Hogan’s Heroes Was Cancelled Because It Made Fun of WW2

40acres_aerial_1965.jpg

Hogan's Heroes was a great show that had a long run, (1965 - 1971) especially for sitcoms in that era. Ironically, I saw it aired in Germany when I was there on a business trip in 1997. The Germans spoke German, and the Americans and the other Allies spoke German. Very funny!

I read where people that did not like the show believed that WW 2 was not funny. The prison camps were not funny. The concentration camps were not funny. Lots of dead people. Making the Germans at that time look like morons was far more different then reality. But also the major networks were changing. The TV shows became much more urban in presentation with more grittiness and the introduction of political issues. Whether comedy or drama.

Canceled after 168 episodes in 1971. Great run. Great show IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's when TV was decent. I watch the old Archie Bunkers, Jeffersons, Sanford & Son and Carol Burnett and Gomer and all that on youtube. I haven't but glanced at a modern TV or a of it's "offerings" in nearly 20 years

Yet:

74 years ago today, April 11, 1945, Robert Clary was liberated from Buchenwald Nazi concentration camp. He was the youngest of 14 children. Twelve other members of his immediate family were sent to Auschwitz. Clary was the only survivor. When he returned to Paris after the war, he learned that 3 of his siblings had not been taken away & survived the Nazi occupation of France. He played LeBeau on the TV show "Hogan's Heroes."
View attachment 255546

Robert Clary - Wikipedia
I do not believe that it was cancelled for that reason.

It was a good show but never a number one hit and it grew stale as many shows do over time.

I am not sure what silliness this claim is based on, but the show lasted longer than World War Two. :lol:

Hogan's Heroes was cancelled due to CBS' rural purge Many shows that were still popular was cancelled. These were the shows that were cancelled in the same year as Hogan's Heroes alone.

Forum List

Back