Home security

i have this interesting gun. its called a savage 24. it shoots both a 12 gauge shot shell and a winchester 30 30 round.

:thup:

I was just referring to this firearm a few weeks ago in another thread.

The 20 gauge/30-30 is (The Savage 24-V model) is on my 'want' list.

i have this interesting gun. its called a savage 24. it shoots both a 12 gauge shot shell and a winchester 30 30 round.

it's a shame they don't make them anymore. I've been seeing a few of them at gun shows recently. mostly the 22 LRs

I'd recommend a Great Dane. With the disabilities of both the OP and his wife the odds are a gun can be taken from them and used on them. Get a Great Dane; no one is not intimidated by this gentle giant. Then sign up for first alert, wear the band/alarm at all times. With the intense bark of the GD and the voice of the first alert monitor most intruders will get the hint and take a hike.

A Great Dane is too much dog for an older couple with health issues. There are many medium-size breeds that would work better for such a couple but still provide a very effective detterent.

not to mention feeding, walking and all the other care it requires

This is exactly why I would never recommend a dog for home protection only.

If you love dogs, I would encourage it...but a dog is up to an 18+ year lifestyle commitment with numerous expenditures of both money and time.

Not good advice IMO for a purely home defense role.

A Great Dane is too much dog for an older couple with health issues. There are many medium-size breeds that would work better for such a couple but still provide a very effective detterent.

If you love dogs, I would encourage it...but a dog is up to an 18+ year lifestyle commitment with numerous expenditures of both money and time.

exactly, dogs take work and are a commitment. it's one tihng if you enjoy them and want them as a pet, bu to take one on for the purpose of only security is crazy. they are a lot of work and an expense. god forbid they shoot your dog too, then what

Dogs have many benefits beyond home protection. Certainly many more than any other form of 'protection.'

it's a shame they don't make them anymore. I've been seeing a few of them at gun shows recently. mostly the 22 LRs

California wants to ban all shotgun/rifle combinations...that's the thread we were discussing it in...what lunacy.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-regulations-in-the-nation-3.html#post6802904

I was reading that my beloved H&R Handi-Rifles are also on the way out. Cheap bolt actions are pushing out the single shots. So at the moment, my firearm investing is solely going into the barrels I want before they are no longer available.

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

I'd recommend a Great Dane. With the disabilities of both the OP and his wife the odds are a gun can be taken from them and used on them. Get a Great Dane; no one is not intimidated by this gentle giant. Then sign up for first alert, wear the band/alarm at all times. With the intense bark of the GD and the voice of the first alert monitor most intruders will get the hint and take a hike.

My youngest son and his wife have two Great Danes, they do eat quite a lot. But both are lap dogs (or at least thing they are) and don't require too much exercise. They're smart and very intimidating when protecting their owner. An older couple need not fear tripping over them.

I had a St. Bernard in college, other than the drools he was a great dog. When he spoke, everyone listened - dogs and people. My last dog was a mixed breed German Shepard/ Keeshhound, she weighed 54 pounds and was the best watch dog. Her warning bark was sharp and befitting a dog much larger and more vicious.

Once I was working in the garage and a salesman came in uninvited and she scared the piss out him. She didn't bite him but bared her teeth and told him off. I told him not to run, had he done so I'm not sure how she would have reacted. When I found out what he was doing I told her he was OK and she immediately calmed down.

In that case no harm was done; some of those gun owners who post here seem to want to be able to use their gun(s) on another human being - as I noted above some seem to have very active fantasy lives. I suppose George Zimmerman had the same sort of fantasy.

exactly, dogs take work and are a commitment. it's one tihng if you enjoy them and want them as a pet, bu to take one on for the purpose of only security is crazy. they are a lot of work and an expense. god forbid they shoot your dog too, then what

That's like saying "what if a home invader steals your gun?" The difference is that your gun won't die trying to protect you and your gun CAN be turned against you. There's a lot to recommend a dog. There's a lot to recommend planting land mines all around your home. There are choices to be made.

California wants to ban all shotgun/rifle combinations...that's the thread we were discussing it in...what lunacy.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-regulations-in-the-nation-3.html#post6802904

I was reading that my beloved H&R Handi-Rifles are also on the way out. Cheap bolt actions are pushing out the single shots. So at the moment, my firearm investing is solely going into the barrels I want before they are no longer available.

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

smart move, you never know what is coming down the pike.

That's like saying "what if a home invader steals your gun?" The difference is that your gun won't die trying to protect you and your gun CAN be turned against you. There's a lot to recommend a dog. There's a lot to recommend planting land mines all around your home. There are choices to be made.

if someone comes into my home, i'll hear them coming. my gun will be in hand long before they get to me. i've seen so many cases where guard dogs have been rendered ineffective by a chunk of meat. they are real easy to distract

if someone comes into my home, i'll hear them coming. my gun will be in hand long before they get to me.

How do you know? You don't sleep? I'd bet a hell of a lot more on a dog hearing someone coming in than you. How about your dog really does hear someone and wakes you up so you can get your gun? How about your dog makes a racket and the thief decides another home might be less trouble?

My youngest son and his wife have two Great Danes, they do eat quite a lot. But both are lap dogs (or at least thing they are) and don't require too much exercise. They're smart and very intimidating when protecting their owner. An older couple need not fear tripping over them.

I had a St. Bernard in college, other than the drools he was a great dog. When he spoke, everyone listened - dogs and people. My last dog was a mixed breed German Shepard/ Keeshhound, she weighed 54 pounds and was the best watch dog. Her warning bark was sharp and befitting a dog much larger and more vicious.

Once I was working in the garage and a salesman came in uninvited and she scared the piss out him. She didn't bite him but bared her teeth and told him off. I told him not to run, had he done so I'm not sure how she would have reacted. When I found out what he was doing I told her he was OK and she immediately calmed down.

In that case no harm was done; some of those gun owners who post here seem to want to be able to use their gun(s) on another human being - as I noted above some seem to have very active fantasy lives. I suppose George Zimmerman had the same sort of fantasy.

probably most are just saying in a world that has been allowed to go mad they don't intend to sit back and take shit should shit come there way. the bottom line is you don't belong in my house uninvited. or anyones house uninvited. if you choose to come in you assume the risk associated. it's no fantasy. it's making a choice to take a stand

probably most are just saying in a world that has been allowed to go mad they don't intend to sit back and take shit should shit come there way. the bottom line is you don't belong in my house uninvited. or anyones house uninvited. if you choose to come in you assume the risk associated. it's no fantasy. it's making a choice to take a stand

Ok...the needle is starting to move in the direction of 'Bunker Nut'.............

if someone comes into my home, i'll hear them coming. my gun will be in hand long before they get to me.

How do you know? You don't sleep? I'd bet a hell of a lot more on a dog hearing someone coming in than you. How about your dog really does hear someone and wakes you up so you can get your gun? How about your dog makes a racket and the thief decides another home might be less trouble?

like i said, i have seen many dogs rendedered inneffective very easily. all dogs aren't junk yard dogs. but in your example, at least i have a gun. but if you don't have one, where are you? if someones coming in, i'll hear them. i can reach a gun without getting out of bed.

Ok...the needle is starting to move in the direction of 'Bunker Nut'.............

yea, whatever

but in your example, at least i have a gun. but if you don't have one, where are you? .

You are in a house with a dog making a shit load of noise. Probably not the house a thief wants to work if there are other options.

yea, whatever

That's what I thought.

Forum List

Back