House GOP-led hearing on deregulation of gun silencers cancelled after shooting

Comparing a Hitman and gangbanger is like apples and oranges. They are both fruits (sociopathes) but that is about it.

A Hitman is a professional with some type of training and doesn't want to get caught (bad for business). Also the purpose of a hit is most likely just to kill the targets.

A gangbanger is most likely untrained and don't have the ability to think about the future to far in advance. Also the likely purpose of a drive by or shooting is to instill fear from everyone around.

If gun laws don't stop bad guys from getting anything they want, why isn't silencer usage wide spread for thugs?

1. Because they don't work as well as people think they do
2. Most thugs don't care if they make noise when using firearms.
3. The ones that actually use them are probably professionals, which is why you don't hear about their use because those guys don't get caught as often.

Really?
1. Wouldn't have to be perfect to be useful.
2. Bullshit.
3. We're talking about thugs. Not someone in a Jason Borne movie.

1. Again, they don't work like they do in the movies, especially with rifles.
2. Not Bullshit. Do you really think gangbangers care if they make noise or not? If they really wanted to use silencers, anyone with basic metal crafting skills can make one.
3. There are actual professional hitmen out there, and again, if they use these things, it is probably hand made by themselves.

Nope, but they do work petty good. I've used one like in the video, and it's more than pretty good.
Yes gang bangers care if they make noise. Perhaps not every time, but they aren't always in the middle of a gang war.
Hit men are a little more common than unicorns. Not a realistic issue in this conversation.

So if they are so easy to make, why not allow ranges to have some under controlled situations to protect shooter's hearing?

Calling a suppressor a silencer proves the person in question doesn't have a clue what you are talking about. A suppressor works by slowing the escaping gases coming from a weapon when it is fired with a slight reduction in noise.The round is still traveling a supersonic speeds so you still get the crack. If you want to further reduce noise you can use subsonic ammunition. The issue with subsonic rifle ammunition is that most modern semi-auto weapons are gas operated and unless they are modified accordingly you've turned your semi into a useless single shot firearm.

By the way anyone can buy a suppressor you just have to pay for the tax stamp. Any criminal can make a suppressor mag-lights make great ones. oil filters, I've even seen them made from PVC pipe. Last suppressors don't just snap on like a Lego block the barrel of the firearm has to be threaded.

If gun laws don't stop bad guys from getting anything they want, why isn't silencer usage wide spread for thugs?

3. The ones that actually use them are probably professionals, which is why you don't hear about their use because those guys don't get caught as often.

Really?
2. Bullshit.

2. Not Bullshit. Do you really think gangbangers care if they make noise or not? If they really wanted to use silencers, anyone with basic metal crafting skills can make one.
3. There are actual professional hitmen out there, and again, if they use these things, it is probably hand made by themselves.

Nope, but they do work petty good. I've used one like in the video, and it's more than pretty good.
Yes gang bangers care if they make noise. Perhaps not every time, but they aren't always in the middle of a gang war.
Hit men are a little more common than unicorns. Not a realistic issue in this conversation.

So if they are so easy to make, why not allow ranges to have some under controlled situations to protect shooter's hearing?
Because the tax stamp cost $200 dollars per suppressor even if they are homemade you have to pay the tax.

Really?
2. Bullshit.

Not really practical or useful.
First you need a weapon with a threaded barrel which of course most people dont have.
So they'd be shooting unsuppressed making it necessary to wear ear protection anyway.

I hope they do deregulate suppressors, guns are too loud!

Disagree. I don't want silencers for the same reason I don't like mufflers on motorcycles. Yes the excess noise is aggravating, but if you can't see where they are, the sound can help you pinpoint their location. It can mean the difference between life and death for the rider of the bike and the person who is the target of a shooter.

Because they make firearms more difficult to conceal and they really don't silence them.

No. They don't completely silence them. I understand that gun nuts see no need for anything that is less than 100% effective. If someone came up with a cancer cure that was only 95% effective. You would claim it as worthless because it didn't work every time.

Because they make firearms more difficult to conceal and they really don't silence them.

No. They don't completely silence them. I understand that gun nuts see no need for anything that is less than 100% effective. If someone came up with a cancer cure that was only 95% effective. You would claim it as worthless because it didn't work every time.

I guess the first part of my answer just flew right over your pathetic snowflake, tin foil covered, pointy little head.

There is no need for silencers...they hide crimes.

We use hearing protectors and they work just fine.

I guess the first part of my answer just flew right over your pathetic snowflake, tin foil covered, pointy little head.

We can get to that part in a minute.explain why less than 100% is useless.

Why should I explain something I never said, I'd like to have one for my hog gun, wouldn't disturb the neighbors so much.

Why should I explain something I never said, I'd like to have one for my hog gun, wouldn't disturb the neighbors so much.

You didn't say _"they really don't silence them" ?

You didn't say _"they really don't silence them" ?

I didn't say less than 100% makes them useless, those were your words. Are you too senile to remember what YOU said?

Forum List

Back