed) to deliver West Point, and crossed over to the British army. Although Arnold was given 13,400 acres of land in Canada after the war, he lived the rest of his life in England.

Here is a link to the letter that he wrote to the inhabitants of the US, attempting to excuse his actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold's_letter_To_the_Inhabitants_of_America

no1tovote4 said:
Close enough....

Answer: Benedict Arnold (1741-1801) demanded £20,000 from the British but received only £6,315. In exchange, he revealed American battle plans, tried (but failed) to deliver West Point, and crossed over to the British army. Although Arnold was given 13,400 acres of land in Canada after the war, he lived the rest of his life in England.

Here is a link to the letter that he wrote to the inhabitants of the US, attempting to excuse his actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold's_letter_To_the_Inhabitants_of_America

At the Post Chapel at West Point, there are plaques on the wall, commemorating the service of many Revolutionary War generals. On Benedict Arnold's plaque, the name has been carved out, along with the date of death.

no1tovote4 said:
Close enough....

Whoops, with Viking missing and a certain blond friend not reminding me, I kinda forgot!

Try this:

Graduated from Harvard in 1745. 1757 he succeeded his father as Plymouth County sheriff. He became involved in state politics during the Stamp Act crisis of 1765; he began a 12-year term in Massachusetts General Court the following year. An outspoken opponent of British rule, an active Patriot, he associated with John and Abigail Adams and Samuel Adams. He became president of the Provisional Congress; he also served during the war first as Paymaster General, where he worked with George Washington in Cambridge, then as a member of the Continental Navy Board. After the war, he feared that the ideals of the Revolution were being forgotten in the formation of the new government put him at odds with many leaders, particularly Gov. John Hancock, and made it increasingly difficult for him to gain election to state office.

Kathianne said:
Whoops, with Viking missing and a certain blond friend not reminding me, I kinda forgot!

Try this:

Graduated from Harvard in 1745. 1757 he succeeded his father as Plymouth County sheriff. He became involved in state politics during the Stamp Act crisis of 1765; he began a 12-year term in Massachusetts General Court the following year. An outspoken opponent of British rule, an active Patriot, he associated with John and Abigail Adams and Samuel Adams. He became president of the Provisional Congress; he also served during the war first as Paymaster General, where he worked with George Washington in Cambridge, then as a member of the Continental Navy Board. After the war, he feared that the ideals of the Revolution were being forgotten in the formation of the new government put him at odds with many leaders, particularly Gov. John Hancock, and made it increasingly difficult for him to gain election to state office.

Hmmm, one man who's never eaten in my kitchen. :banana:

Remember that? From the Cliff Clavin on Jeopordy episode?

Said1 said:
Hmmm, one man who's never eaten in my kitchen. :banana:

Remember that? From the Cliff Clavin on Jeopordy episode?

Never saw Cliff on jeapordy, either at work or something! Read about him though.

So the answer?

Forum List

Back